Banner Making Bootcamp

Topic started by takashichea on Jan. 9, 2014. Last post by waybig1010101 1 month, 1 week ago.
Post by takashichea (12,662 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Last year, I got involved with so many community projects for Anime Vice. Many times, I had to make banners or ask my teammates to make a banner. One of my new year's resolutions is to learn how to make banner. I use Paint.Net, Paint, and Microsoft Word. The reason why I wanted to practice and get it better because I notice folks are picky on reading our articles on this site. I blame myself because I'm doing a disservice to my teammates, the staff, and my community with poor banners of mine. We work so hard on our guides, interviews, and articles for this community. For readers who are not familiar with the community, they won't read an article because of the promo art. This will hurt our foot traffic and get new users on this site.

I welcome all criticism. I can take your brutal opinions. I'm used to it. Please help me to help this community.

Thank you.

Below are my banners that I personally made for the community:

This one was used for my interview with Katmic: AV MOD MATERIAL: The Anime Fan's Experience in Africa. I like that the word art is clearly visible since the Rurouni Kenshin image's coloring was faded.

This one was used for my interviews with sickVisionz and BigHeart711, AV MOD MATERIAL: The Anime Fan's Experience in America, Part 2. The problem with this banner is that it's too wide. I wanted to cram both Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop on the banner. The word art is too small and can't be easily seen in the corner.

For this one, it was used for the AV MOD MATERIAL: The Anime Fan's Experience in the US, Part 1. The title isn't easily seen.

I can't remember what Quick Pick article this one came from. The problems is that the banner is too tall.

I'm not sure why I used Oreimo in my Summer 2013 Simulcast Schedule - - AV MOD MATERIAL. The banner looks weird when you have an anime character on the real life photo.

For the Winter 2014 Anime Guide -- AV MOD MATERIAL, this banner was too wide. On the front page, you can't see the characters well. The purple word art wasn't visible enough to read. Plus, there is a large middle space that was unused.

This was used for the Anime Vice 2013's Top Reviewers. Folks like this banner. Since I was reading reviews, I thought I get starry background. I did this one really quick without much thought. It's weird because I thought it wasn't a good banner.

This one was used for Battlation Of The Month: Taichokage (December 2013). Since I had too much work on my hands, I rushed this banner and made it in Paint. I wish I incorporate his favorite shows in the banner.

This one was not used for any article. It was a rough banner I came up for Screened & You! article. Acura's banner was better because it was simplistic and neutral given that your audience in Anime Vice have a wide array of tastes in TV shows. You don't want to discourage readers by limiting to certain shows.You want to attract them.

First Congratulations
First Congratulations
Final Congratulations!
Final Congratulations!

These two Fairy Tail banners were used for the Fairy Tail Recognition Blogs for Animevice users blog. I made these in Paint. I have no idea how I did the shadow effect in Paint.

Wiki Editors Archive 2011
Wiki Editors Archive 2011

I don't remember how I did that purple overlay for the Fairy Tail's final congratulations banner. I did that 3 years ago on regular Paint program. You can see the shadow effect on that banner. It looks awesome. I wish I knew how to do it again.

Final Congratulations!
Final Congratulations!
Post by bigz007 (1,093 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: I recommend watching some Paint NET instruction videos on YouTube because the stuff people do with this program is just amazing. I also need to train my photoshop skills.

Making those Profile Portrait images is become so easy now.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,245 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@bigz007: @takashichea: most of us need to get better , nice thread BTW

Post by Bigheart711 (3,983 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea: After looking at all of this, you ARE getting better with making banners, but you still need some work. I agree with the suggestion of using Paint.NET and looking for instructions on how to use it.

Also, here's all of mine for showcasing. How are they?

Absolute Destiny Whatever

Sorry, I forgot to reply back.

@bigz007:

I'll take a look at some videos.

@Bigheart711:

Those are great, and I'll base on banners on the size of yours. I'm trying to remember what they look on the front news when you click on the article. These banners are used as promo images.

I made these banners. I can't seem to make word art stand out, so I still rely on Microsoft Word to copy and paste word art.

Post by Acura_Max (2,349 posts) See mini bio Level 13

bumped

Yeah, here are three banners I made for WayBig1010101, a Battlation of February 2014. I lost track of time, so I better work on studies after this.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,227 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I like to think I know a thing or two about making banners. Here's a few I've made in the past:

@Daniel_Newton:

You overachiever!

Nah, I'm kidding with you. Still, I'm jealous of you and your skills.

For me, my size for the banners are always variable. After 's Super Sonico banner was used, I used it as a template for my banner size. Somehow, my banners got bigger after that point.

Dekken's cute banner
Dekken's cute banner

I have a lot to learn from you guys. I haven't made those super long and skinny ones like Daniel did before.

@Bigheart711:

Oh BigHeart711! You're online!

Do you know how to use Paint.Net? Trying to make word art that you and Dekken use.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,983 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea: I also use Paint.NET and Photoshop, but I use a different font for mine in the case of guides.

I was looking on how to do word art in Paint.Net. Found a video, but it only told me on how to make gradient word art.

By Takashichea
By Takashichea
By Dekken
By Dekken

I thank Dekken for his help with the past Spring 2014 and Winter 2014 articles in providing a banner. I forgot what software you had. If you don't have the same program, it's okay. What's your process if you have time?

Post by Dekken (407 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: I use Photoshop CS6.

@Dekken:

I see. I kept forgetting what software you used. You're free show off your banners. There are some folks who use photo shop, Daniel and ShadowKnight508 are the users I remember.

@takashichea: (Sorry for the late response) By the way, by saying "what's your process?", are you referring to how I make my banners?, I'm to very good explaining but I can share some screenshots of my process if you consider it helpful.

@Dekken:

It's all right. I knew you were busy with school and maintaining your new Wikia, AnimeBoobs. I just want to know how you are able to make that word art. Even if it's a Photo Shop, the process should be similar to Paint.Net. It's worth a shot to see how you did it.

@takashichea: Here are the screenshots, the program is in spanish, but I hope this can give you an idea of how I make the banners. I mainly use Layer Styles and the Horizontal Type Mask Tool.

Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

@Dekken:

All right, thanks! Don't worry about it. It's a test to see if I retain the lessons I learn 5 years ago. Funny enough, I did encounter wiki editors whose native tongue was in Spanish when I was moderating wiki pages. At times, I had to check my notes and type messages in Spanish. I wish Sora was here, he was the only Spanish wiki mod we had.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel