Dunce Cap: I Can See Your Dreams

Topic started by sotyfan16 on March 27, 2012. Last post by sotyfan16 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Hey Vicers and welcome to a special episode of Dunce Cap! Today's topic is the Dream Eater Merry BD from Sentai Filmworks that just so happens to be available as of today! Comment and enjoy!

WARNING! This video contains explicit language. Also, this video is not edited in any way.

Want to guest-host an episode of Dunce Cap? Go here!

Please feel free to provide suggestions for an anime or manga for me to talk about and I will do my best to oblige. Also, if you are curious about anything discussed in this-or previous-episode(s) don't hesitate to ask me for more information/opinions.

Last episode: Crime, Betrayal, and an Undead Gunman

-Will McQuigg ( sotyfan16) is your everyday anime/manga enthusiast. You can also find him on Twitter ( bildo_88).

Post by takashichea (12,655 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Where are all the fans who love Dream Eater Merry?

@takashichea:

I don't know. I thought this one would actually get some users talking since I posted this THE DAY IT WAS RELEASED. One of my next ones will be posted about a week before release (I hope to get it watched and a video made tonight along with the Fairy Tail vid).

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,227 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@sotyfan16: Sorry I'm late! Just been busy with other stuff. Didn't realise it had already been 3 days since you posted this.

I'm 99% sure Merry is an upscale, from what I've heard pretty much everything J.C. Staff releases is upscaled. I know in the past I've said most anime is rendered in 1080p these days but that was just me being fooled by how good blu-ray anime releases look. So I'll own up for that mistake, my bad.

I'm glad someone else enjoyed Dream Eater Merry, it was one of my top 5 shows that year. I guess it must have been fairly successful to earn a western release and a dub but I remember it getting pretty mixed reviews from people. I might be wrong, but I think Dream Eater Merry was originally a Light Novel series, and fans were upset by how different the anime was? I should probably double check but I have a feeling that's what a lot of people were upset about. Like you, I found the show really interesting, conceptually and visually. I thought Merry was adorable, her fascination with doughnuts was super cute, and she was a bad-ass to boot. I liked her outfit too. It's a really cool design and looks pretty unique to me, it's quirky without being too crazy.

I think one of the reasons there was less fan service in this show was because there were less super-buxom girls in it. There were a couple, but Merry and Yumeji were the characters focused on. If anything maybe there was some midriff fan service I guess, which hey, I'm not complaining about. Most anime studios think guys only care about boobs and panty shots, which I like to think isn't true at all, but hey.

3.5 stars seems about right. The show was definitely interesting and thought provoking and has it's quirks, just a little more excitement is all it really needed. It's good to hear that this is another anime with a decent dub, I'll have to check it out. I'll definitely check out your Dunce Cap for Infinite Stratos too, I really liked that anime (Char <3) I'm a sucker for a good harem series myself.

Right, so here's the part where I sound like a total dick but I feel the need to point this out; I don't know if you notice it, but you say "and everything" and "and everything like that" aaaall the time. It's probably just part of how you talk and I'm sure most people have little habits like that, but man, my brain picks up on it every time. Watch it back, count how many times you do it! Aaaaahhh! Haha, sorry, I'm being such an ass.

I really need to pick up my own Ichigo Hollow mask at some point. I keep staring at it in all of your videos.

OK, you're right. I said "and everything" 4 times in the first 1:29. I'll work on cutting it out. Maybe I should try scripting part of these like I used to do with presentations. I think my brain does it to fill in gaps since I don't edit these. I need to have more freetime so I can bring Guest Hosts back in to fill the void. Sorry for how long this one ran since I went on talking about the eccentricities of the show and I had never processed or analyzed them before.

You could be onto something with the 'midriff fanservice'. There were plenty of times it flashed.

As for Ichigo's mask, I put it there on purpose. Maybe sometime I'll line up a bunch of whiskey bottles.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel