Economic Casualties: Kimono My House

Topic started by gia on Feb. 11, 2009. Last post by GodLen 5 years, 7 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Are you familiar with Kimono My House? Odds are good, then, that you've bought an Ultraman or Totoro product from them during the company's 30 years of business-- for a good chunk of which it was practically the only store selling anime merch in the United States.

And now the brick-and-mortar Emeryville store is closing its doors.

Stores come and stores go, but you guys should really read the tale of Kimono My House's rise from a tiny kimono shop to a legend amongst American collectors-- and back out the door as the economy stumbles. It's a really interesting story, albeit one with a sad ending.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Too bad :(
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Aww that was such a sad thing to read. I can feel the energy that was made to have this tiny store be open to those who would road trip to buy goods...
but alas everything is becoming easier to get thanks to the Internet so it's not difficult to see why it'd close down...
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I don't really like the internets now because of not going to those stores and buying anime so they can keep up with their business
Post by kiroshimatsu (94 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Its a shame the places like that get closed down because of big business... but there are some key things like location and where the market was going for their swag... at least they're moving to the internet... so you can still get cool stuff from them.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Sounds like it was an awesome store that had a lot of things I'd be interested in, like that Carranger megazord in the pic.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff
i thought that was you gia
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel