Con Prep: New York Comic Con 2009

Topic started by gia on Jan. 26, 2009. Last post by Tenma 5 years, 10 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Soooo, odds are you've been hearing a lot about New York Comic Con lately-- and with so many A-list guests, both anime-related and not, you should have been –and so have I, so I've been getting my schedule for the convention ready as best as I can.

Those of you who have followed me in the past know the drill: this is the post where I tell you who all is at the convention...but not just to brag. I want YOU guys to tell me what YOU want to know! I can't always track down every guest, but I have plenty of interview requests shipped out, and I can often nudge my way over to peoples' booths and whatnot, so definitely leave your questions in the comments here. (I'm also going to pin the forum thread for you guys so it's easy to find-- the convention isn't for another week and a half, after all!)

So, here's the list!

Companies:

Individuals:

• Jamie McGonnigal (voice actor, Weiss Kreuz's Omi, One Piece's Kuromarimo)

• Neil Kaplan (voice actor, Transformers' Optimus Prime, Digimon)

• Rachael Lillis (voice actor, Utena's Utena, Genshiken's Ohno)

• Ryusuke Hamamoto (artist, Petit EVA)

• Svetlana Chmakova (mangaka, Dramacon, Nightschool)

• Tom Wayland (voice actor, One Piece, Weiss Kreuz)

• Veronica Taylor (voice actor, Slayers' Amelia, Pokemon's Ash)

• Yuri Lowenthal (voice actor, Code Geass's Suzaku, Naruto's Sasuke)

• Takashi Miike (film director, Yatterman, Dead or Alive, MPD Psycho)

• Misako Rocks! (artist)

• Chip Kidd (author, Bat-Manga!)

There are tons more not-particularly-manga/anime related guests, so feel free to make requests for me to talk to other people on the list...but no promises there.

What, no one has any questions?
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I would love it if ya asked the people at Square Enix if they'll publish Kuroshitsuji over here. I absolutely adore that series. =3 There's five volumes so far in Japan... I dunno if it'd be too early to get some type of release over here. I know they don't really publish manga over here in the States (like FMA is Viz over here unlike Japan where FMA is published by that one branch in Square Enix) but hey it's worth a shot to ask if they know any type of information yeah?
RedRoses: Since Yen Press seems to be pretty in with Square Enix, they might be the people to ask really-- but I'll see what I can do!
Post by Outlaw_Spike (21 posts) See mini bio Level 4
How about asking Bandai's thoughts on the whole half-season sets release strategy for new releases (like Hayate the Combat Butler) and maybe if they can say anything about the R1 release of the Eureka Seven movie?
Post by SYLiENT (9 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I have a few questions. ^^;;;

Concerning Bandai and the 5 Centimeters Per Second report earlier this month - could you ask around and see who actually has the licensing (... despite sites still listing Bandai as the company who picked it up from ADV, but now dropped it or never had it? Oi, this is confusing...)?

... Speaking of Bandai - have they made any announcement concerning the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann movies? O_o;;; Last time I've heard they've said nothing.

With VIZ Media, could you ask them if they are going to pick up the animated version of Skip Beat! (since they are translating/publishing the manga of that series out here in the US)?

Ack, this may be a hard question... I love Michiko to Hatchin. Adore it. Would love for it to come stateside (and happily pre-order it in a heartbeat). ... I just have no clue who or which company would pick it up. This'll probably be one of those cases where we'll have to wait from an announcement from someone... but could you please ask around?

(Second for Kuroshitsuji - the anime or the manga (any news is welcomed ^^).)

Thank you! ^__^
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
How about if Funimation is trying to acquire the right to Shakugan no Shana 2nd season, the movie, The Familiar of Zero season 2 + 3 + 3rd season ova.

As far as Sevens Seas goes I'd like to know what has happened to Zero's Familiar and Kanokon light novels. It also appears Ballad of a Shingami's 3rd light novel never released even though it was due out on 10/28/2008.

Thanks for anything you ask. ^_^
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Well since i cant go i guess you could ask Bandai if they are ever gonna make a ShinraBansho Chocolate anime.
Even though that might never be i had to ask and thanks in advance  ^_^
Post by thescott18 (8 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Heads up, Gia:

Tokyopop is not on the list, but they claim that they do have a booth (1621) and "big news!!" on their twitter feed.

See you in NYC! :-)
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
For Bandai Entertainment:

Is the original Mobile Suit Gundam series ever getting an Anime Legends release? If so, will it have subs, which the single DVDs lacked?

What is coming with the third limited edition for Gurren Lagann?

That's all for now.
Post by Bertmasta (151 posts) See mini bio Level 6
ask funimation if they can confirm they are remastering the Dragon ball boxsets in 2010 when the old company loses the rights.
Post by SYLiENT (9 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Niko: What is coming with the third limited edition for Gurren Lagann?

Hey Niko - according to Right Stuf the last limited edition volume of Gurren Lagann will have Gurren Lagann Best Sound CD and the first volume of the manga (I hope the fold out, color artwork is in the English publication!). Right Stuf also lists the CD for sale separately - it contains two disc. The first containing four songs (it's dubbed the Theme Song disc) while the second disc has 21 tracks.
Post by Bertmasta (151 posts) See mini bio Level 6
also find out if Lupin is being picked up by anyone :P
Post by Kirielson (34 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Viz: So...when's Zoid Genesis going to come out?

4Kids: What IPs are they looking forward to getting?

Bandai: Hayate the Combat butler: When and will it get on AS?
Post by Lady_Nightmare (2,789 posts) See mini bio Level 13
one of these life times im gonna go
and cosplay too^^
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Gia asked the people at FUNimation if they are bring any the new Lupin the III movies or specials over here and if they are going to dub them. 

I wish I could get Rachael Lillis to sign my Utena Black Rose and  Apocalypse Saga box sets.  At least I got Tiffany Grant to sign Blue Seed and Martian Successor Nadesico box set at last week Phoenix comic -con last week. 
Post by yuetheguardian (93 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I was wondering if you could ask Funimation for me if they are looking into more possisble geneon rescues including the CLAMP  series Chobits, Cardcaptor Sakura, and X

after all all three have promanant references in Tsubasa. and I think they all could stand for rereleasal during the new licence ago go the ANN forums seemed to be very interested in it when it was brought up, so the marketing potential is there.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Could you guys maybe post some of the pics ?
Post by gojyogrl (6 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Hi Gia, could you ask Funimation when it plans on releasing Ookiku Furikabutte (or Big Windup, as they are calling it)? Thanks and have a great time.
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I'd like to second Void Wizard's and Niko's questions, since those were almost exactly what I was going to ask.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel