Dunce Cap: IS Needs Boys

Topic started by sotyfan16 on March 31, 2012. Last post by sotyfan16 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Yo Vicers! This Dunce Cap episode is even more special than the previous one! Today's topic is the IS <Infinite Stratos> BD from Sentai Filmworks that RIghtStuf send to me over 2 weeks ahead of release (April 10, 2012). With this review I hope to get some of you interested in the series so maybe you can order it before it comes out and the price goes up!

WARNING! This video contains explicit language. Also, this video is not edited in any way.

Want to guest-host an episode of Dunce Cap? Go here!

Please feel free to provide suggestions for an anime or manga for me to talk about and I will do my best to oblige. Also, if you are curious about anything discussed in this-or previous-episode(s) don't hesitate to ask me for more information/opinions.

Last episode: I Can See Your Dreams

-Will McQuigg ( sotyfan16) is your everyday anime/manga enthusiast. You can also find him on Twitter ( bildo_88).

Post by colorbrandon (30 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I think your first sentiment on the voice acting is spot on. I can't avert my ears away from this lack of talent-variation, especially with the voices of Wendee Lee or Johnny Yong Bosch.

@colorbrandon:

This was the first time the whole "accent" thing came up and I talked about it. I think that is because I am being more analytical of series with this segment. I enjoy Bosch and I think that is because I have only watched a few anime with him in it.

But I wouldn't think it would have been hard to get voice talent who could do accurate accents or have the accents themselves.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

"Shit. I said it again. Damn you Dan, damn you..." ha! Now you're catching yourself out, oh man I'm sorry. What made that even funnier was the fact that is was already the second time you said it at that point. I hope you realise this has somehow ended up adding an extra level of amusement to your videos now.

I loved this show, I've got a feeling we're into a lot of the same stuff; this, Merry, Heaven's Lost Property, Highschool of the Dead, Sekirei, etc. Yeah, I think we're both just big suckers for harems.

It's a real shame about the dub, bad fake accents are the worst. Whenever I see an American actor doing a bad British accent or a Japanese voice actor trying to speak in English in anime I almost want to stop watching. At least the Japanese have an excuse for sounding bad though, they legitimately can't pronounce certain sounds from western languages. Like, all their Ls sound like Rs, because that's how it is in Japanese, they have no separate "L" sound. Anyway, I suspect it was probably a budget thing, it would probably cost way more to get people with legitimate accents. Like you said though, at least they were trying.

One of my favourite things about the animation is how they blend CG in so well, it stands out a little sometimes, but for the most part the transitions into and out of CG were really smooth and it all gelled together nicely.

I wish they'd make an alternate-route OVA, like, Clannad style. I want to see Ichika hook up with Char. Ugh, if I had to criticise Infinite Stratos then I deduct points for Ichika being the typical dense harem guy. I'm kind of sick of that character type, come one, no-one is that clueless. Except Goku. He's legit.

@Daniel_Newton said:

Except Goku. He's legit.

Totally agree.

I think Charl was my favorite girl as well. She broke the most from the mold of typical harem females. And I have to agree with there needing to be harems with more knowing males. I mean, these guys are in high school most of the time and in the height of their raging hormones. I have at least one idea where the male knows what's going on and takes advantage of his situation. It's rather unorthodox but i think it could work as long as the comedy is played up and I don't throw it too far toward the ecchi/hentai border. Still, I get entertained by harems as they are my favorites to watch. I have Heaven's Lost Property season 1 and plan to get to it in the next couple weeks. I need to read some manga and do another episode on them to change up the pace.

I don't have anything more to add on the voice acting since I spent a lot more time on the topic in the vid than I expected. Glad you stayed around for the whole thing though even with how long they have been recently. Soon you'll know my thoughts on Fairy Tail's unless you have already watched the video on my YouTube channel.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel