Awards Abound: Tezuka, Seiyuu

Topic started by gia on March 5, 2009. Last post by Void_Wizard 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Ooku
Ooku
The Oscars may sort of end the main awards season in the States, but in Japan the prizes and honors keep comin'. The latest two announcements are the nominees for the Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize, awarded to manga who follow the traditions of the Godfather of Manga, and the 3 annual Seiyuu Awards.

Some of the nominees for the Tezuka award are recognizable to you, the readers of anime news and blogs: yaoi mangaka Fumi Yoshinaga's (mostly-)not-yaoi take on a female run Japan, Ooku, Yoshihiro Tatsumi's A Drifiting Life (Drawn & Quarterly is releasing it in English soon), and Hikaru Nakamura's Saint Onii-san, about Jesus and Buddha as roommates in modern Japan.

The rest you may not be familiar with, but may see them in the future: Akimi Yoshida's Umimachi Diary, Fusako Kuramochi's Eki Kara Gofun, Daisuke Igarashi's Children of the Sea, and Akira Sasou's Maestro.

As for the Seiyuu Awards, we only have a partial list via 2ch so far, but it's the biggies. Before I list them: the Seiyuu Awards grant awards to voice actors without necessarily specifying what role they've won for, so the roles that I'm listing with the seiyuu are a couple of things they've done within the last year.

Hiroshi Kamiya
Hiroshi Kamiya

Best Actor: Hiroshi Kamiya (Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, Nozomu Itoshiki; Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Tieria Erde)

Best Actress: Rie Kugimiya (Zero no Tsukaima, Louise; Toradora!, Taiga)

Best Supporting Actor: Kazuhiko Inoue (Detective Conan, Inspector Shiratori; Naruto, Kakashi)

Best Supporting Actor: Tomokazu Sugita (Hetalia Axis Powers, Denmark; Hakushaku to Yousei, Raven)

Best Supporting Actress: Aya Endou (Macross Frontier, Sheryl Nome...supporting? Really?)

Best Supporting Actress: Miyuki Sawashiro (Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, Maria; Kannagi, Tsugumi Aoba)

Best New Actor: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Chrome-Shelled Regios, Layfon Alseif; Asu no Yoichi!, Yoichi)

Best New Actor: Yuuki Kaji (Kuroshitsuji, Finny; Yozakura Quartet, Akina Hiizumi)

Best New Actress: Kana Asumi (Shugo Chara!, Ran; Persona ~Trinity Soul~, Megumi)

Award-deserving Marina Inoue
Award-deserving Marina Inoue

Best New Actress: Haruka Tomatsu (Kannagi, Nagi; To Love-Ru, Lala)

Singing Award: Megumi Nakajima (Macross Frontier, seiyuu and singer for Ranka Lee)

Personality Award: Jun Fukuyama (Code Geass, Lelouch; Spice and Wolf, Craft Lawrence; xxxHOLiC, Kimihiro Watanuki, etc.)

I hope to god there's something for Marina Inoue in the full list-- I think she was fantastic as Iku in Toshokan Sensou, still is fantastic as Kyouko in Skip Beat!, and she's always been good as Kana in Minamike (even if the animation quality dropped off terribly).

Post by yuetheguardian (93 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I had no idea Jun Fukuyama also provided the voice to Watanuki wow, between craft, lelouch, and watanuki that man sure has a diverse voice, and yes a very rich personality.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I adore Jun Fukuyama @_@ Even if I don't watch everything he's in. But I still think Marina Inoue deserves more credit!

Also, back on the manga thing...I reeeeeeeally want Ooku. (VIZ has the license but it's not due out until August. *whine*)
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Jun Fukuyama always wins
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Yay for Rie Kugimiya! <3
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel