do unlikable main characters ruin anime for you?

Topic started by Luffy on Feb. 7, 2010. Last post by FLCL1 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Luffy (166 posts) See mini bio Level 7
On numerous occasions, I've tried watching  Kurogane No Linebarrels.  The animation is amazing and the story seems interesting from the first three episodes.  In fact, the whole thing is top notch, except that I can't stand the main character.  Voiced by the same guy as Simon in Gurren Lagann, the character seems interesting in premise.  In practice though, he just...sucks.  Maybe it gets better, but I just can't bring myself to keep watching the series for more than 10 minutes at a time.  As far as I can remember, this is the first time that's happened to me.  Does anyone else get turned off if an otherwise amazing anime has an annoying main character?
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I don't think being unlikeable or annoying necessarily have mean that a character is bad. If you meant "Do bad main characters ruin anime for you?", then yes, they often do. Poorly written characters kill the mood.
Post by Luffy (166 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Sigue: That's pretty much.  I meant that you as the viewer just don't like them.  I've seen several anime with evil characters that I've absolutely loved for example.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Yes, it was certainly my biggest problem with Book of Bantorra, and that's something considering the stupid plot. 
Post by Matte (181 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Yes, had a rough time getting through Ga-rei Zero because of Kagura
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Yeah, man even Leeron has more manliness compared to sasuke
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Yes sometimes. 

ND
Spiral power is proof of that , Yoko has boobs but she is way more Gar than sasuke and overpowering a character does not make them manlier
Post by FLCL1 (3,935 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Newdeath said:
"Yes sometimes.  ND "

yes ALL THE TIME lol 

perfect example: bleach and inuasha
@FLCL1: Ichigo does suck big time
@Nerx said:
" @FLCL1: Ichigo does suck big time "

he keeps dying but the plot brings him back -_-
Post by Sombre (113 posts) See mini bio Level 11
It's why the "Big 3" suck so much.
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@FLCL1: Indeed. I personally never liked Ichigo's character actually. 

ND
Post by Oishi_47 (221 posts) See mini bio Level 8
The worst kind of characters are the ones that don't leave any room for change. They just get placed in their archetype and show no signs of leaving. This is what defines a show as bad for me most of the time. Even if a show has an interesting story, if it follows an uninteresting person, the overall point is lost. The character would just do everything as expected and be the same person for it at the end making you feel like the experience was a waste of time. I don't very highly regard shows where the character changes so drastically at the end just for the sake of closure either (See Chaos;HEad). 
Post by Sonata (35,521 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@FLCL1 said:
" @Newdeath said:
"Yes sometimes.  ND "
yes ALL THE TIME lol  perfect example: bleach and inuasha "
Ugh Inuyasha, I think that was the only Anime I've ever seen where I didn't like any of the characters.
@Sonata: maroku was ok
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,818 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Online Now
@Sombre said:
"It's why the "Big 3" suck so much. "

Why the big Three!? 
Luffy is fraggin awesome!!!!!!!
Post by parasyteFMA (113 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Naruto ruins Naruto for me. Even if it's subbed.
@parasyteFMA:  
i think naruto is better than sasuke  

the only thing i hate about naruto is the fact that he doesnt have hinata by now
Post by eldiax (130 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Absolutely yes. I couldn't get into Fate/Stay Night because Shirou is such a clueless moron. No offense to those who like the show, but he completely ruined it for me.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel