Big ongoing series - Read the Manga, Watch the Anime, or both?

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on June 24, 2010. Last post by Chroma 4 years, 2 months ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Manga - I like to be bang up to date, or I just prefer it
  • Anime - I'd rather see the story unfold in all it's animated glory, or I just prefer it
  • Both - I read the manga AND watch the anime!
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'm just curious, when keeping up with big series like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and so on, do you prefer to read the manga so you are as up to date as possible with the story? Or do you wait for the anime and not mind being a little behind? Or, like me, do you read the manga AND watch the anime too, just because you can?

Cast your vote and don't be afraid to give your reasons why and discuss this a bit!
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I read the manga as you know. 

I read it so I dont fall behind the plot, Im inpatient with things like anime and manga, and with all the fillers and the time it takes for the anime to get to the good parts, I prefer to know whats happening. Though I watch the animes as well to see these manga pages come to life in animation, which is cool to see most of the time, but it also means you have to put up with annoying things like..... Orihme spam
Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I do both.  I'm a sucker for spoilers so I read the manga.  I watch the anime because color, hq animation, voice acting and music usually makes things better.
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Both as long as i stay interested with the manga and the anime is going to show that in motion i'm interested :)
@Chengy: Kurosaki-kun. Kurosaki-kun! KUROSAKI-KUUUUUN!!!
... yeah.

You should have picked both though since you said you watch the anime too, damn it Cheng, messing up my research.
The main reason I made this though is because my bro pretty much refuses to read the manga, because he thinks watching the anime is a much better experience, and I do see what he's getting at. So I was wondering if there are lots of people who think the same or not.
Post by Acer (5,676 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I do both. I read the manga because it's easier to catch up on, and you dont have to worry about crappy and annoying fillers. I only watch the anime to see the manga brought to life, and to hear the voices of the characters. I also love the fights. Though I never watch the anime from the start, I usually watch the animes from the latest arcs. Like I only started watching One Piece starting from the Impel Down Arc. I will watch past epiosdes but mostly for the fights, of if they are episodes that I found amazing in the manga.
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@Newten:

I did choose both
@Chengy: Oh right, the votes didn't look right earlier maybe I needed to refresh the page or something, sorry :P

Looks like most people agree that they like to read the manga to be up to date and then watch the anime to see it brought to life with animation and sound, fair enough, I agree! :)
Post by MrDirector786 (4,504 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I do both, though I prefer manga over anime. Sometimes, I actually won't watch the anime if they put too much filler in it and drag it on too much which is pretty much what I did with Naruto: Shippuuden. But I'm probably going to go back to watching the anime again since I have learned that they've gotten pretty far now and aren't putting in so much filler.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Both, but emphasis on the Manga. I only skim through most Naruto and Bleach filler. 
Post by Chroma (146 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Both for me as well, although my emphasis these days is usually on the anime. 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel