Dr. Slump Respect Thread

Topic started by hitsusatsu11 on April 3, 2011. Last post by Jgames 2 months, 4 weeks ago.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,725 posts) See mini bio Level 20
For the past 30 years Akira Toriyama has played a vital role in history of the manga industry. Dragonball, Sand Land, Toccio the Angel, Cowa, Bitch's life, Neko Majin, the new one shot Kintoki as well as various character designs in video games such as Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest make up his notable contribution to the manga/anime world.  

Akira's first major success was the gag manga Dr. Slump, which was serialized in Shonen Jump from 1980 -1984. The journey from writing a hugely popular gag based manga like Dr. Slump to authoring the most popular fighting series ever is not as clear cut as one might think. Among the humor found in Dr. Slump, we see gags such as talking shots at real life manga editors, abundant toilet humor, and constant Superman parodies. Dr. Slump is somewhat of a sibling series to Dragonball, and within its pages we find the beginning of ideas and concepts that would come to fruition years later.  

Dr. Slump is packed with many feats, most of which center around "wicked strong" Arale Norimaki, a child android created by the titular Dr. Senbei.   

With that being said I will try to scan and show what feats I can, others are welcome to add whatever they feel applicable.  

The manga version of Toriyama's real life editor creates the mighty Carmel Man in order to conquer the world and in the process destroy Arale. 
Carmal Man's strength is nearly on par with Arale, and he can destroy the moon via physical force.

Carmel Man uses a telephone poll to smack Arale across the world 

However with blinding speed she quickly comes back, and knocks Carmel Man from the Earth to Venus, the Sun, and Mercury.  
She then jumps and causes the planet Earth to smash downward into Venus.

On route to Senbei's big interview, Arale picks up a street car and tosses it like nothing. 

Arale easily lifts up a giant die

Midori, Senbei's wife, jogs around the Earth for one month straight in an attempt to lose weight 

Arale quickly runs around the Earth 

Gatchan and Tsururin Tsun use their superpowers to  dominate the high jump competition

A wandering warrior thinks he tough because he can destroy a mountain with one blow  

Arale shows him up by cracking the moon in half with a casual jab 

Senbei's repairs go array and Arale springs a leak, which evidently is powerful enough to propel her to the moon 

Arale uses a phone pole and pokes through the moon like a squid ball

Arale easily destroys a mountain with one blow 

From the Dragonball-Dr Slump cross over chapters, Arale  headbutts Blue Shogun of the Red Ribbon Army across the planet

The Dragonball Daizenshuu confirms she can split the earth in half and run at mach speeds. A similar entry for Arale is given in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 game (Sparking! Meteor), where it is said she can destroy the earth and walk at the speed of sound.  
Though it should be noted that other speed feats put her well in excess of the speed of sound and arguably the speed of light.

Arale chases after an Alligator felon  
His attempts at shooting her are in vain, and she easily out speeds his getaway car

The gator then gets the bright idea to board a space ship and head for space 

He gets all the way to Saturn within a panel, yet Arale outraces him and is already waiting in the outer solar system by the time he arrives
Needless to say he promptly turned himself in

Post by taichokage (12,629 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@hitsusatsu11:  Wow nice job man. I never knew that Dr. Slump had such high tiers.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,170 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Its about time
Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

wow, that's pretty ridiculous.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@The_Desert_Tiger: That it is, but so is Gintama, and look at the success/notoriety that franchise has gained in the few years it has existed with the many jabs at pop culture, real-life personalities, toilet humor, etc!
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

" @The_Desert_Tiger: That it is, but so is Gintama, and look at the success/notoriety that franchise has gained in the few years it has existed with the many jabs at pop culture, real-life personalities, toilet humor, etc! "

Agreed.
Gintama does that and more...Here's a DBZ one:

You have got a terrific episode in EPISODE 100...Do watch it...
Post by Kurohige (3,681 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I've seen better...In my head, bad joke sorry. Anyway very nice, your dedication to Akira Toriyama's franchise and to it's good name amazes me.
Here's an interesting one: 

Shows up Suppaman's punching feat of breaking clay tiles by breaking the Earth
Arale displays super intellect 

Arale tosses a boulder and destroys a mountain

Senbei lifts up a car
Arale punches a Benigumos all the way to another planet

Mashirito's Carmel Man 03 has lasers that casually destroy planets

Upon travveling to the past, Arale, Gatchan, Mr. Time, and Tsuru Rin witness a giant meteorite falling on the Earth

Gatchan stomps the meteorite with physical force, and Arale headbutts it out of Earths orbit

It turns out the meteor was the moon

Post by SuperTiencha (32 posts) See mini bio Level 11
awesome scans. I'm a fan of Dr. Slump and other Akira Toriyama works as well.
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11
LOL!! i have seen this before 

"i can keep throwing arrows at it"
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
bitch outmuscles goku
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I remember the Arale character showing up in DBZ but I never knew her origins.  Thanks for the education. 
 Arale destroys a mountain with a baseball pitch

Obatchaman steps up to bat
 Obatchaman steps up to bat
 and hits the ball so hard that it causes the giant who caught it to fly all the way to new york
 and hits the ball so hard that it causes the giant who caught it to fly all the way to new york
 Obatchaman casually lifts a whale
 Obatchaman casually lifts a whale
Turbo has powers of levitation, as well as the ability to do pretty much anything 
Turbo has powers of levitation, as well as the ability to do pretty much anything 
Turbo and Gatchan race across space 
Turbo and Gatchan race across space 
Obatchaman kicks a soccer ball and launches his would-be-goalie teacher all the way to egypt, through various mountains and the pryramids

Obatchaman destroys the moon by throwing a rock at it

Obatchaman tests his powers against Arale, both destroy the earth with a single strike

Arale vs Obatchaman  

Obatchaman headbutts arale to the moon

Arale is unhurt, she then picks up and prepares to throw a rock @ obatchaman, who is still on earth
 Arale is unhurt, she then picks up and prepares to throw a rock @ obatchaman, who is still on earth

she throws the rock, and launches herself after it-from the moon to the earth
 she throws the rock, and launches herself after it-from the moon to the earth

The fight culminates with arale headbutting obatchaman to the sun in an instant, he is unhurt
 The fight culminates with arale headbutting obatchaman to the sun in an instant, he is unhurt
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,321 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Online Now

Cool I have been thinking of doing a respect thread for some characters I like.
Post by takashichea (10,898 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@hitsusatsu11:

Awesome job, I'll post your respect thread on sickVisionz's Facts and Feats.

Edit:

Moved to Dr. Slump's franchise's forum thread.

I dont think this has been posted yet, more planet cracking by Arale

Post by gokugx (359 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@hitsusatsu11: Which 1 is the new scan ?

@gokugx: I just found that last one. Its still from that original series tho.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel