Bleach fans: What will you watch now?

Topic started by sickVisionz on April 2, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,258 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Bleach is over. Though it wasn't always a great ride, many of us looked forward to watching Bleach each week and now have a gaping hole in the people beating the crap out of each other for 24-minutes segment of our weekly anime schedule. So my question:

What's your replacement for Bleach?

I started watching Hunter x Hunter over the weekend and while it's good series in it's own right, it's not as action packed as Bleach by any stretch. I've seen some scenes here and there that looked nice, but nothing great yet. Additionally, it's much more of an adventure show than an action series and I'm beginning to think super well animated fights isn't something it's going to deliver on. After poking around on the web I decided to try out One Piece again, but the episode I was going to start at (227, which from what I've heard is where there is a noticeable bump in the fight animation, which was what burned me on the series initially) isn't up on Hulu yet and there is about a 150 episode gap located right where I want to pick it up at. Fairy Tail never did it for me so that one is a no go. I've seen Toriko in some sakuga/MAD videos and it seemed pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it's streaming or not.

What other long running shounen series are there that are

• currently airing
  • packed with as much action as Bleach
  • available for legal streaming
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,183 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I've been meaning to check Naruto out for a long time now, with Bleach reaching it's end I have even more reason to. I used to read the manga, but that was a couple of years ago now, I didn't get too far and I've forgotten most of what I read, so starting fresh will work out great. Biggest pro here is that I have mountains of content to get through, I won't have to wait for new episodes for a long time.

Post by JonSmith (185 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I stopped watching Bleach shortly before it's end, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Going to continue watching One Piece online, as well as how this Toonami business plays out.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,239 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I will catch up to all the anime DVDs I have bought, I keep buying anime DVDs and don't watch them (kind of glad Bleach end, now I have time for other anime)

But, I need to find a new manga to replace Negima!

Hunter x Hunter seems like the one I will roll with. The last two episodes (24 and 25) delivered what I thought it was lacking and overall seemed more up my alley for tone than what came before and there were some bits of animation here and there that made me excited to see what the staff would do during a fight.

I might still check out Toriko. I've seen too many nice Sakuga MADs to not check it out.

Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@sickVisionz said:

I might still check out Toriko. I've seen too many nice Sakuga MADs to not check it out.

If you're going to try out toriko, i would recommend reading it instead. While the anime is pretty good, it just doesn't do the manga justice IMO

Post by taichokage (12,945 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Hunter x Hunter is great. If you combined Naruto with One Piece, it would be HXH. I really like Togashi's work (when he actually decides he's going to work). It's a moderate paced anime with fairly powerful characters. You get a lot of power diversity and their feats are easy to calculate because they actually have easily understood things like gun reaction moments, time frames on certain sequences of events, clear super sonic reaction moments, etc. it's very good and actually has been around longer than Naruto and nearly as long as One Piece, it's just that the author went on hiatus so many times, the anime was stopped after nearly 100 episodes. But recently the show was revamped and with modern animation. I'd easily recommend it to any shonen lover. To add more emphasis to it, if you like yu yu hakusho then be pleasantly surprised because the same author makes HXH.
Post by rubberluffy (582 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Hunter x Hunter battles tend to be about intelligence as much as fighting power. HxH is definitely a toptier shonen. It is about to enter the Heaven's Arena arc where they introduce the power system that will be used for the rest of the series. Also there is a lot in that series that a Naruto viewer would definitely notice, it is clear that Kishimoto was heavily inspired by it.

Post by othus12 (6,660 posts) See mini bio Level 13

try toriko, the manga is excellent, the anime is meh...

@othus12: I won't read the manga unless I've seen the anime and I want spoilers. Reading a manga won't do anything to fill the hole left by an anime. If the story is decent enough but there are some well animated parts on a semi-regular basis, that's will be good enough.

Post by Kraden (38 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Are they going to keep airing the dubbed episodes or are they cancelling it all?

~Kraden~

@Kraden: The only impact that has on anything involving the US release is that the series now has a definite end point (episode 366).

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel