Beginner's Guide to One Piece

Topic started by GodLen on June 6, 2010. Last post by franco2011 2 years, 10 months ago.
Post by barashin (16 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@DoctorWelch:   

Once piece is too silly looking and thats why I have never watched it. Naruto and DBZ are still sorta silly, but they are self serious which is what I like. Basically, I dont want intended comedy out of my anime or manga. Correct me if I'm wrong but One Piece i just too ridiculous and I think it looks kinda dumb. 

You're pretty judgmental for someone who haven't really gotten the grasp of what One piece is all about! Try save your criticisms for a show you actually watched!
Post by StephenVaughn (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2
@barashin said:
" @DoctorWelch:   

Once piece is too silly looking and thats why I have never watched it. Naruto and DBZ are still sorta silly, but they are self serious which is what I like. Basically, I dont want intended comedy out of my anime or manga. Correct me if I'm wrong but One Piece i just too ridiculous and I think it looks kinda dumb. 

You're pretty judgmental for someone who haven't really gotten the grasp of what One piece is all about! Try save your criticisms for a show you actually watched! "

Well you gotta remember dude, One Piece gets so much flak for it's art style, and by fans other shows, because at first glance, the art style looks kiddy, and almost cartoonish. Most people who try it, love it, and the ones who don't usually haven't watched at least up till they get the original 5 crewmembers and enter the Grand Line... one can't expect people to bond with the show till they have at least seen Nami's backstory, and Luffy's reaction, and the epic vengeance on Arlong... that for me is one of the defining moments in the show, but most people who try and quit haven't seen at least that far. Ideally, the arc to watch till would be the end of the Alabasta arc, and the final fight with Cr*****le(one of my favorite choices of  music for a fight ever...DVORAKS NEW WORLD SYMPHONY FOR THE EPIC WIN) but not everyone is willing to give a show that long to catch them. If it doesn't catch them before then, or even at the Drum arc, then they aren't looking for a show with that kinda deep backstory and character development, and are more interested in epic fights and the like. This is why I've seen people who will prefer Bleach over this because of the more current arcs theme of actions having consequences, and they don't want Luffy's character to change at all. Some people aren't looking for that, and there is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I think anyone who likes anime should at least try till Nami's arc, and if they tear up, or can empathize with the characters at that point, then even if they don't like the fight scenes yet, they should keep with it... because trust me, they get much more epic folks, just wait till the Skypiea arc with Enel, and even more so in the Enies Lobby arc with the introduction of more supernatural fighting styles, with high speed movement that puts Kuro to shame, and crazy ass martial arts styles, with psuedo 'energy' attacks in the form of cutting wind attacks.    
Post by barashin (16 posts) See mini bio Level 5

@StephenVaughn said:

" @barashin said:

" @DoctorWelch:   

You're pretty judgmental for someone who haven't really gotten the grasp of what One piece is all about! Try save your criticisms for a show you actually watched! "
  Well you gotta remember dude, One Piece gets so much flak for it's art style, and by fans other shows, because at first glance, the art style looks kiddy, and almost cartoonish. Most people who try it, love it, and the ones who don't usually haven't watched at least up till they get the original 5 crewmembers and enter the Grand Line... one can't expect people to bond with the show till they have at least seen Nami's backstory, and Luffy's reaction, and the epic vengeance on Arlong... that for me is one of the defining moments in the show, but most people who try and quit haven't seen at least that far. Ideally, the arc to watch till would be the end of the Alabasta arc, and the final fight with Cr*****le(one of my favorite choices of  music for a fight ever...DVORAKS NEW WORLD SYMPHONY FOR THE EPIC WIN) but not everyone is willing to give a show that long to catch them. If it doesn't catch them before then, or even at the Drum arc, then they aren't looking for a show with that kinda deep backstory and character development, and are more interested in epic fights and the like. This is why I've seen people who will prefer Bleach over this because of the more current arcs theme of actions having consequences, and they don't want Luffy's character to change at all. Some people aren't looking for that, and there is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I think anyone who likes anime should at least try till Nami's arc, and if they tear up, or can empathize with the characters at that point, then even if they don't like the fight scenes yet, they should keep with it... because trust me, they get much more epic folks, just wait till the Skypiea arc with Enel, and even more so in the Enies Lobby arc with the introduction of more supernatural fighting styles, with high speed movement that puts Kuro to shame, and crazy ass martial arts styles, with psuedo 'energy' attacks in the form of cutting wind attacks.     "

So much flak for its artstyle? Cartoonish? o_O?  That's a pretty pathetic excuse if you ask me! I'm sorry but if you prefer an anime that's plagued with fillers then that's fine. More power to you, I on the other hand prefer an anime that has a progressive story, one that doesn't have any problems with fillers at all and ain't haunted by it, one where the main story is constant. One that has heart. One Piece!! You know very well how good one piece is. So why defend someone who judges a show they didn't even watch yet? it's stupid!
Post by YotaruVegeta (612 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@Kuma_From_Argentina: I have a problem with calling Naruto or Ichigo "emo" Would an emo ever even fight, or win a battle? How can they be emo?
Post by secretzfan (238 posts) See mini bio Level 18
The main charter is like Goku
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (7,010 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@YotaruVegeta said:
" @Kuma_From_Argentina: I have a problem with calling Naruto or Ichigo "emo" Would an emo ever even fight, or win a battle? How can they be emo? "
Every Story arc since Shippuden we need to see Naruto Wangsty about Sasuke, since the Espada Arc Ichigo Wangsted as he never wangsted before, he was more of a delincuent at the beggining ogf Bleach, but finally he become a wangsty mess, (Oh my power is going to kill me if I continued using it) My bet is if for example Kamina from TTGL had the Hollow mak he would kick the curb out of  his hollow part and use without staring blankly in pants wetting state while meeting with Aizen.... 
 Naruto is a bit less Angsty, but Ichigo transformed from Hot-blooded to a wussy in only a story arc....
@Kuma_From_Argentina: 

think that in the beginning of Shippueden, Naruto was all about saving Sauske from Orochimaru, but I have not heard him go on and on about Sauske for many an episode. Naruto also used his powers against the wishes of more informed people, and also used a technique which could shorten his own lifespan. 

I admittedly have skipped filler episodes, so if he's all emo in that, I'm missing that. 

From what I watched of Bleach, he's a gung-ho guy. I have not watched Bleach in a long while, so I do not know how much he's changed.
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (7,010 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@YotaruVegeta:  Bleach changed from Ichigo being the classical trouble guy with the ability to own authorithy figures (Byakuya I'm watching you) to a pityfull wreck that stays frozen for like 8 chapters seeing how the other shinigami (under Aizen Ilussions) praticed accuracy against Momo Hinamori.... 

This is only a taste of the last chapters and Ichigo attitude about them....
Post by Burntlettuce (155 posts) See mini bio Level 14
People need to get over this whole "One Piece has bad art" thing, what ever it is. One Piece does NOT HAVE BAD ART, get over it, it's not bad, it's just different. Take the time to look up some of Oda's special covers, they are amazing. One Piece looks semi bad at first compared to anime, but guess what it started airing in 1999. That's a long time ago, so of course it's art at the beginning doesn't look as good. But get over your selves, the art isn't bad, it's just different than all of the generic crap that keeps coming out. 

End Rant...One Piece is one of those rare experiences. Where it takes all the traps, and pitfalls of it's own genre and rise above them. Oda, has created something that I can only describe as a masterpiece. It's got everything that makes a series good. A logically flowing, coherent plot, with amazing plot twist, that had their groundings laid in the past(He is a master of foreshadowing). An amazing set of characters, with heart-wrenching back-stories, but most of all he knows how to evolve his characters. Adrenaline pumping action, amazing slapstick humor, and at times it will leave you in tears. One Piece is truly amazing, and at almost 600 chapters it's still staying true to it's self.
@Burntlettuce:  The appreciation of art, like all entertainment, is subject to taste. That being said, I love the One Piece art. I don't get why some do not like it, but I do realize that it stands out in comparison to other manga/anime art styles. That is what I LOVE about it! I love the distinctive character designs, instead of cookie cutter BS you see in anime.

@Kuma_From_Argentina:

I haven't read the manga. I still don't get how that equated to being emo. He seems to definitely be an ineffective member of the team, but not emo in that example.
Post by JasonBog (29 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I love One Piece! In fact I just got around to writing a review for the fantastic fiftieth volume.
Post by djaidoz (2 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@DoctorWelch: You are wrong. There you go, corrected.
Post by DoctorWelch (25 posts) See mini bio Level 4
@djaidoz said:
" @DoctorWelch: You are wrong. There you go, corrected. "
Thank you random internet person for somehow correcting my first impression of an anime, because you clearly know what my impression of something is better than I do.
Post by CorAutMors (77 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I absolutely love this series.
Post by animefreakchick (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3
My God, have some dignity, man! I watch the Japanese english subbed anime of One Piece, and it is great. Not all, but most. Why do you like GAY BALLERINAS????!!!! Alright, I'll agree that Yonkou Whitebeard, Enel, and Zoro are totally awesome, but really? Jango and Bon Clay? Not even an Ace? Or Yonkou Red-Haired Shanks, for cryin lout loud, what the hell is wrong with you???? Especially if you enjoy seeing Foxy make a comeback even though he is funny. Jesus Christ, get your characters right!
Post by animefreakchick (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3
ok, i'll admit that battleship island was crap.
Post by zaldar (1,300 posts) See mini bio Level 15

isn't all shonen anime like bleach and naruto inherently kiddy though? I don't know tried to watch some of this and wasn't for me.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,389 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@zaldar:

Well, kind of (teens in the US)

Some of them can be enjoy for all ages (like One Piece)

Post by Taterrr (2 posts) See mini bio Level 8

The list of "Top One Piece characters" confuses me. In a beginner's guide, wouldn't the top five characters mostly be on the crew? There are way too many characters in the show to be able to narrow it down to five characters you "must know" :P In other news, One Piece is awesome!

Post by franco2011 (1 posts) See mini bio Level 12

jaja

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel