Can I Get Away With Watching Clannad After Story?

Topic started by John_Martone on Nov. 23, 2009. Last post by HeeroYuy 5 years ago.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Of course, the trick here is that I haven't seen Clannad.

I hear such great things about After Story, and the discs for it are right here! ( /me gestures to his desk)

I'm not made of infinite anime watching time, so tell me... would this be a bad idea?
Post by Matte (181 posts) See mini bio Level 4
The "great things" about After Story are built on/from Clannad.  I guess it's possible to watch After Story alone, but you'd miss out on a lot of the comedy the whole series offers, but more importantly the drama and character relationships that develop.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@John_Martone said:
"
Of course, the trick here is that I haven't seen Clannad.  I hear such great things about After Story, and the discs for it are right here! ( /me gestures to his desk)  I'm not made of infinite anime watching time, so tell me... would this be a bad idea? "
The whole reason Clannad after story is considered such a masterpiece, is how it builds on the original. Without the original, it loses much of it's value as an anime.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@rein said:
"The whole reason Clannad after story is considered such a masterpiece, is how it builds on the original. Without the original, it loses much of it's value as an anime. "
@Matte said:
" The "great things" about After Story are built on/from Clannad.  I guess it's possible to watch After Story alone, but you'd miss out on a lot of the comedy the whole series offers, but more importantly the drama and character relationships that develop. "
This and this.  

You need to know the background of the characters before getting into it. The original is more of a harem story but introduces the characters and gives you a better idea of their personalities and situations. Besides, the cameos in After Story wouldn't be as awesome if you don't know who the characters are before hand. 
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Personally I think the original is better John, but you can skip Fuko's arc completely if you're pressed for time. It's about the only stupid part. [/painfully frank]
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel