Do people only seem to care about how strong a character is?

Topic started by Kurohige on Feb. 16, 2013. Last post by DBZ_universe 1 year, 5 months ago.
Post by Kurohige (3,702 posts) See mini bio Level 19

I have been on multiple forums and on a lot of them every time a new chapter comes out or someone brings up a new manga someone should read, it all comes down to "What can this character do, what are their best feats, what would you rank them?" The same thing can be said for trying to get people into new manga, when I was on the Naruto forums I saw someone trying to get someone to read Toriko and the person asked "Sure, I have been hearing people claim how powerful the 4 kings are, I think they are exaggerating to I'm going to read it to find out myself." I think that is a huge waste of time, why read an entire series you don't even know you will enjoy just to power scale? It takes away from the manga and makes everyone seem shallow, if you want to see how strong they are look for respect threads and calcs. I have not seen that much here though only a few times but still, for example I love Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, it is my favorite manga after Battle Royale and Berserk, but I love it for it's creativity and characters, yes the powers are cool but I don't pay attention to just that.

I'm not saying to not pay attention to how strong a character is, but it seems so silly to watch or read a long series while constantly comparing every move a character does to Naruto, Goku, or Toriko or something. I also don't see why people want to only read the series after a character the likes lost to someone from it, that was seriously a reason on one of the forums, comparing yourself or other things to others is the quickest way to unhappiness, who cares if your character is not the strongest, or even if they lose a lot, since when was it a problem to lose to pre-crisis Superman, or better yet: how does that make your character weak? Don't get me wrong, I get people read up on series they don't particularly like for the sake of preventing ignorance on their part but even then most information can be gathered from a respect thread or simply asking for the best feats. I see no reason to waste your time reading up on it with no initial interest. I know this is all them and in no way affects me, but it seems so lame and self destructive to go through all that for the sake of one battle someone made.

What do you think, sorry, just a rant I had saved up.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,246 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I don't really care how powerful the manga is

@Destinyheroknight: Nice, my bad I wasn't attacking anybody, sorry if it seemed that way.

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,899 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I also noticed people only do this because of hype. Look at the hell hole DBZ became because of fans. It was my first anime and look at it now.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,246 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Kurohige:

I wasn't feeling attack, I just saying what I think of the matter

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,033 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I enjoy a good badass. But I don't care about how strong a character is to like them. For example, Kon is one of my favorite Bleach characters even though he's on the bottom rung in terms of power. And Yamamoto is one of the strongest characters in the series with his crazy raw power but he is still nowhere near my favorites list. And then Saitama from One Punchman is one of my favorite characters up to date. But not because of his strength but because of how funny some of his fights are. So I only favor characters that entertain me. Their strength is just icing on the cake for me.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,676 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I really don't care if the series is powerful or not. As long as it has great comedy and a great or random plot I love it like Dr. Slump.. sure Arale is strong but I pay attention to the comedy more than her feats.

Another is FMA, sure they are not overpowered but it has such an amazing plot.

@UltimateHero0406: YES One Punch Man is amazing!

Post by Sonata (35,339 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I never really cared about power really. I actually enjoy good slice of life anime were characters for the most part are normal.
Post by MarioRedfield (1,743 posts) See mini bio Level 11

People want their favorite characters to win. That's a fact.

Post by taichokage (12,989 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Originally I was somewhat guilty of this myself. I was interested in mostly the strongest and/or most popular anime. As I've matured somewhat, I'll read anything if it looks interesting. I really do enjoy powerful manga/anime, because they can give you massively destructive battles which I am a fan of, but that doesn't define a series. The last to series basically caught up to are Toriko and Magi. Excellent reads but quite different shonen. Toriko has, well, Toriko! He breaks the standard main shonen character stereotype. Most are pretty boy, teens who either are obnoxious/goofy (Natsu, early Naruto, Inuyasha) or are too nice/calm (Allen, Kenshin, Ichigo, Gon) Tsunayoshi from KHR fits both descriptions at once. Toriko is a young full grown giant of a man. Not a teen pretty boy. It's one of the most violent shonen I've seen and it alms it serves as an action and food type shonen at once, something rare for a food anime to be so popular and good. Also the characters excel to new heights of power faster than any shonen I've read since DBZ. Magi on the other hand has a very young protagonist but he is mature for his age. He is more level headed than most any adult yet has a mature sexual awareness that gets the better of him too often. It seems light on the surface but no, it is probably the darkest shonen I've read, and has violence greater than anything in the HST (Bleach at times can equal it though.) it's very well written yet my point is that it is not that powerful a manga yet. Maybe Soul Eater level characters, but in my opinion it along with Toriko ought to replace Naruto/Bleach when they end. Anyway I digress. Power helps me to get into something but some of my very favorite manga/anime are relatively weak by average standards.
Post by Dream (7,472 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Only in terms of trying to measure up character abilities for a match. Beyond that, I look for a lot more to enjoy from an anime than characters being all-powerful and unstoppable.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,381 posts) See mini bio Level 15

It depends on whether the characters and plot are good or not, regardless of power. Most powerful shows such as Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, etc. (which, ironically, don't seem very strong compared to other shows) that go out of the way to say "ThiS Iz hou POWAFUL I em" and base character development on strength; well meh, screw that it's boring. But if the characters & plot are likable and take priority over power (even if there is a Hell of a lot of power) is way more interesting. Add on top of that is also how cool the fight scenes are too. So with something like Gurren Lagann, I cannot help but to admire the power. My favourite anime though is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is not the strongest.

Post by niBBit (664 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Well if you are watching a show like DBZ which is all about being the strongest and being the best and beating the best then you can't help but discuss who is stronger and who can beat who. I'm a big fan of Hellsing/Elfen Lied but i don't watch the shows because of how powerfull Alucard/Lucy is but of the story, the character etc, you can't really say that DBZ has a .... strong story :)

Post by bigz007 (1,089 posts) See mini bio Level 20

IMO the best part of anime is the battle of wits, who can outsmart his opponent and make him submit to your will.

It's easy to create strong character. Give him some crazy feats like lifting the univers of beating Chuck Norris (LOL!), but it's much harder to make intelligent character.

That is why I love Code Geass and Death Note.

@MarioRedfield said:

People want their favorite characters to win. That's a fact.

Not really.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,743 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@DBZ_universe: So fanboys don't make up things and take other things out of context for the sake of them winning? Interesting

@MarioRedfield said:

@DBZ_universe: So fanboys don't make up things and take other things out of context for the sake of them winning? Interesting

I agree on that but not all the time people want their favorite character to win.

example is me.

If we put Broly vs TOAA I don't want Broly to win I want him to run away (even tho he can't lol) because he wont win at all.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel