Does it suck now, or have I changed?

Topic started by Leptok on March 8, 2010. Last post by SilverGalford 3 years, 10 months ago.
Post by Leptok (15 posts) See mini bio Level 7
It seems like anime sucks now, imo. The last good series for me was GiTS 2nd gig. It seems like it's all been crap since then. Almost like it's devolved into this cutsie self referential and inane pointless 23 minute long turds full of cliches, archetypes and girly men.

I remember the likes of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, GiTS, etc and now it's all meh.
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Bit of both. I haven't seen any new anime in a long time that i was interested in seeing, but it might just be that my tastes have been refined over the years. I know that i cant wait for anime to be over their love of making every dam thing be about school kids and moe. It makes me sad that we live in a time when anime parodies like these are becoming less and less discernible from the real thing. 

Post by Boddington (169 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Certainly our tastes change over time, that's entirely natural. However, the industry has changed quite a bit due to fan tastes and the economic situation in Japan. The economy hasn't been this bad over there since the post-bubble decade (the 90s) and studios are less likely to commission a risky, less commercial series or film. Frankly, this means less imaginative and more formulaic works that can reliably sell merchandise or other media, such as video games, visual novels and the such. 

Weather this gloomy period (assuming it'll be on the upswing again) by revisiting the classics. That's what I'm recommending to all my friends interested in anime now.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Leptok:
I dunno, I think that its real hard to say "it sucks now, but didn't then" and move on.

Nothing has really changed, just, as the internet pipes more steaming piles of "everything" in front of us, there is less quality assurance. Just, in the years prior, it was easy to spend almost no effort, and find one or two "Amazing for your tastes" anime. As you dig deeper and deeper, it does become harder and harder, but that's only because you are forcing yourself to see more and more.

And its not like that's "terrible." I mean, someone in a completely different genre of taste is saying the same thing about XYZ thing. Though I can assure you that if you could isolate the kind of series you want to watch, I'm reasonably confident we could find something you'd love, and at least a few you would enjoy greatly.

@crusader8463:
Hey, even if your tastes have changed, I'm sure that its perceptional. "Anime" is too large a word. Its like saying "TV" or "Movies," since there are series and such to fill every need/void.

Like, say I booted up Nicktoons and said "Wow, TV sucks these days." It would be unfair to watch X and assume it was truly meant to stimulate every audience, though its fair to watch and say "Man, children's cartoons blow today."
@John_Martone said:
" @Leptok:
I dunno, I think that its real hard to say "it sucks now, but didn't then" and move on.

Nothing has really changed, just, as the internet pipes more steaming piles of "everything" in front of us, there is less quality assurance. Just, in the years prior, it was easy to spend almost no effort, and find one or two "Amazing for your tastes" anime. As you dig deeper and deeper, it does become harder and harder, but that's only because you are forcing yourself to see more and more.

And its not like that's "terrible." I mean, someone in a completely different genre of taste is saying the same thing about XYZ thing. Though I can assure you that if you could isolate the kind of series you want to watch, I'm reasonably confident we could find something you'd love, and at least a few you would enjoy greatly.

@crusader8463: Hey, even if your tastes have changed, I'm sure that its perceptional. "Anime" is too large a word. Its like saying "TV" or "Movies," since there are series and such to fill every need/void.  Like, say I booted up Nicktoons and said "Wow, TV sucks these days." It would be unfair to watch X and assume it was truly meant to stimulate every audience, though its fair to watch and say "Man, children's cartoons blow today." "

I don't think so. I've basically dropped out of anime, coming back every now and then to sample something.  I think maybe my tolerance for the kiddy stuff and the effete characters has gone down. I've heard Code Geass was good, but I couldn't make it through the first episode.  I think Eureka 7 was the last series I watched start to finish, but that was a slog when the kid got all existential angsty.

If I like Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, and Planetes, what would you recommend?
@Leptok: Desert Punk is a great show in line with them. Try Paranoia Agent too.
Post by Oishi_47 (221 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@Leptok:   Something I liked and have heard only good things about is  Eden of The Eas t. Some others I tend to recommend to people but are less related to your list, are   Gurren Lagan n and   Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.   For the latter, make sure you watch both seasons of the anime (final syllables of “Ni” an “Kai” respectively) to get the entire story, otherwise it seems like a random series of loosely connected stories.

Post by Boddington (169 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Leptok said:
If I like Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, and Planetes, what would you recommend? "

That's pretty good taste. I think you and I are in a similar boat as far as current offerings.
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Good new anime(new to me anyway)i've seen this year,,hell girl,shikabane hime,xxxholic,GTO,,,,avoid ergo proxy and youre under arrest if your threshold isnt what it used to be.
@macker33 said:
" Good new anime(new to me anyway)i've seen this year,,hell girl,shikabane hime,xxxholic,GTO,,,,avoid ergo proxy and youre under arrest if your threshold isnt what it used to be. "
I didn't mind ergo proxy. Wasn't great, but I managed to make it all the way.
@Leptok:  You know, I keep trying to come up with something "perfect" for you, and then I see a shiny object... and I get distracted. Now is really no different.

Like, you didn't dig geass, though I'll admit that the first episode (until the last 2 minutes) is all weird set up, since the character has a drastic, drastic shift of displayed behavior, and becomes a maniacal douche with zero concern for the feelings of others.

I mean, Death Note resonates well with many audiences. The whole "cat and mouse" thing of a dude who is using a book to murder people (whom he feels are dregs on society) being chased by detectives. Lots of "rules" on how the death note works allows for a lot of play in the series.

Eden of the East is another great series, and its relatively short. Both of these fall into the realm of psuedo realism with some element of slight fantasy (the death note, for example) that influences a world oblivious of its existence.

Like, if you were looking for a good slice of life, Spice and Wolf was a really entertaining look at the feudal journey of a traveling merchant.. With the rise of Christianity making pagen beliefs outmoded, one such god, decides to abandon her duties and travel with the merchant. "Horo the wise," presents the rich character of a god who, despite her age and wisdom, is still subject to human wants and emotions. 

On the more Action-y front. Gurren Lagann. Its Gainax, and most of their works turn out pretty great, but its an over the top Action series that is bolstered by great animation, great soundtrack, and some really fun characters. Its sorta a mech, not like, realistic robot, but more like "Holy crap" mech show.
@Leptok said:

" @macker33 said:

" Good new anime(new to me anyway)i've seen this year,,hell girl,shikabane hime,xxxholic,GTO,,,,avoid ergo proxy and youre under arrest if your threshold isnt what it used to be. "
I didn't mind ergo proxy. Wasn't great, but I managed to make it all the way. "
Could be i'm getting jaded,Ergo proxy did have some good things going for it and it did keep my interest to the end but i expected it to be so much better,,one character i did not care for from start to finish was vincent. 
Why do i care what vincents problems are?i want action,lots of it preferably violent and extra preferably funny.

Definately a few episodes that let the whole down.
@John_Martone said:  

" @Leptok:  You know, I keep trying to come up with something "perfect" for you, and then I see a shiny object... and I get distracted. Now is really no different.

Like, you didn't dig geass, though I'll admit that the first episode (until the last 2 minutes) is all weird set up, since the character has a drastic, drastic shift of displayed behavior, and becomes a maniacal douche with zero concern for the feelings of others.

I mean, Death Note resonates well with many audiences. The whole "cat and mouse" thing of a dude who is using a book to murder people (whom he feels are dregs on society) being chased by detectives. Lots of "rules" on how the death note works allows for a lot of play in the series.

Eden of the East is another great series, and its relatively short. Both of these fall into the realm of psuedo realism with some element of slight fantasy (the death note, for example) that influences a world oblivious of its existence.

Like, if you were looking for a good slice of life, Spice and Wolf was a really entertaining look at the feudal journey of a traveling merchant.. With the rise of Christianity making pagen beliefs outmoded, one such god, decides to abandon her duties and travel with the merchant. "Horo the wise," presents the rich character of a god who, despite her age and wisdom, is still subject to human wants and emotions. 

On the more Action-y front. Gurren Lagann. Its Gainax, and most of their works turn out pretty great, but its an over the top Action series that is bolstered by great animation, great soundtrack, and some really fun characters. Its sorta a mech, not like, realistic robot, but more like "Holy crap" mech show. "

Eden of the East and Spice and Wolf looks pretty good. I'm just wondering where the all the good seinin went.
@macker33 said:

" @Leptok said:

" @macker33 said:

I didn't mind ergo proxy. Wasn't great, but I managed to make it all the way. "
Could be i'm getting jaded,Ergo proxy did have some good things going for it and it did keep my interest to the end but i expected it to be so much better,,one character i did not care for from start to finish was vincent.  Why do i care what vincents problems are?i want action,lots of it preferably violent and extra preferably funny.  Definately a few episodes that let the whole down. "

I think there was like one episode where no one talked for almost the entire thing. The only reason I really watched was for Real or whatever her name was.

ugh bad times. It had ok atmosphere, but then it crawled up its own ass and got all weird at the end.
Post by Rayleon (461 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Leptok: there are much better seinen in manga, well scanlated one that is , do try
Post by wwfunderaker (485 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I just started watching anime last year and hopefully it continues to get better.
@wwfunderaker: If you just started then you have a good two to three years worth of the "classic" to watch before you become jaded and grumpy old people like the rest of us. Honestly man, there are many days i wish i could get a temporary case of alhezhimers just so i could re-watch, and enjoy as much as i did the first time around, the greats like: 

And a ton more that i cant think of right now. So many of those shows are the bases of who i am, and what i like, to this day.
@Leptok:  I would definitely recommend checking them out. There are plenty of good seinen as (@Rayleon:) but, they often have a smaller market appeal, and tend to not attract the kind of capital necessary for anime production. Plus, many of the best senien I've read have been relatively short, and I think its harder to catalog all of the smaller series.

Bakemonogatari, for example, is a great show with high style, and a relatively serious perspective/interpretation of events, despite involving a high school setting.
@Leptok: Well i thought the main chatacter vincent was a dead loss,,one particulary bad episode he was having some sort of dream where he was talking to himself and asking "who am i ?",soon as i see that in any anime my brain goes into meltdown,evangelion was enough,no more.

I agree that Re-L was good even if she was a shrew for most of it and if it wasnt pino i wouldnt have got to the end,i agree also that the 1984/i-robot atmosphere was good but it wandered away from that to follow vincent which was a shame.
The badly rated Queens blade which was another lost oppertunity was far more fun to watch.
So I came to this realization a while ago,Ghost in the Shell broke anime for me. 

Its started with Cowboy Bebop, but GiTS did it.   

I guess nothing outside of plausable sci-fi really gets me going anymore. I don't have time for all the moe and cartoony shit anymore.

And not Gundam either. I got burned on SEED and never again.  

Dunno, last good thing I saw was on Crunchyroll, an OVA about Humans on the moon archiving old data.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel