Do you want brand-new episode reviews on the front page? [READ BEFORE VOTING]

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Sept. 27, 2011. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 9 months ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Absolutely, the front page needs more content!
  • It's at least worth a shot, go for it.
  • No thanks, I don't want to read about new anime.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Hey guys, as I'm sure some of you have noticed, I haven't posted a Weekly Fairy Tail article on the site in quite a long time. I've been thinking about changing the format a bit, which gave me an idea...

The Whiskey Media sites that cover games, movies and comic books all post reviews up on the front page. Comic Vine in-particular posts reviews of new comic book issues every week. Anime Vice, while it does have video reviews by Tom, doesn't review brand new episodes of anime in the same way that Comic Vine does for new comic book issues. But what if it did?

The problem with my weekly Fairy Tail articles was that they were less like reviews and more like glorified episode summaries. That's not what I was initially going for. I was also spending way too much time on them, mostly because I was taking so many screen captures.

So, here's the idea

Would you guys like to see 1 to 5 star episode reviews posted every week? Here's my review of Squid Girl season 2 episode #1 as an example. Would they be better spoiler-free like Comic Vine reviews or not spoiler-free?

I asked Ethan about this but he hasn't got back to me. He might be unsure about the idea, and it's important what you guys think, would you guys like to see reviews like this on the front page? Most likely written by me and other mods/top users.

For those wondering, I was thinking of covering Fairy Tail, Squid Girl season 2, Bleach (at least until the filler ends) and maybe a few more.

What do you think guys?

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@Newten: I think that it is a wonderful idea to help promote more content and the hard work of the AV community, Newten. I would love to see 2/3 reviews of new anime episodes up on the front page every week if that was possible, so that users on the site (me included) could read them and see if the show in question is recommended by the person who reviewed it. Thanks to your review of the newest episodes from the 2nd season of Squid-Girl 2 (the first series was priceless and I enjoyed it for the random/funny segments), I can now go on CrunchyRoll and watch it. (I wasn't aware of the 2nd season starting already)

Post by Sparklykiss (59 posts) See mini bio Level 16

That'd be cool, yeah. I'm not opposed. Maybe have a format where you review the first episode, then the 5th, or something like that instead of going with each sequential episode for X-amount of time. Spoiler free would be great in the beginning as well, and you could elaborate more as the reviews go on.

All for it, would like to see that as a feature. :D

Post by finaldasa (46 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Front page content is never bad.

Never.

Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18

I might be willing to contribute a review to this effort once the season gets underway. It would keep things fresh. For the cool kidz. Yo.

Post by RecSpec (22 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Sounds like a great idea.

I should point out that this is specifically for new anime episodes and the reviews should be of a certain standard. By that I mean they're written well and stick to a set style. I went with something similar to the Comic Vine reviews in the example I posted. This isn't just a case of posting user reviews on the front page.

@ShadowKnight508: Thanks. Yeah, it would definitely let users know about current anime. I only noticed Squid Girl 2 had started because I follow Crunchyroll on twitter.

@Sparklykiss: Opinion noted! Though I think it would probably be fine to post reviews for each episode in a series. There are only ever a certain amount of shows airing at the same time and we wouldn't cover them all anyway. But we'll see I guess!

@finaldasa: Indeed! As long as articles and reviews are by trusted users we shouldn't have anything bad posted on the front page.

@DocHaus: Awesome, I'd definitely recommend you for this.

Post by takashichea (10,877 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I voted for A. Let's go with it. Besides, I'm writing weekly reports on the three projects: Beelzebub, Blue Exorcist, and Sket Dance for my team.

These episode reviews will help others write more about new anime or old. I was wondering about my format style and thought it was too awkward.

Post by Sparklykiss (59 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Newten said:

@Sparklykiss: Opinion noted! Though I think it would probably be fine to post reviews for each episode in a series. There are only ever a certain amount of shows airing at the same time and we wouldn't cover them all anyway. But we'll see I guess!

I dunno, a few series I've followed before had a slight hump to get over for in episodes following the first. Maybe I've just watched bad anime or have a snooty opinion. D: You have a point on certain shows airing and whatnot, but if this becomes a bigger thing and people like you and @DocHaus contribute, maybe you could cover them all. :P

It's late and I should not be posting, argh. (Oh, and about Crunchyroll, is that a pretty good service? Is it free? I need details. D: Feel free to PM me about that instead, I don't want to derail this thread. D: )

Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I vote C. Because I think all y'all are assholes who could burn in hell for all I care.

@Sparklykiss: I know what you mean, but hey, it would only be right to review things fairly. You don't see Comic Vine ignoring second issues just in case the story takes a while to pick up. Maybe it will take a while to get really good, the reviews will reflect that. Besides, a terrible review after a good first episode would be great! Imagine the drama! "OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED THIS ANIME WAS SO GOOD LAST WEEK NOOOOO!"

And even if we cover lots, CV covers plenty of comics each week, and they seem to do just fine. We should have it even better over here since anime episodes come out on different days. We won't have like 15 reviews up in one go.

Crunchyroll is great! Look it up and check it out. There are free and subscriber memberships. Most of the content is free but members gets a few series exclusively like Fairy Tail, and can watch in HD and stuff. The subscription fee is reasonable and it's neveer a bad thing to support the industry.

@ZombiePie: Thanks for fucking up my poll Zombie! It was going so well, too! ...ass.

Post by PatVB (20 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I'm all for more reviews on the front page. As someone who doesn't watch a ton of anime, it would be nice to get a quick sense of what's good and what isn't.

@Newten: So wait are you guys going to start assigning shows for individual users? Hmm I guess I'd be up for watching watching something terrible and posting weekly sober reviews. Also

@ZombiePie: Thanks for fucking up my poll Zombie! It was going so well, too! ...ass...

...to ass.

@ZombiePie: That's the idea. I dunno, wouldn't you be better off doing a guest watch and learn? Can you even watch anime without being drunk?

@Newten:

It's not like I don't have any semblance of diction or journalistic criticism.

@ZombiePie: I'm thinking more about whether or not you're actually interested in anime enough to take it seriously or just want to do it for the hell of it. You have to be dedicated son.

Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I'm not a fan of Comic Vine's review style but if you jump around the shows playing at the moment, then you can have some more room for analysis.

Go for it. What is the worst thing that could happen?

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I voted for choice B. I say give it a shot. I completely like the idea but felt B was the best choice for my opinion. We've been doing really good lately on there being content on the home page. I've slacked off but it's due to work that I'm behind. Hoping to get some articles done later in the week.

Post by crimsonavenger (1 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I think it's a good idea. I may not be a huge Anime fan so that's why I'm primarily on Screened but I think it'd be neat to get a good sense of what's good and what's bad in Anime. I'm not a huge fan of ComicVine's review style, I prefer Screened's as it seems that they put a lot more work into their reviews than ComicVine does.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel