Fan Ranking of Best Anime of 2011

Topic started by Dream on Dec. 6, 2011. Last post by AURON570 3 years ago.
Post by Dream (8,259 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Considering I recently did a video listing of my thoughts on the best anime of 2011, figured I'd get Vice member opinions on the matter over the next month. This is pretty standard. List off from 1-5 what you found to be the best anime titles that came out this year on TV, OAV, ONA or movie format from best to least. I plan to total these up by points depending on the point ranking of each title with first choice getting 5 points all the way down to the fifth title getting 1 point. I will rack up the scores and then present the totals after the end of this month. This is just something I want to do for fun, so don't take opinions from others you don't agree with too personally. To start things off, here are my top 5 anime titles for 2011 for those who haven't seen my video.

1. Mawaru Penguindrum
2. Fate/ Zero
3. Wandering Son
4. Usagi Drop
5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Post by Asune (1,191 posts) See mini bio Level 12

1- Fate/Zero

2- Persona 4

That's all for me

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,358 posts) See mini bio Level 19

1. Beelzebub

Unfortunately, that is the only new anime that I have committed time to this year. Been busy trying to catch up on One Piece (watched from Ep. 30 to Ep. 332 in 7 months) and slog through BLEACH (Episode 109 at the moment).

You know...it's high time for me to beat you into submission...
You know...it's high time for me to beat you into submission...
Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19

1- Mawaru Penguindrum

2- Level E

3- Steins;Gate

4-Usagi drop

5- Yozakura quartet

*EDIT: I almost forgot about Level E

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I am so far behind it's barely funny. I'm probably going to wait until the end of the year to answer because right now 3 of my 5 answers are "season 2s". Since, I'm having to stretch to come up with 5 for 2011, I know I need to see more before I make even a partially educated attempt.

Post by takashichea (14,323 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I don't watch a lot of new shows because I'm behind and usually watch shows that my teammates and little sister + lil' bro watch.

1. Guilty Crown
  2. Sket Dance (Does this count, too?)
  3. Beelzebub (Same with Sket Dance)
  4. Blue Exorcist
  5. Carnival Phantasm
Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I haven't watched a whole lot of anime this year and there was a few anime I began watching that i got lazy with(but i still want to go back and watch them).

1. Toriko

2. Hunter X Hunter

3. Guilty Crown

4. Deadman Wonderland - I only saw about half but I will go back and finish it at some point.

5. Steins; Gate - again only saw about 6 episodes...I want to finish the series at some point.

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I can only think of three that were worth of anything resembling "best of 2011":

1. Baka to Test to Shokanjuu Ni
  2. Usagi Drop
  3. Kimi ni Todoke 2
Post by DocHaus (936 posts) See mini bio Level 18
There have been a bunch of "Best of" lists popping up around GB, so I guess it was inevitable we'd have some here for annie mae. If you guys need help, here's a list of all the anime that appeared in 2011, though you may have to use your own judgment as to which ones premiered or continued or whatever in this year.

Anyways, my personal best of 2011 because I can't sleep right now and I blame all of you.
  1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Holy shit this one really came out of fucking nowhere, and unlike the other stuff on this list it wasn't an adaptation of another work but an original story. It was a meta look at the magical girl genre and it was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo and even knowing this it still smacked me upside the head. Definitely not something to watch if you want to feel happy the next morning, but otherwise a very, very good show.
  2. Level E: Only 11 episodes, based off one of Togashi's oldest works that even he probably forgot about until someone decided to fund an anime of it. Various short stories about aliens living on Earth, loosely connected by a Prince known for trolling everyone, alien or not. In terms of sales, it bombed, so that's probably the last we'll ever hear of it, but every single story either made me laugh or freaked me out. Either way, they made me sit up and wait for the next episode with a lot of anticipation.
  3. Nichijou: Yeah, that's right. You wanna fight about it? It was a mixture of slice-of-life situations we've all been in at some point with some of the most weird comedy this side of Japan. One minute you'd have an eight-year-old child genius building a humanoid robot who runs on biscuits, the next you'd have Yukko forgetting her homework and begging her classmates for help. It was at turns heartwarming and hilarious, and I'd love it if there was ever some sort of follow-up, but am completely satisfied with what they did animate.
  4. Un-Go: A detective show where the story actually keeps you guessing and tosses in a few red herrings, as opposed to Gosick where the real culprit became evident within the first few minutes of the case. But more than the characters I actually care about the setting the show takes place in, a place where Japan imposed a dictatorship upon itself to deal with a terrorist threat and now refuses to let its newfound powers slip away even as the threat has come down. It's not quite finished at the time of this post, but it's the best damn detective story set in the (near-)future I've seen in awhile, even with the supernatural elements that have poked their head in lately.
  5. Steins;Gate: Another sci-fi tale based around a guy who sees himself as a MADO SCIENTISTO bent on conquering the world, yet complete with his own flaws. Chaos;Head was boring the few episodes of it that I did watch, but Steins;Gate just clicked with me for some reason. I didn't even really mind the otaku stereotypes, as they actually bounced off of each other instead of became separated in their own little worlds. I still need to watch the last few episodes, but it was pretty good.
  6. Yondemasu yo Azazel-san!: This one might've slipped under your radar, a lewd comedy featuring various demons summoned by a private detective and his hapless assistant, with episodes that were half as long as normal. The humor in them tilted towards the gross side with things like poop, vomit and sex popping up constantly, but somehow it fit within the context of the story and I felt really bad for laughing at it even as I did so anyway. Definitely not for everyone, but it is really unique in a weird way.
Also, honorable mentions to the start of Sket Dance and Beelzebub animes, along with a new season of Gintama, because those stories are going to go on for a long time and I'll catch up with them at some point in the future. Maybe. Who knows? Also Hanasaku Iroha...I haven't seen enough of that to decide if it's in my "Best Of" list, so it gets an Honorable Mention as well.
Post by Sophronimos (118 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Post by AURON570 (573 posts) See mini bio Level 15

1. Ano Hana

2. Steins;gate

3. Chihayafuru

4. Hanasaku Iroha

5. Nichijou

Question, is it allowed to nominate long, still-on-going series like One Piece? I mean.. technically it's airing in 2011. It's just it's not finished yet and started airing over 10 years ago. I still wouldn't nominate it just because I'm not that far into One Piece where I'm watching episodes that aired in 2011, but I'm sure there is someone out there who wants to nominate it. :\

Honorable mentions: Bunny Drop, Mawaru Penguindrum, Persona 4

Things I wish I could have checked out: Level E, Bakuman, Blue Exorcist, Denpa Onna, Fate/Zero, Future Diary, Last Exile: Fam, Natsume's Book of Friends, Un-Go, Working.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel