Do you agree with IGN'S top anime characters list?

Topic started by sharingan_eyes on Aug. 25, 2011. Last post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto 3 years, 3 months ago.
Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Back in 2009 IGN came up with a top 25 best anime character's list, my question is, do you agree with it (cause i personally don't) 

http://movies.ign.com/articles/103/1036651p1.html
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,379 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Shinji should never be on a top 25 list (that just me) so it fail

Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Destinyheroknight: agreed, pretty much everyone in Evangelion was more heroic, than shinji 

also, Pikachu..seriously??
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,379 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sharingan_eyes:

I guess they just make the list only using popular anime characters, which is unfair to other anime characters (Why is Sailor Moon there but not Lina Inverse)

Post by RLAAMJR (45 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Naruto and Luffy should take either number 3 and 4.

Pikachu for me deserves the number 2 spot.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I vaguely remember this list, only because I remember thinking that it was total garbage. The author (or, god forbid, AUTHORS) doesn't seem to have a broad knowledge of the medium.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Given that the primary idea was the characters' lasting influence and such, it isn't a bad list. I'd make a different one considering they didn't even include Tenchi or any Gundam character. The article and ranking were clearly done by name recognition. But you have to think about how it was made by IGN, whose premise is games.
@AgentJ said:
I vaguely remember this list, only because I remember thinking that it was total garbage. The author (or, god forbid, AUTHORS) doesn't seem to have a broad knowledge of the medium.
i agree with you but they were correct putting Goku # 1
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,924 posts) See mini bio Level 14
IGN only knows about games, and of games they only know about FPS
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@sotyfan16 said:
Given that the primary idea was the characters' lasting influence and such, it isn't a bad list. I'd make a different one considering they didn't even include Tenchi or any Gundam character. The article and ranking were clearly done by name recognition. But you have to think about how it was made by IGN, whose premise is games.
Spot on.  As such it's a list like any other list.  These wouldn't be my choices, but I don't see much reason to dismiss their picks either.  And, for what it's worth, it's a lot more reasonable than any of the lists that appear on Sankaku Complex (NSFW).   The IGN list would never fly there due to its complete lack of K-On adoration.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10

IGN lists are always a load of shit 
Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Man...does anyone remember when IGN use to have a Anime/Manga portal?

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@PenguinDust:
We also have to remember that the IGN list in the OP is from 2009. From what I can tell there haven't been any iconic characters in the last 2 years either. But that site you pointed out very much enjoys their K-ON (far too much if you ask me) and their lists come from Japan so they are kind of off compared to what those of us in the US think.
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Strange.... what are they basing 'the best' on? Most influential character to anime, or just most recognizable? On either part, why the hell is Goku number one? The top five should consist of classic characters. Sure they had Speed Racer and Astroboy but should real classic characters that everybody know and undeniable shaped anime be on that list? Kanaeda should be in the top 5, or at least Tetsuo, and what about characters from other classics such as Macross, Gundam, and Grave of The Fireflies?

Sorry, but I think that list is bull crap.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I don't agree with it 100%, but I think its a fairly good list with an apt number 1. 
@Superevil225 said:
Strange.... what are they basing 'the best' on? Most influential character to anime, or just most recognizable? On either part, why the hell is Goku number one? The top five should consist of classic characters. Sure they had Speed Racer and Astroboy but should real classic characters that everybody know and undeniable shaped anime be on that list? Kanaeda should be in the top 5, or at least Tetsuo, and what about characters from other classics such as Macross, Gundam, and Grave of The Fireflies?  Sorry, but I think that list is bull crap.
Goku is # 1. he deserves it. eventhough there isn't a recent goku cartoon series, but when i go to stores who sells action figures, little or big, you will always see Goku and his other forms.
Post by madpierrot (24 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Something I was unsure of with the list is are they basing this list on an "American view" of the top 25 all-time characters, Japanese, global? Either way Goku is a fine choice for #1, though of course I disagree with plenty of their other choices and omissions. Oh well, in the end it's IGN so who cares.

Post by The_NHK_Man (5 posts) See mini bio Level 8
The list seems to be American focused.  If it took in more of a Japanese influence or world influence Doreamon would have at least made an appearance.  I am guessing they wanted characters that current anime fans would know with the addition of a few token classic characters.  That said I have no complaints with Goku at #1.
Post by tearsinrain (6 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Well it had Vegeta, Vash, Jubei, Motoko, Rei, Kenshin, and D.  I am content with it.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
For a site better known for its ignorance on certain subjects, they got this one down pat... although I honestly don't know if the bullshit lens they were using was of an American's perspective or a more cross-oceans perspective.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel