Do Anime's need more Bromances?

Topic started by Jinbeifan1 on Dec. 30, 2013. Last post by Jinbeifan1 9 months ago.
Post by Jinbeifan1 (3,293 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Let me start off with the fact that I'm a big fan of bromances in the things I watch like Shelock Holmes the movies or Supernatural with Sam and Dean or every guy Dean becomes friends with lol. So while this may just be my opinion, I believe Anime/Manga have too short a list of bromances actually in the story. Thankfully my favorite anime of all time One Piece is part of the small list that actually does have bromances, this mainly with Luffy and his older brother Ace. Sure it wasnt seen throughout the entire series but when the two were on screen together it was quite obvious how close they were. Why do so very few animes have such bonds between men?

Now before you say the power of friendship counts, let me just say that NO it doesnt. For starters let's take a look at my love/hate anime Fairy Tail. While I get the fact that they're all supposed to be like family, Natsu is in no way very close to Gray. Sure I get it brothers fight, but they dont fight like brothers, they fight like the obvious rivals they are, as well as anyone Natsu has met that's a guy or sometimes a even a girl (mostly Erza). But my point is that a bromance is a relationship between two guys who are so close they stick together through anything, are able to be there for their brother when they need them even after a bad fight. Gray is not like that with Natsu, they fight too much. Even when the two seemed to be getting closer, it was kindly ruined when the two went on a mission together alone and came back beaten and bruised... by each other. That's a shitty example of how brothers are, because they're not. I'm not going to get into the Naruto/Sauske relationship because it's obviously one sided and slightly gay.

Sorry for going on such a long rant, but I had to get it out of my system after a conversation with a friend on the subject. Do you think there should be more bromances? Do you think there shouldnt be and why is that? Give me your thoughts, because this is an interesting subject to me!

Here's a list of the (legit) bromances I know of:

Luffy and Ace

Black Star and Soul

Ichigo and Chad(shaky on this one but they were always super close from what I saw and Chad is literally one of three guys that he doesnt fight with on a regular basis)

I'm sure there's more but that's the ones I can think of off the top of my head

Post by SMXLR8 (7,254 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I am not even going to touch this, Later

@SMXLR8: XD why is that? Not a fan of bromance or are you confusing it with Yaoi?

Post by takashichea (12,669 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@Jinbeifan1:

Nice to see a Supernatural fan.

Depends on the genre. There's a ton in Shonen and sports show. I find anime series with bromance theme better than sismance, whatever you call them. I feel like they don't portray sistermance characters well. It gets fetishized.

@takashichea: at the beginning the two seemed sort of like a bromance, but I feel like they've been growing apart for a bit

I've actually never watched any sports focused anime, so that might be part of why XD

I dont believe in sismances honestly. I'm not sexist or anything, but in my experience I've seen many women try to be as close as men can be but it never works. Women have a sort of superiority problem when other women are around and it makes it very hard for them to bond. I'm not saying it's impossible, but from my experience with lady friends that get close they all just drift away somehow due to talking behind their backs or a conflict that for some reason they both wouldnt get past. It happens all the time.

I did watch angel beats, are you talking about the main guy and the guy who kept getting hit by the chibi pink haired girl? Lol because I liked their friendship :P

Oh and a good example of a bromance in a current anime is Armin and Eren in Attack on Titan, the two have trusted each other greatly with their lives, Eren saved him from a Titan and Armin risked his life against the regiments of military to protect him and Mikasa. Armin is a good character who has developed much better than expected at first.

@takashichea: And Supernatural is awesome XD

Post by taichokage (13,619 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Toriko and Komatsu, Oga and Furuichi, Reinhart and Kercheis, Gon and Killua, Kagami and Kuroko. These combos are almost unbreakable. Real bromance without straying into the yaoi category. Ironically 2 of these combos come from my current top 5 anime/manga.
Post by takashichea (12,669 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@Jinbeifan1:

How did I forget about Eren and Armin?

@taichokage:

Also, I forgot about Beelzebub. I remember Miki has such a weird attraction to Oga. I didn't know you're were a Kuroko's Basketball fan. I needed someone to talk to in the Kuroko's Basketball Discussion (anime). I'll make a manga one soon after I finished posting the winter 2014 anime trailers.

Post by Dream (7,741 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Ouran High School Host Club.

That is all.

Post by Acura_Max (2,349 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Let me start off with the fact that I'm a big fan of bromances in the things I watch like Shelock Holmes the movies

Didn't they make a joke on the idea that Holmes could be gay in those movies? I could have sworn that they did one of those at least once.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,254 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Jinbeifan1: some thing like that but I am not mixing it with boys love =D

@Acura_Max: XD yeah someone made that joke and it almost cost the movie because the director was trying to keep it purely a bromance XD

@SMXLR8: Ah ok just making sure XD Why you no like bromance?

@taichokage: I feel bad cuz I only know two of those guys haha!

@Dream: I havent watched that but I heard it borders yaoi hilariously XD

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel