Does anyone else perfer dubs?

Topic started by kashif1 on Jan. 23, 2011. Last post by Killer_of_trolls 3 years, 5 months ago.
Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I realized this when i found myself going straight for the dub of Kaze no Stigma and yu yu hakasho.  Hell i plan to rewatch bleach in order to see how the dub came out.  Am i alone in this?
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,157 posts) See mini bio Level 21
I prefer both, if they are good
Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11

yes dubs rule, the dbz sub has goku sounding like a woman.
Post by Dream (7,086 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Prefer both sub and dub. As long as it sounds like effort was put into the voice acting, it's all good for me.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,157 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@SSJjanemba: 
In the sub, Goku is play by a woman
Post by supermike6 (16 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I don't really like dubs, because they are mostly done poorly. And watching subs helps me with my Japanese studies more than dubs would.
Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@Destinyheroknight:
thats y i hate it, they need to make a male play goku
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I prefer subs over dubs but there are good dubs out there.  When I was relatively fresh to anime, I preferred dubs but there weren't too many around so I started picking up subs.  I still liked dubs more though for a long time because subs were an ugly yellow and blurry.  Honestly, it all changed when I bought an HDTV in the mid 2000's.  Finally, I could read the subs without having to sit 3 feet from the screen.  At a distance, I could easily read the subs and still absorb the action occurring on screen.  These days, I usually pick the sub track, but occasionally, I'll check out the dub track to see if it's acceptable.  Odd as it might sound, I can adapt to dubs easier when the setting for the anime is not Japan.  So, I can watch a fantasy dubbed with less resistance than something set in a Japanese high school.   

One thing I've enjoyed doing lately is re-watching old animes I loved dubbed, but this time subbed.  When I revisited The Slayers franchise last year, it was a series I'd seen a dozen times but I almost always watched it dubbed.  So, this most recent time, I watched it subbed and it was like it was a fresh new show.  The dub of Slayers is great (well a minor complaint about Amelia since the dub changes actresses halfway through the first season), and I recommend it as a respectable example, but watching it subbed was invigorating.  I'm planning on reacquainting myself with Neon Genesis Evangelion soon and watching that subbed.  I've seen that one a lot, too dubbed but subbed maybe partially once.  It should be fun.  Love Hina's another on my list.
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Depends. I love the Baccano dub, hate the sub. Love both the sub and dub of Oofuri, love the sub of Kuroshitsuji and hate the dub. It all depends.
Post by TheLegendaryOne (879 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I cannot stand sub anime. I made a blog explaining why before.
Post by djsquelch (44 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I will watch whatever is available, however with my eyesight deteriorating in recent years, I find myself searching more and more for dub versions because it's becoming just too difficult  to read subs. also, sometimes i actually prefer dub voices to the original japanese voices... :)
p.s. scratched corneas blow.
Post by ssjsuperman (1,661 posts) See mini bio Level 10
reading subs dont bother me as much but I still perfer subs
Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I prefer subs since I think the voice acting is above trash can quality on a regular basis.  Bleach is especially bad imo since they seem to have decided that Aizen's voice should be that of an angsty homosexual, which is the total opposite of what is should be imo.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Not I.  Subs > Dubs
Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Depends on the anime, sometimes i prefer the dub, others the subs and sometimes i like both the same.
Post by zakman55719 (121 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Dream said:
" Prefer both sub and dub. As long as it sounds like effort was put into the voice acting, it's all good for me. "
i agree
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,320 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I prefer dub alot of times the japanese counter part seems like it has a voice that is too child-like I watched FMA brotherhood in sub and am watching it in dub and I can tell you the show sounded way better with Vic Mignona  to me Ed in the japanese version sounded like he did not even hit puberty.
Post by Killer_of_trolls (1,563 posts) See mini bio Level 11
hebrew dubz are the best I have seen so far, I used to watch anime either subed, or dubed in arabic or hebrew, but the first time I thought about watching some of my favourite animes in engish dub, I was just horofyed of the awfulness(voices, acting,...), personally, the only good english dub I have ever seen was  DEATHNOTE, it's the only one that can be compared to it's japanese version in my openion.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel