Does having OP characters and /or powers make a series good?

Topic started by SMXLR8 on June 5, 2014. Last post by takashichea 5 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by SMXLR8 (7,763 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Examples of this would be toriko or JJBA and of course DBZ

Post by takashichea (14,516 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Not really. There are slice of life shows that are extremely popular: Angel Beats, Clannad, Anohana, etc. Powers are just another ingredient that's optional. Anime is pretty diverse with its genre and it depends on what you like.

Post by Dream (8,325 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@SMXLR8: There's more to getting enjoyment out of a series than having it filled with overpowered characters.

Post by Dekken (533 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I think OP characters and powers can make a series more appealing to anime fans that like the shounen battle genre, however I consider that aspects like: the creativity behind those powers, writing a story without plot holes, giving the proper exposition of those powers, the pace, etc., are even more important elements.

Now, in general terms, I don't think OP characters and powers by themselves make a series good by any means, you can have a very "weak" universe with normal people and still tell a good story.

Post by taichokage (15,469 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I agree with Dekken. It's a stimulating aspect but in itself not necessary. Even though an OP series like Jojo or stronger than average series like Toriko are in my top series, many if not most of my favorites are not powerful anime/manga or have no special power at all like Monster.
Post by KingOfAsh (1,402 posts) See mini bio Level 15

One-Punch Man

That is all

Post by phantomrant (1,502 posts) See mini bio Level 10

the idea that the power of a verse has a correlation with the series's quality is pretty dumb, and that's just an understatement.

All that matters is the quality of the character personality-wise who is OP. Anything likable or badass about him. Good plot/writing helps too.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,763 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@phantomrant: that is an generic comment well the 2nd part of the comment was and a series is not a verse

Post by waybig1010101 (4,144 posts) See mini bio Level 14
depends on the story i think, but most importantly it comes down to personal taste. Yet IMO i don't need OP characters, hell it could even ruin the story if say there is an OP character where the hero will need a plot device to win.
Post by nishi99 (2,035 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Online Now

For most people yes. That's why Shounen like DBZ & The HST are so popular, i personally like most genres.

Post by sickVisionz (4,311 posts) See mini bio Level 24

You can be over the top and ass. You can be really subdued and ass. Execution is what matters for me.

Post by deadman323 (255 posts) See mini bio Level 12
it depend,if it a villain that overpowered it will give the hero a motivation to become stronger,if hero that are overpowered it may turn into gary stu character
Post by Haiken (1,207 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Not necessarily.. A manga/anime with a good story, even without supernatural power is better than overpowerd characters with planetary and above DC but has too much plot hole that the author needs to add some random guy to give the villain or hero a huge power boost to cover it up..

Post by ImDictatorBowDown (2,261 posts) See mini bio Level 13

This should tell you everything

Post by flashback180 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 14

No it depends on the writer and the plot development.

If there is a steady character development to reach such power and is opposed by a grater power with much grater risks, with arguable common logic supporting such feats .Then it wont harm the anime/manga.

no one wants to see ridiculous feats with BS reasoning like when lobo was crushing the entire city into an single atom ...with is bare hands -_- ...

Post by takashichea (14,516 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@SMXLR8 said:

@phantomrant: that is an generic comment well the 2nd part of the comment was and a series is not a verse

SMXLR8, I'm sorry about this. What you have against his comment, calling it generic? He answered your question like the rest of the folks here.

Post by SpeedForceSpider (5,084 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I mostly depends on how its executed. Those series when the MC starts are super weak and gets a plot based power up is pretty generic. I find the characters that are overpowered fron the gate to be more interesting, especially when their personality correlates their level of power.

Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Tenchi Muyo and medaka box suck

Post by DBZ_universe (15,887 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@SilverGalford said:

Tenchi Muyo and medaka box suck

Silver knows it!

Also no, comedy us what make a series amazing.

Post by GeneralVan (2,404 posts) See mini bio Level 11

It's mostly story, characters, and artwork that make a series good. But if you are going to have OP characters than make a bunch OP. Not just one or two characters that are planet busters while the rest are struggling to destroy cities. That deters from the story since you pretty much know who is going to win.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel