Featured Figures #01: Saiyans, Catgirls, Bounty Hunters & Boobs!

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on April 6, 2012. Last post by Daniel_Newton 2 years, 7 months ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,243 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Welcome to Featured Figures; a blog feature highlighting a handful of figures, my thoughts on them, the dents they'd leave in your wallet and maybe even links to sites you can buy them from. Let me know what you want to see from these blogs and I'll see what I can do.

Son Goku SSJ, 1/8th scale, Clear Hair Ver. (Medicos Entertainment)

Screaming, as usual
Screaming, as usual

This is easily one of the most bad-ass Dragon Ball Z figures I've seen, and boy has there been a lot of DBZ figures over the years. Not only does this Goku figure have really great looking clothes--all the folds and highlights look really great--but look at that hair. Dude has glass hair, well... I imagine it's really semi-transparent plastic, but it certainly looks the part.

This is version 2 of the figure, with the original featuring boring not-awesome hair, so clearly this is the version to get. The equally awesome Super Saiyan aura around Goku's feet is also a great touch.

What do you think? Is glass hair cool or weird?

Goku is listed at ¥9,200 on Amazon Japan (approx $112 or £71) and $117 on Hobbyfan but currently out of stock.

Samus Aran, 1/8th scale, Zero Suit ver. (Max Factory)

Sleek Samus
Sleek Samus

I have a weird relationship with Metroid games. I acknowledge that they're great, in fact I think very highly of them, but I don't think I've ever finished any of them. Particularly whenever I take a crack at Metroid Prime, I just don't get on with it, not really sure why. Maybe I'll finish one eventually, in the meantime I'll just admire gorgeous figure renditions of Samus like this Metroid: Other M figure from Max Factory. If it's too hard to tell Samus is a woman with her power suit on, there's certainly no question when she takes it off.

I love how sleek this figure looks, I don't know if Samus normally looks as tall as she does here, but I guess I haven't played Other M so maybe one of you knows better than me. There's some nice detail on the gun, and the Metroid looks great too.

Samus can be pre-ordered for $103 on Hobbyfan (approx £65) or $130 on J-List (approx £82)

Kobato Hasegawa & Maria Takayama, 1/7th scale (Max Factory)

Super cute
Super cute

Okay, I haven't watched Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai yet, but these figures are adorable. These are sold as two separate figures, but as you can tell they obviously go together, which is a classic trick to get twice as much of your hard-earned money from you.

I literally can't find fault with either of these figures. They're cute, the hair looks good (while not quite as glassy-looking as Goku's hair, it's similar) and their outfits look especially great. I appreciate it when sculptors put in extra effort to make the clothes look separate from the figure, you know, like actual clothes. Like the "Zero Suit" Samus is wearing, these playboy-style catgirl outfits are super glossy.

These figures can be pre-ordered for $88 each on Hobbyfan (approx £55) or $105 each on J-List (approx £66)

Chifusa Manyuu, 1/4th scale (A+)

Skimpy Samurai
Skimpy Samurai

For those with more risqué tastes we have Chifusa Manyuu from Manyuu Hikenchou. The biggest figure in this selection at 1/4th scale making it more of a statue than a figurine. Chifusa comes with a katana and completely removable attire that already barely covers her expanding bust (in the show, the figure itself doesn't expand... that would be weird).

I'm not really sure why her hair is so blue, I'm pretty sure it was black in the anime, but I like how... soft she looks. That probably sounds weird, but it's easy for figures to look very solid since they're made of plastic, and this doesn't. If you're looking for something a little lighter on clothing and bigger in size, this may be the figure for you. With that sword it would probably make a pretty good letter-opener too I guess.

Chifusa can be pre-ordered for $210 on Hobbyfan (approx £132) with extra shipping fees.

What do you think of these figures? Ready to order one? Or are you like me, preferring to appreciate them from afar instead?

Daniel Newton is a moderator for Anime Vice and Screened. Follow him on twitter: @Daniel_Newton and @AnimeVicers

Other posts:Oreimo Season 2 Announced!

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

The figures are cool and I can appreciate the detail put into them but damn they are expensive. I'm not much of a figurine guy so I'll just look. Too bad the Chifusa one is censored. lol

@sotyfan16: I knew someone would mention that. You're welcome.

Yeah, anime figures are pretty expensive, but it's kind of the same as everything anime-related in Japan so it's understandable I guess, people over there obviously keep buying them. To be fair I think I'd be happier paying for a really nice figure than a ridiculously-priced Japanese anime release, you can appreciate all the work put into a well-sculpted figure.

I think official shots of anime figures are great images to add to the wiki, so I thought a good use for the images would be blog posts like these. I've always thought Anime Vice could do with figure pages (and soundtrack pages for that matter), that would be cool.

@Daniel_Newton:

It would. There are some users who would fill them out religiously.

And queue me "Wowed." The detail they put into those breasts must have taken some delicate work. *insert any perverted additional statement*

likes to import various items from Japan and they don't come cheap. Still, the quality the Japanese companies put into products is amazing-be it a figure or a boxset.

@sotyfan16: I would fill the hell out of figure and soundtrack pages.

Some figures have crazy little details on them, then others are just weird. Take the Highschool of the Dead figures for example. Those figures are pretty good, but strangely, the nipples have no colour. Like... why would they not colour them? They look so strange. Don't understand that design choice at all. I mean it's not like I'd buy a Saeko figure or something and have her topless on my desk anyway, but some people would.

Huh, maybe these blog posts will end up being weekly discussions about figure design. Wonder where is hiding. Pretty sure he's the resident figure-guy around here.

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

These are cool. A bit too much for me though, but I was never into action figures and stuff like that as a kid. There were some Panty & Stocking nenodroid-ish figures I was thinking about buying, but even brand new they were close to 1/3 the price of the cheapest one on here.

@sotyfan16 said:

Still, the quality the Japanese companies put into products is amazing-be it a figure or a boxset.

Yeah, they tax hard for anime-related goods but everything is definitely premium quality and if you're into it, you're definitely getting your money's worth. I purchased the Hayate no Gotoku movie and it was like $80 with shipping, which is a lot, but it came with

• BD Copy (with bonus scenes) & DVD copy (theatrical cut)
  • 5 film cells
  • a booklet
  • 300+ page storyboard book for the whole movie
  • a case that about NISA thick

Compare that to all of the non-NISA anime that I buy, which usually comes in a sleeve and the only bonus items is a flier for another series or a survey card that I have to pay postage on. You definitely see where the extra money is going whenever you purchase a JP release. Even on their cheaper release you get a lot of on-disc stuff. My Book of Bantorra sets were like 14 episodes per set, were only about $45 per (including shipping) and came with a total of 10 or some commentary tracks, 10 audio dramas, and a ton of other special features like music videos, cast interviews, etc. Some of my older US anime releases have things like that but nothing I've purchased in the last 3-4 years has come anywhere close that level of content, especially not on a $45 release.

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,357 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@Daniel_Newton: I am not hiding (at least, not by choice), but I have been getting quite loaded with homework the past two weeks and it has been cutting into my free time that I usually spend here on AV or on Playfire.

I used to do a Weekly Figure Blog (2 or 3 Figures + one Figma/Nendroid figure in each of the 4 entries) last year, but I stopped after the 4th one or so. I don't consider myself a expert on figures, but I do appreciate them and I look forward to expanding my current figure collection (now at 4 figures) with another purchase by the end of the year.

I have been adding figure images to the page here on AV off and on every so often or so.

Post by Sonata (35,629 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Would love to have that Samus and Goku figures. Goku looks damn epic.

@Daniel_Newton said:

@sotyfan16: I mean it's not like I'd buy a Saeko figure or something and have her topless on my desk anyway, but some people would.

Oh I would. But I'm just a big perv who gets a laugh out of people's reactions at random objects and a naked girl figure would do the trick. That makes me sad about the HOTD figures.

Post by takashichea (13,769 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

For fans of Metroid, it's love or hate on Other M. Fans hate Other M because it portrays Samus as a weak woman who has daddy issues, and it has problems with the missiles since you have to go into first person to shoot missiles and 3rd person to reload.

For the positive things: People love Other M because it is a different experience to hear Samus talk and mature throughout the series. The game is fun when you see Samus pull off super cool moves and owns her enemies.

You have to play it to see if you really love this game.

I heard that some people figure out Samus is a girl by judging her hips which are circular. Don't take my word for it. I don't really see it.

Post by Bigheart711 (4,181 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I'll share my opinion from back at Screened with all of you on this site as well (because I love you).

I thought all of them looked great, especially the Goku figure (There's a certain term for that, but i'll just say that he looks cool as hell.) and the Chifusa figure. (So sue me! ...I like it. *blush*) I also agree that the Samus figure looks like it's out of proportion with her legs, but that's more of a manufacturing issue than anything else. Note me if I'm wrong about that, though.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Figure collecting seems like a really slippery slope, once you start it only gets worse. Kind of tempted by a Kuroneko figure and some Im@s nenroids, but the shipping, tax and handling fees I'd get on top of the alredy steep prices would be around another £30.

Also, all the figures you posted look really good.

@sickVisionz said:

My Book of Bantorra sets were like 14 episodes per set, were only about $45 per (including shipping) and came with a total of 10 or some commentary tracks, 10 audio dramas, and a ton of other special features like music videos, cast interviews, etc.

Wow, that's pretty damn impressive. Nice.

@ShadowKnight508: Well owning 4 figures makes you more of an expert than me, I'm just blogging about figures I don't own, haha. I do own a Dr. Who Dalek and a little Mario Kart toy though, I guess they might count for something.

@sotyfan16 said:

@Daniel_Newton said:

@sotyfan16: I mean it's not like I'd buy a Saeko figure or something and have her topless on my desk anyway, but some people would.

Oh I would. But I'm just a big perv who gets a laugh out of people's reactions at random objects and a naked girl figure would do the trick. That makes me sad about the HOTD figures.

Haha fair enough. Yeah, I really don't understand why they did that with the HOTD figures, but hey.

@Petiew: Yeah I've seen a lot of really nice Oreimo figures I wouldn't mind owning. I'm so excited about season 2 of that show, oh man.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel