Begginer Anime Watcher

Topic started by talkingtoast on March 7, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 7 months ago.
Post by talkingtoast (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into some anime.

I recently watched Berserk and loved it, and I'm kinda looking for a fix. What's something that is generally considered really high quality that you think I might be into ?

If you could provide a quick base level reason of why you think this show is a good pick for a beginner that'd be great.

Thanks a lot guys, first post here !

Post by Neurotic (41 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Death Note, Gurren Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist (either series, there are two) and Code Geass are very well regarded. They're all pretty accessible, available, have good dubs and don't overstay their welcome like long running series' such as Bleach, Naruto and One Piece.

Of course you could go the traditional route and watch the 'classics' like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Rurouni Kenshin and Ghost in the Shell. I wouldn't recommend that personally but it's up to you. I don't think they're good for beginners but they're pretty seminal.

What is it you liked about Berserk? I haven't seen it myself so I can't recommend anything more specific based on the title alone.

Post by DocHaus (935 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@talkingtoast:

Welcome to AV. Pick something from the top 10 of this list and watch it. Happy to help.

Post by talkingtoast (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Thanks to both of you ! I've seen Death Note and Ghost in the Shell (the film one), enjoyed them both immensely-- well, the last bit of Death Note kinda sucked, but hey.

I don't know if I could place what I really liked about Berserk. The lack of filler was refreshing, and I enjoyed the mature content/themes.

I think I tried watching something with a main character named Lucy, Elfin Lied or something to that effect, got through the first episode and it was a little too harsh for me. Blech. Mind you, I was like, 13 or so.

P.S. I'm looking into Fullmetal Alchemist-- what's up with regular and Brotherhood ? What do you guys reccomend ?

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@talkingtoast:

The original FMA is more comedic and strays from the manga. Brotherhood is more serious and follows the manga. Brotherhood is the better choice if you ask me. Great series.

But welcome to Anime Vice. There are many helpful users here with lots of varying anime and manga experience and expertise. If you are curious about what to get into the take a look at the Beginner's Guides.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Welcome aboard! I have a list here with micro-reviews which might have something you'd enjoy. Under-suggested shows for the anime novice (nothing too deep here)

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@talkingtoast said:

P.S. I'm looking into Fullmetal Alchemist-- what's up with regular and Brotherhood ? What do you guys reccomend ?

Regular has a way better story and characters. Brotherhood has way better fights. Depends on what you're in the mood for.

If you like Berserk, check out Claymore. They're similar.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel