DBZ Kai: A Bucther Version of a Classic Anime

Topic started by Kou_Leifoh on July 2, 2011. Last post by Haofan123 3 years, 2 months ago.
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I don't like Dragon Ball Z Kai; there I said it. Some of you may disagree with me and say you like Dragon Ball Z Kai, but hey, don't care. I wasn't against the idea of Kai, a version of Dragon Ball Z that's edited in a way that takes care of the major problem of the series, which is the pacing. But I never would of thought that aspects of the series such as the dialogue would be completely change, which affects the personalities of some of the characters. Some of the voice actors weren't brought back and the ones that replaced them are just plain terrible. The voices of the original series was injected into our memories, it also became a standard of how the characters sounded. They weren't too good, they weren't too bad, they just sounded right. For us to have to hear Gohan's new voice when he ascend to the next level in the Cell Saga is just unacceptable. 

Toei Animations should of went into this with the awareness of the popularity of the American dub. The soundtrack of the US version was fantastic, it updated Dragon Ball Z for the time that it made its Western debut. The Japanese version sounded dated, but that's what's come to be expected for a series that's like what, twenty-years-old back then. Not hearing the original themes that I heard when first experiencing Dragon Ball Z defiantly takes away the experience. I don't know if this was in the original Japanese version, but the the new dub has this corny-ass opera song that plays when a dramatic scene occurs. There's also the lack of "Rock the Dragon." Dragon Ball Z is one thing, insane macho action. "Rock the Dragon" capitalizes that. The new theme, "Dragon Soul," seems like something targeted directly to kids, and not something that sounded older. 

The thing that surprise me the most, is that the Garlic Jr. Saga was removed. I knew that some scenes from the original would be cut in order to speed up the pacing, but I never would of thought that an entire Saga would be removed. I don't care what anybody says, but that was unnecessary. 

Dragon Ball Z Kai just seems like the opposite of FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Brotherhood added a lot more fiction to a retelling of FullMetal Alchemist, while Kai just strips down and dramatically alters a series in a bad way.   
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Completely disagree on nearly every count, but to each their own.

Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@sickVisionz said:

Completely disagree on nearly every count, but to each their own.

Post by EpicSteve (11 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I have only seen bits of Kai on Youtube. I was really put off with Frieza'a new voice actor. Also, I really enjoyed the American score. It's a bummer they didn't maintain the music and the actors.

Post by rubberluffy (590 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Kai is about the only way you could get me to watch DBZ.  And Rock The Dragon was terrible then and is terrible now.

And if removing Garlic Jr is such a bad thing (I was glad it was gone), then how do you feel about them not doing the Buu saga AT ALL, which is my only complaint.  Granted, I don't think the Buu saga was really all that good in the first place, but a Kai trimmed down version of it would have helped it out a bit, in my opinion.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,284 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@rubberluffy:

The new one isn't that great, I say Dragon Ball Z Kai is lazy. Using the some opening over and over

@Destinyheroknight
You can't really accuse Kai of being lazy with one opening when Z used Cha-la for 200 episodes before changing to We Gotta Power (which is my personal favorite of them all).  And I like Dragon Soul, the JP version at least.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,284 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@rubberluffy:

Yeah, but it was good (New one isn't)

@Destinyheroknight
While Tanimoto Takayoshi is no Kageyama Hironobu, I do feel like Dragon Soul fits well with DBZ thematically, and the animation for it is pretty nice, especially with how it changes scenes to fit with the current arc.  And I haven't heard the english version of Dragon Soul, and I probably won't, because I have a track record of not liking english versions of japanese songs.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

There were various reasons why a few of the old voice actors couldn't come back for Kai, and while it does take a while to get used to the replacements, they aren't bad at all.

@epicsteve said:

I have only seen bits of Kai on Youtube. I was really put off with Frieza'a new voice actor. Also, I really enjoyed the American score. It's a bummer they didn't maintain the music and the actors.

It definitely takes a while to get used to the new Frieza, but he seems like more of a tyrant than before, and less... girlish-sounding. I think he was made to be more like his original Japanese counterpart this time around.

When you actually break it all down and look at the quality of the voice work (ESPECIALLY for all the characters voiced by Sean Schemmel and Christopher Sabat, they've improved so much over the years) you actually realise how much better the quality is overall. Some of the lines in the original dub were completely made up, I couldn't believe it when I checked.

Still, there are bound to be a few moments that won't be how you remember them, like Gohan ascending to Super Saiyan 2 or some of Frieza's lines. But that's really all nostalgia, there's not a lot you can do about it. I will admit that I still prefer Bruce Faulconer's soundtrack, but the new Japanese score is fine.

@Kou_Leifoh said:

The thing that surprise me the most, is that the Garlic Jr. Saga was removed. I knew that some scenes from the original would be cut in order to speed up the pacing, but I never would of thought that an entire Saga would be removed. I don't care what anybody says, but that was unnecessary.

The Garlic Jr. saga was filler. They removed the filler. There was nothing unnecessary about that at all, it wasn't in the original manga so they didn't include it in Kai. Simple.

Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11

lol well dbz kai has some good stuff like no long fighting episodes. but dbz kai is just another way of milking dbz which died years ago.

Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

From what i have seen of Kai i've really enjoyed it so far. 
Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
i seriously don't get why anime fans make such a big deal about voice actors, so what if they don't sound exactly like the previous ones?? as long as it still reflects the character i could care less if the voice is different 
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@SSJjanemba: DBZ is far from dead, whether you define dead as popularity or financial pull.

Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@sickVisionz said:

@SSJjanemba: DBZ is far from dead, whether you define dead as popularity or financial pull.

nope as popularity dbz is far from dead. what i mean by dead is that it ended years ago they are using dbz games, and kai to try to keep it alive but it wont help
Don't care. DBZ Kai is nothing but a butcher-ass version of a classic. Opposite of Brotherhood. 

I imagine the only people that like Kai are people that never really liked DBZ to begin with it. It also seems more targeted to kids as I heard that some of the violence was censored. If Kai did its job by getting people who never liked DBZ liking it, then Kai is about alienating its original fan base for a quick cash in. 
@rubberluffy
"Rock the Dragon" has a fan base, so much that people are willing to make covers for the song on YouTube, and make a fan made version of the "Dragon Soul" intro with "Rock the Dragon" in it. Just because you say it's terrible doesn't mean it's a good enough reason for Toei Animation to abandon it. Don't betray your opinions as facts.
@Kou_Leifoh said:
Don't betray your opinions as facts.
oh the irony
@Haofan123 said:
@Kou_Leifoh said:
Don't betray your opinions as facts.
oh the irony
What irony? Me posting an opinion that's a contrast to others is not ironic, son.
@Kou_Leifoh: you mad bro? its your opinion that dbz kai sucks, not a fact
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel