Do you Care about (anime) pirating?

Topic started by rein on Jan. 30, 2010. Last post by gia 4 years, 7 months ago.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I know this is a big issue in the anime community, So Do you Watch free online Fansubs? 
Personnaly I buy about 40 % of the Anime i watch (which may not sound like much, but is quite A lot considering how much i actually i watch)
Post by OmegaMekix (3,847 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I say that any kind of pirating is bad. It's stealing money from the people who worked hard on it. Imagine if you worked really hard on something, and your income depends how well it sells and viewers take away all the rewards from your hard-work so they wouldn't have to pay 20 dollars. It's sad that people like something so much that they would pirate it but not respect it enough to pay for it.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
All that anime I watch is online streaming fansubs because I have no money.  :(      If the show is on an official site like Funi's video site or Crunchy Roll, I'll watch it there.  Other then that, I watch them somewhere else online.  There are some animes I would like to buy some day like Gurren Lagann and My Bride is a Mermaid.
Post by Dream (7,629 posts) See mini bio Level 21
The subject of pirating and fansubs for the anime community is a rather shaky subject with both its positives and negatives.

Anime's an expensive hobby if you're willing to chuck out the money for it. With it being a niche market, getting movies and entire titles (especially long-running ones like Naruto, Inuyasha and DBZ) can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars to get in some instances and a good number of folks aren't gonna have the reasonable income to fork out that much dough regularly so there are enough instances of people getting fansubs or going on streaming sites to see any anime title that interests them. Illegal fansubs also have their role to play for both fans and licensees. Licensees rely on fansubs to get a sense of what is popular amongst fans in the online anime community to determine what titles they can profit from next and fans are able to see episodes of their favorite title just after it's aired in Japan. After all, a good number of us aren't willing to wait for a year or two or three to see a title when its picked up in the states. There are even cases where fansubs are the best source possible for fans to see unlicensed titles that licensees wouldn't consider profitable, popular enough, or risky in the R1 market to pick up which may never see the light of day on American shores. Case in points: Aishiteruze Baby, Denno Coil, Zetsubou-sensei, Minami-ke, Ebichu, Kodomo no Jikan, Rose of Versailles. A number of fansub groups also carry a policy that they will drop any translation projects for an anime if said title ever gets licensed and they normally follow through with this as they see fansubbing as a service to fans and genuinely don't want to be a negative influence on North American distributors.

But there's also that section of the anime fanbase who think any American releases of anime titles are the bane of "true" anime fandom and cling onto fansubs thinking they are the more authentic source of anime. I found this to be the case in sections of the Inuyasha and Naruto fanbase when I go around online. And there are fansub groups that do continue to distribute fansubs of a licensed anime which they will continue to do projects for or distribute fansubs of titles online unless pressured by a North American distributor with a warning or cease-and-desist order. Whether because of hatred for distributors or hating to leave a title hanging when picked up for licensing, such fansub groups and fanbases might be considered a potential factor for the struggling anime market. But at the same time, it's ignorant to see piracy as an unspeakable evil because it plays a major role in the licensing process for distributors and raising awareness to fans to create a growing fanbase for potentially popular and profitable anime titles.
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I just read online and watch fansubs online because i want to be up-to-date, meanwhile everything i do like i buy for real, so i`m reading Rosario + Vampire 2 and very soon i`ll buy the volmes for real.
@Dream: 
I'm not saying that if you pirate once or twice you're an evil person but if you make a habit (even a minor one) you could be hurting the company. I admit that I rely on You-Tube for my anime and legial sites for manga`s but piracy is not something you should resort to. It may have it's positives but I've seen several people abuse it, completely shortening the good effects from it. If you have the resources to get it, dont pirate it, if you don't have the resources find a legal way or drop it, it may not be worth it if you think about it.   
@OmegaMekix: I do acknowledge that fansubbing is an issue for the anime market. But when you have to wait months or years for a licensed title to be available for sale or not getting a title in the states period, many folks aren't gonna have the mentality that you are thinking and will get impatient. They want to dig into said title if they find it is something they will like. It's a way for folks to see if an anime is worthwhile or utter garbage. And I know folks (counting myself) don't want to waste their money on an anime title that isn't as worthwhile as they had heard it was. Legal online streaming sites like Crunchyroll and Youtube distributor channels (ex: Funimation) are a step in the right direction for folks to see anime by a legal means. But not every anime title under the sun is covered by these sites so fansubs still have their role at exposing fans to what is under the radar of licensees and Crunchyroll.
@OmegaMekix: i deleted the 3 sites mention ` in your post that`s how i hold back the piracy sites. :)
@Dream: 

I wish I could say something extremely intelligent that has the bottom-line that piracy is bad but I don't. But I can say that it is kind of a stupid thing to risk jail and a fine just to illegally watch an anime you didn't want to buy.
I think the only way one can actually enjoy this kind of piracy is to actually still partake in it but not actually protect or rather support it in any other way. atleast it works for me.
@OmegaMekix: That isn't something you would have to worry about to a large degree unless you're involved with said fansub distribution where you would potentially be threatened with legal action depending on how worried an anime distributor or company gets over the activity. There are some anime movies here in the states rated by the MPAA which I know for a fact they would be breathing down hard on illegal copies of. But in the case of TV and OAV titles, fines and arrests aren't that big of a concern. I'm not saying that it's wrong to support the industry by any means. But if the companies don't have any means by which you can sample a series or make it easily accessible by legal means, then there will be fansubs to circumvent this gap.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Fansubbers don't get profits for what they do so I wouldn't call it piracy. I don't have a problem with it but then again I buy most of the things I like after I've watched them via fansubs so i guess it has something to do with that. 
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I live in the Uk, so pretty much no anime gets aired on tv anymore, and the few which do, are dubbed and i friggin hate dubs beyond words can explain, so if i want to watch a series, i pretty much have to find and watch a fansub. And i dont really care i do it either, if i didnt the only anime i would of ever seen up till now would be dragonball, pokemon, digimon and the first few seasons of naruto.

Oh yeah, tv companies are complete retards when it comes to anime, coz its a well smart idea to show the same 3 seasons like 5 times before showing the next season, then friggin repeating all those another like 4 times before another new season and then half the time they just drop the series and not even finish it.

so yeah, i watch it online, and i dont regret it at all.

Pretty much my take on "piracy" is downloading things which you can get from the shops, if its stuff not available in stalls or are going to be a piss take price to get from another country, its just not worth it.
Post by FLCL1 (3,935 posts) See mini bio Level 7
alittle i guess
Post by Son_of_Manus (525 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I would not watch Anime if not for pirating
I have Toonami and Adult Swim to thank for starting up my interest in anime. It wasn't until my freshman year of college that I learned of fansubs. From there, my resources of getting anime titles shot up.
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I like to pay people for the content I consume, but it also depends on how easy they make it to pay for stuff. 

I buy all my TV Shows, movies (rentals), etc. from iTunes because they make it SO easy.  I do not buy anime from iTunes, because they give me no option to turn off dubs.   
I also have little objection to watching online raws/fansubs of stuff that isn't liscened in the US, as I am not costing any US distributors money and it's just too obscenely expensive to import things most of the time. 
The days of the year that I spend in Japan, I tend to watch anime on TV and don't actively go out and purchase any, and I'll buy most of my manga for Book-Off.   

So basically in short: If you make paying for it attractive and easy enough, I will always opt to do that.  I will not if you have less features in the paid version (I will not buy dub-only stuff. It's not some kind of elitism, I like watching all media in as close to the original format as possible.  That is how it was intended to be viewed.) or you just don't make it readily available for me to purchase it. 

The day that iTunes starts offering anime that isn't dubbed, I'll probably buy a crapton off there.  I don't judge other people though, to each their own.
Post by FLCL1 (3,935 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Son_of_Manus said:
" I would not watch Anime if not for pirating "
i agree
Post by parasyteFMA (113 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Son_of_Manus said:
" I would not watch Anime if not for pirating "
I can agree to this somewhat. If I really want to immerse myself into a series I usually pirate the first couple of episodes, just to get a small taste of what's to come. If I enjoy the series enough that's when I will buy the DVD's.

A problem with this arises when the title is not licensed here in the US. Then my only choice is really just to download all the episodes or find a site that streams them. I have to say that FUNimation's site and AnimeFreak have really helped me in the past in terms of watching unlicensed anime.

What I am really trying to say here is that if the anime is available in the US market, I will buy the DVD's. FUNimation stuff is legally being streamed on their site and that''s a good place to not feel guilty if you are about this subject. I personally rather have a DVD on a shelf.
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I dont really buy DVDS for the reason that i dont really rewatch stuff much, i mean, i dont buy any dvd's of tv series or films, so why would i buy a dvd for anime lol.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel