FINALLY! Kiki's Delivery Service receiving the Blu Ray treatment

Topic started by AgentJ on Aug. 10, 2012. Last post by AgentJ 1 year, 11 months ago.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

For years, since the first Studio Ghibli movies were released in their little blu (sic) boxes, I've been patiently waiting for some word on Kiki's Delivery Service and what I thought was an inevitable release on the Blu Ray format. And what a wait it has been. I first saw the movie not long after HD DVD kicked the dust in 2008. FOUR YEARS, I have been stuck cutting my eyes on the poor picture quality that DVDs offer. But finally, the movie is making its conversion in Japan, where Kiki has been listed for a release in early December for dear Nippon. Which means an American release is just around the corner.

The film occupies a slot in my 638 movie ranking as the fourth-best movie of all time, and nearly every film I own on the superior format is in my top 20 (there's no reason to see Rush Hour 2 in HD). The absence of such a beloved movie of mine from my collection has been rankling me since the day I bought the other top four.

Yet there are still favorites of mine that have not received the Blu Ray treatment in the States, both animated. And while Disney will eventually get to The Hunchback of Notre Dame (as soon as 2013, if Wikipedia is to be believed), I'm rather worried about The Place Promised in our Early Days. Japan has its own release, without an English dub or sub. None of Shinkai's films have found themselves on the superior format yet (though Children who Chase Lost Voices is scheduled to release on the Blu in November, thanks to the wonderful awesome Sentai). Here's hoping TPPIOED (doesn't roll off the tongue, does it?) is thought to be worthy at some point or another.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel