Eff you guys! I made a Worst Anime of 2011 list!

Topic started by asian_pride on Dec. 25, 2011. Last post by Black_Rose 2 years, 9 months ago.
Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18

To counter my Best of 2011 list, I decided to make a Worst of 2011 one. Why, you ask? Well firstly, because I needed to get this shit off my chest; two, in addition to catching up with older shows, I decided to have some "fun" watching really dumb and terrible shows on top of that; three, it's a bad habit of mine I can't shake off; and four, it's to let ya'll know which shows you definitely should avoid. These are the worst of the worst, the most putrid and foulest garbage you will ever see in your entire lives...or at least for the year 2011.

You can definitely make the argument that it's my fault for actually bothering to watch these horrible shows, but look at it this way; I'm doing you a favor.

1. Freezing

Sexy anime ladies with big boobs, tons of panty shots, a lot of clothing getting ripped off but carefully covers the really juicy parts--the ultimate fanservice for you 20-40 year-old creeps, isn't it? Okay, that's probably taking it too far, but you get my point, right? On top of that, the story is terrible and the main character's a wimp. Ugh.

2. Mashiro-Iro Symphony

It's a romance/harem show. It's cheesy. It's dumb. Cute, right? Fuck. No.

3. Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Another one of those "action" shows that's more interested in fanservice more than anything. This, in particular, tries to turn you on with lolis by you know, sex-ing them up a bit. That's awesome, right? Yeah, sure, in a really pedophiliac-type of way.

4. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

I swear, everybody in this show is fucking retarded, in the most annoying way possible. And I think that's all you need to know.

5. Maken-ki!

It's like Freezing, only that it's more light-hearted than the latter. So I guess it's a little better.

6. Majikoi - Oh! Samurai Girls!

A group consisting of powerful martial artists that go around town doing the most useless and dumbest things. You know, stuff that's only possible in a generic harem like this. Oh yeah, and most of them are sexy anime ladies! Who have the hots for the main character! That's good, right?

7. A Bridge to Starry Sky

Oh, it's another generic harem. Not even going to bother...

8. Blood-C

Blood-C is a weird show. It tries to blend the serious side of its story with a hint of slice of life. Unfortunately, it's not a good fit, and it's poorly done as well. In short, you're stuck with a extremely bland and boring mess. Plus, the character designs are hideous.

9. C3 (Cube x Cursed x Curious)

I think C3's biggest mistake is it trying to be different from the rest of the action/horror type of shows. The results are pretty much disappointing, and it's bogged down by a lot of--you guessed it--ecchi fanservice. You know, panty-shots and the like. The story is also too convoluted for my taste, and I lost interest halfway.

10. Ben-To

Oh, where do I begin with this one? When I first heard about it, I thought it was going to be one of those dumb-but-funny shows that I was going to like ironically. It seemed that way for the first few episodes, then it quickly became a dumb show that wasn't fun at all. The pacing in the story is horribly inconsistent; I feel like I watched a show with more fillers than a story with actual forward momentum. It's attempts to be funny and character development are mediocre or poorly done at best. Needless to say, it's not worth your time.

Merry Christmas ya'll. Stay safe.

Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I think you're criteria's messed up, apart from a few all of these shows are pretty decent and most got anime because they were popular/successful mangas.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Hah, love the name of this thread.

Man, there's a bunch of stuff on this list I want to check out at some point. I sure hope I enjoy them more than you did! Hang on, aren't the characters in Boku wa supposed to be kind of retarded? Aren't they part of some oh-god-we're-socially-awkward-so-we're-in-this-club-to-make-friends club? Isn't it kind of, like, the whole point?

Anyway, great thread, Merry Christmas!

Post by Sophronimos (118 posts) See mini bio Level 13

About 6. - the VN is actually one of the better ones in its genre, the one at fault is the anime. It completely got rid of game's strong points and made it into generic fanservice-oriented ecchi instead. All interesting and likeable characters has been reduced to the simpliest form of harem element with hardly any trace of original's personality, the plot is messed up and humor crude at best. So if any ever has a chance to play the game, don't give it up only because the anime was bad.

Post by DocHaus (932 posts) See mini bio Level 18

I agree with most of the stuff on this list, though Ben-to is funny and haganai is more of a guilty pleasure imo.

Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@Newten said:

Hah, love the name of this thread.

Man, there's a bunch of stuff on this list I want to check out at some point. I sure hope I enjoy them more than you did! Hang on, aren't the characters in Boku wa supposed to be kind of retarded? Aren't they part of some oh-god-we're-socially-awkward-so-we're-in-this-club-to-make-friends club? Isn't it kind of, like, the whole point?

Anyway, great thread, Merry Christmas!

Thanks! Yeah, I kinda stated the obvious in that show but I thought I was the only one thinking it. Glad I'm not xD

I know that this is a Worst of 2011 list, but yes, I kind of did enjoy watching some of them regardless of good or bad quality just to have a good laugh.

@Sophronimos said:

About 6. - the VN is actually one of the better ones in its genre, the one at fault is the anime. It completely got rid of game's strong points and made it into generic fanservice-oriented ecchi instead. All interesting and likeable characters has been reduced to the simpliest form of harem element with hardly any trace of original's personality, the plot is messed up and humor crude at best. So if any ever has a chance to play the game, don't give it up only because the anime was bad.

I'm sure the game is good (haven't checked it out), and yes you have a great point. But all the more I put it on this list because it's a great example of how the anime industry today treats video games/light novels/etc. etc. and reduces them to this quality. I can't think of examples right now, but I can guess there are a ton of them out there.

@DocHaus said:

I agree with most of the stuff on this list, though Ben-to is funny and haganai is more of a guilty pleasure imo.

Ben-to started as like that for me actually. I like shows such as Kampfer kind of ironically because of its dumb everything. But I know it's sort of a tongue-in-cheek thing from the creators. And I don't know, halfway through the show, it started to become not-funny and some characters (notably Ume) got to the point where I wanted to strangle them to death lol (a bit much, but you get the point). I basically had the same reaction when I started Haganai.

@sceonn said:

I think you're criteria's messed up, apart from a few all of these shows are pretty decent and most got anime because they were popular/successful mangas.

OPINIONS. DEAL WITH IT.

It's clear your view of a "pretty decent" show is different than mine, because IMO, none of these shows fit that description. I guess it's a good thing some of them started out as successful mangas/light novels (like most shows do), but if they're every bit of the same as the anime, my view on it's obviously not going to change. On the other hand, some anime shows diverge from the original source material and end up pissing off some people, which isn't such a good thing.

Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I actually enjoyed Bridge to Starry Sky... but at least now I know what anime to stay away from! Cool list!

Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@asian_pride:

Of course its all opinion, which is why I said "I think your criteria's messed up" not "Your criteria's messed up"

Don't really know what you're trying to say with your response. In my case I also said there were a few I didn't enjoy but even with those it was mostly the cast as oppose to the concept of the animations themselves that pissed me off.

That is also an opinion, it isn't like I'm asking you to agree with me or anything.

Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Good list, but fails by virtue of not having R-15 in it. There's no other show that was as insanely terrible as that one.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel