Dunce Cap: Magic, Chibi, and Flying Neko

Topic started by sotyfan16 on April 5, 2012. Last post by takashichea 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Hey Vicers! Ready for another episode of Dunce Cap? Well, even if you're not, you're getting on anyway! Today's episode is on the Fairy Tail Part 1 DVD/BD from FUNimation! I took the good with the bad on this one so check it out!

WARNING! This video contains explicit language. Also, this video is not edited in any way.

Want to guest-host an episode of Dunce Cap? Go here!

Please feel free to provide suggestions for an anime or manga for me to talk about and I will do my best to oblige. Also, if you are curious about anything discussed in this-or previous-episode(s) don't hesitate to ask me for more information/opinions.

Last episode: IS Needs Boys

-Will McQuigg ( sotyfan16) is your everyday anime/manga enthusiast. You can also find him on Twitter ( bildo_88).

Post by takashichea (11,097 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I didn't get time to try out the dub, so I watched some samples on Youtube. I agree that Happy's voice in the Funimation sounds terrible and like a girl. I liked Happy's voice in the sub (Rie Kugimiya). Lucy wasn't that bad. For me, it will take some time to get used to the dub. Erza's voice fits her, but I wonder how can her dub voice act during Erza's cute scene (the Kya scene during the Galuna arc).

Juvia's dub voice doesn't fit her. The sub version of Juvia has two sounds: a serious and a cute one which is versatile. For Gray, it's decent. I couldn't find a video that has her saying Drip, Drop in the sub.

Dub Voices I don't like: Happy, Juvia

Dub anime I enjoyed are Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, Descendants of Darkness, and others I can't think of yet. Fairy Tail dub is up to their caliber.

Voices I need to check out

• Gajeel, Jellal, Loke, Mirajane, Elfman, Laxus, Freed, Bixlow, Evergreen

Edit: I don't like how they pronounce the names right, Jellal and Erza, in the dub.

@takashichea:

You're getting ahead of me Taka. This review was only on Part 1 (eps 1-12) so I have not gotten to a number of voices yet. No mention of your thoughts on Natsu's voice? Right now I only find Elfman's voice suiting.

I also have to disagree on FT's dub being on par with Bleach and FMA. Granted, numerous people don't like their dubs but I do and FUNi dropped the ball in the making of this one. I'll keep buying the boxsets but I will watch them subbed from here on except to check out new characters.

Online Now

@sotyfan16:

My bad. I was listening to this video as a podcast, and when I heard you were talking about the dub, I shift my focus on hunting videos to hear samples of the dub (I didn't finish the Dunce Cap vidoe). Oh yeah, I forgot about Natsu. I'll get back to you in two hours. Got some projects to do.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I thought Natsu's voice was okay, nothing to write home about, but not terrible either. Happy's is a little more annoying I guess. I think out of all of them, Lucy and Elfman are the best in the dub, Erza is okay. Judging by those clips taka posted, they've pretty much ruined Juvia. Her voice doesn't suit her and changing the way she talks from third person to first--while I understand why dubs do that--destroys one of the quirts of her personality. I'd be interested in hearing Gajeel's dub voice, I could see Sabat voicing him too, that would be cool.

All that said, I probably would have given the dub the okay, then Lucy said "Epic Fail!" at one point and I wanted to punch the internet in the face.

By the way, before you put too much faith in the Dragon Ball Z dub, actually go back to some early episodes. Some of it is pretty bad, which I wouldn't have noticed when I was younger. Kai on the other hand continues to be the best dub I've ever heard. I've even heard people who only watch the sub praise it, which is pretty impressive. Most of the people who don't like the Kai dub just dislike some of the new voices, which is nostalgia more than anything else.

@Daniel_Newton:

I made another RightStuf purchase yesterday and I was very tempted to get Part 2 but I wanted to change things up a bit so I didn't. If I would have, I would have been able to check out Gajeel's voice.

I agree also that the dub took some odd and unnecessary liberties with some of the script to make things more understandable for our society.

I could understand the early episodes being iffy since the actors were just getting into the roles but they came around. The only complaint I have is when they made changes once it came back during the Namek Arc. I watched Kai up to sometime on Namek then stopped. The dub is fine but call me a sucker for liking the filler of old.

@sotyfan16: Oh yeah, later in Dragon Ball Z the voice acting is totally fine, by the Buu stuff I think they'd pretty much nailed it, but comparing Goku's voice acting from early Dragon Ball Z to Kai... fuck, all those years of experience really made a difference. Chris Sabat is a bit more consistent, he's a voice-acting god. Provided you want gruff tough-guy voices of course.

Also, while we're on the subject, the script in Dragon Ball Z is absolute shit. You wouldn't know without going back and checking, but when I checked the dub again the sub I was seriously shocked. Half of the script in the dub is totally made up! Sometimes characters are even talking in the dub when the same scenes were silent in Japanese. It's unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, Dragon Ball Z is still my favourite anime of all time, it's the show I grew up with, but I almost feel robbed when I look back at what they did. Want to know why the Kai dub was awesome? Chris Sabat was in charge of it, keeping it real. As if I needed another reason to respect the guy.

Oh, right, Fairy Tail. Oh man, a new episode comes out in like an hour and a half. Sweeeet.

@Daniel_Newton:

That comes from a cultural difference. America, much like most of Europe, likes there to be words and such and not silent pan-overs that allow the viewer's imagination to roam.

Sabat has done ADR and directorial work on numerous series. I still remember fondly how he came into FUNi the day I was there to hand in some Kai demos. And I also still curse myself for not getting a picture with him. That would forever have been all my profile pics. At least I shook his hand.

Ok, enough of my man-crushing.

I will have to wait for a fansub til tomorrow I think.

@sotyfan16 said:

@Daniel_Newton:

I still remember fondly how he came into FUNi the day I was there to hand in some Kai demos.

Woah, hold up, what? You were at FUNimation and met Chris Sabat? You were handing in Kai demos? As in, like, sample recordings to play a character on the show or something? Dude whaaaaaaaat?

You should have got an autograph and a photo. Missed opportunity man. A handshake is better than nothing though, I hope you told him he's the man.

@Daniel_Newton:

I worded that wrong. Sabat came by with Kai demos. One of the perks of working at FUNi though is you can do some voices if asked to.

But I had nothing on me but a resumé. I was a bit speechless when he walked up to the animator showing me around and started talking. Pretty sure my jaw dropped.

So yeah, I met Sabat in an informal setting. I wonder if he is the same when at a Con..

@sotyfan16: Oh so you were at FUNi to hand in a resumé? That would make more sense. Nice of him to show you around a bit.

@Daniel_Newton:

Not even that. I was there for a school project and Sabat was not the one who showed me around. But I did get to see the sound booths and editing rooms for audio and animation. And oh man, 'The Closet'!

On Topic: Watched Heaven's Lost Property last night and will make a vid. I still have 2 older vids to post on here so I might do that next week and then get back to newer stuff. That way I'll have time to watch some 2011 shows and read manga.

@sotyfan16: Tell me more about the closet.

I'll be sure to check them out. Love Heaven's Lost Property, thought the dub was pretty good, thought I don't think I cared much for the voice they gave Ikaros. Liked Nymph though.

@Daniel_Newton:

Damnit! You just reminded me of things I forgot to mention about Ikaros' voice in the video! (currently uploading along with another vid). Remind me when it gets posted and I'll tell you.

I knew you would ask me about The Closet. It is a magical place of which there are actually two of. Each has walls lined with all the boxsets and volumes the company makes and there are also rectangular stacks in the middle so you can walk in a circle while looking for what you want. I was allowed to pick anything I wanted. I ended up getting 4 items and looking back, I did good but I want more! And the last thing I needed was another reason to want to work there.

Online Now

Sorry for the late reply, Sotyfan16. I liked Natsu's voice the best in the dub. Like you said, it has "grit" to it. I need to buy the DVD or a Blu Ray player. Damn, they're expensive. I go on Rightstuf and buy it to get used to the dub. Also, I'm planning to buy Avatar's Promise comic books along with Rosario Vampire II's volume 6 and 7.

Edit:

I couldn't find a video for Elfman's dub voice.

@takashichea:

I have the Part 2 boxset and need to make a video on it. I went ahead and watched the dub because of the new characters.

And you also did not hear me correctly. I said Natsu's Japanese voice had more grit. Natsu's dub voice is one my biggest issues with the release.

Online Now

@sotyfan16:

My bad. I meant to type sub instead of dub. I looked at Elfman's Funimation voice, Chris Sabat. I was surprised that he did Piccolo, Louis Armstrong, and Vegeta. Just got to watch the Funimation episodes.

Oh yeah, one of the videos, Juvia's English, is removed. Got to find a replacement.

For Fairy Tail fans, here is a sample video of Disc 2. Courtesy of FairyTailEnglishVAs.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel