AVWP Week #3: Which Anime Streaming Site is the Best?

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Jan. 18, 2013. Last post by Daniel_Newton 1 year, 7 months ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,237 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Anime Network
  • FUNimation
  • Crunchyroll
  • Other (Let Us Know in the Comments!)
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,331 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I guessing official only

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Destinyheroknight: Of course.

Post by Acura_Max (2,374 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Hulu is my choice. I get majority or all of the anime found on crunchyroll, but it does not take as long to stream it. I also get the option of watching a 1 minute ad so I don't have to deal with them while watching the show.

Post by SpeedForceSpider (5,037 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@Destinyheroknight said:

I guessing official only

lol

Post by takashichea (13,130 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I used Funimation a lot without the subscription for a few anime series since Crunchyroll is the main site that has most of the anime series whose wiki projects I'm working on with my teammates.

Funimation and Anime Network doesn't have lot of news articles like what Crunchyroll has. I depend on Crunchyroll in addition to Anime News Network for their news especially working on the new anime trailers that are coming fall, summer, winter, etc. I haven't been to the forum threads for all three sites. I can't comment on that.

I pick Crunchyroll because of those reasons.

Post by YotaruVegeta (595 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I actually like Hulu a lot, but for anime that's going on currently, I think it can't provide everything I'm looking for.

@takashichea: I don't really think that your claims are very valid, but I'll leave it at that. Crunchyroll has shaped up to be a very good news source.

Online Now

@YotaruVegeta:

It's more of a personal preference when I look back at my post. It might not be the best anime streaming site, but it has become more useful to me when I'm doing wiki and writing some news and trailers on it to inform my teammates and community.

Post by Dream (7,892 posts) See mini bio Level 21

YouTube for me when companies like Funimation and Rightstuf offer free episodes. Video player for it is more user friendly in terms of rewatchability and Internet connection in the fact you get more video quality options (from mobile size all the way up to 1080p) and so long as you don't go to another web page, you can replay the video again and even go back to certain parts that caught your attention if the video stream's been loaded up to that point. I'd rank Crunchyroll first if it came to their offering of titles old and new. But their video player isn't as user friendly if you're a sap for rewatching scenes and episodes as you would wind up having to reload the video stream, even if you already went past a scene or watched the entire episode. This is especially an inconvenience if you have Internet with a data cap from your ISP.

Post by Marshal Victory (2,405 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Dream: actualy watched some old high school detective ( the show not the kid) on youtube last night.Some times its just as ya say can find some good things their.

@YotaruVegeta: I picked Crunchyroll like takashichea but for difrent reasons. Hulu has some problems one big one is the "watch this longer comerical an no comericals rest of show deal".. only worls for me about 1/3rd fo time any more. When it doesnt i have to restart the vid an the just watch it with comercial .I use Hulu an like how its got better.But i hate the way they have coments set up atm.

Online Now

@Dream:

I agree. Youtube's video is so much convenient.

Sometimes, HULU and Crunchyroll's video freezes on me.

@Marshal Victory:

Regarding ads for folks who don't have a HULU or Crunchyroll subscription, I prefer Crunchyroll's video over HULU since HULU freezes on me a lot during ads while CR's ads does not. I tried lots of things such as disabling Noscript and Adblock. Though, (without subscriptions), Crunchyroll's videos are too small, and HULU is much better in quality.

@takashichea: you try puitng the vid quality to medium? It helped me alot. Tho when they have heavy use i have to pause an buffer . Just depends on the show mostly.

edit : bah just got done watching burn notice on hulu an it froze like mad during comericals.No back ground downloads etc so its lag from what ever server runs the comercials.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Hulu and Netflix have the best players for me. Streams basically never die on me and if they do, they auto resume in less than a second. However, their simulcast lineup isn't that great and even with Hulu+ there is advertising so I don't like it as much as Crunchyroll. Additionally, Funimation is their primary source for anime and Funi has really poor picture quality streams compared to everywhere else.

Funimation has a a terrible, terrible player.

TAN is pretty much nonexistent for me. They get like 1 or 2 shows per season, if that. Additionally, there is no watch for free option. You get two episodes and then it's locked behind a pay wall.

Crunchyroll has streams that regularly die on me (I've had this happen up to like 3 separate times in one episode) and it's maddening that it's so bad. No other site I stream anime from is like this and it's super frustrating because it's not like Hulu where if a stream dies, it auto-resumes in like one second. CR just locks and has to be manually refreshed. However, CR gets more anime that I want to watch so I prefer them. On top of that, their picture quality for nearly everything they have is on par with HD streaming from Netflix.

Crunchyroll gets my vote.

@sickVisionz said:

Crunchyroll has streams that regularly die on me (I've had this happen up to like 3 separate times in one episode) and it's maddening that it's so bad.

Really? Have you tried using a different browser or computer/device? I've never had a problem like that with Crunchyroll. The worst it's ever been for me is when my internet slows down in general (which rarely happens now that I'm on a 30Mb connection) and I have to leave it paused to buffer.

Also, Hulu+ has ads? Blegh. Zero ads has always been the obvious, core feature of a premium streaming service in my opinion.

Online Now

@Marshal Victory:

Funny, HULU Support Twitter told me the same advice. Sometimes, medium quality will work, but then the video froze during the ads.

@Daniel_Newton:

Also, Hulu+ has ads? Blegh. Zero ads has always been the obvious, core feature of a premium streaming service in my opinion.

That was one of my reasons to not purchase HULU+. I think it goes for Funimation Elite subscription when watching certain anime series that don't have SVOD (subscription on demand).

@sickVisionz:

In my experience:

On my old computer, Windows XP, Crunchyroll would slow down a lot. When I got the new computer, it works fine with the crappy internet connection in 720P and above. Though in time, I probably won't get the chance to watch CR in high quality if I don't take care of my computer. Oddly enough, I remember HULU working fine on my Windows XP than my Windows 7 back then. On the XP, I watch more anime on HULU than Crunchyroll.

Computers and internet connection are fickle. There are too many factors hindering us to watch our anime legally.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Daniel_Newton: It happens on everything I use (Android Phone, other computers, PS3) and even back at my old apartment which had a different ISP and internet type (cable vs DSL). My inet is more than fast enough to do it, and I've even tried dropping down to 480p streams to see if that helps. It seems like if there is ever any type of hiccup at all in my connection, CR dies while services like Hulu and Netflix don't even bat an eye and keep things going.

I've had situations where I've literally watched like 12 episodes in a row of a show on Netflix (all in High HD) with zero issue, then I try to watch a Naruto episode on CR and the stream dies multiple times and it seems like it's getting worse and worse. Streams dying used to be maybe once every three episodes but these days it's pretty much guaranteed that everything will die on me at least once.

@sickVisionz: Huh, maybe Crunchyroll just doesn't know how to handle connection interruptions, though in this day and age that really shouldn't be the issue when other streaming sites handle that just fine. I've been lucky enough that since my internet speed went up to 30Mb the connection practically never cuts out. It will slow down on the odd occasion, but it's only been interrupted once within the past... I don't know, two months or something. So maybe that's it.

All I can suggest really is browsing the Crunchyroll forums to see if other people have the same issue, if you haven't tried that already of course. Wish I had some more useful advice!

@takashichea: Well i think they are right .Heres why an probly why they freeze on comercials to.

1st lets talk resolution. if your not set up for 1080 as the second number then watching any thing close to that it just a waste . A for example i run 1920x1200 so 1080 hd is np hell im way above that. the number behind the x is important in this case.

2nd your absoluty right hulu used to work better.I use vista an have for um 5 years or so.Its not the operating system its what they changed.

3rd Now with all that heres my theory on why you freeze on comercials. Some of them are only in 1080hd.So it would cause a lag spike when watching it.Because its from a difrent server then the main show is on.So all the suden you have no buffer for the comerical but once its done when the main show starts your at full buffer.An its not just you it happens to me as well as my brother.Added resolution + a difrent server conection speed could equal lag.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/ for me is horrid. I tried all the fixs they sugest an it rarely will buffer.So it lags alot.An odly enuf some of their vids are on hulu it uses that player comercials an all. http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Mysterious-Girlfriend-X/Mysterious-Girlfriend-X/Watch as a example. but say http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/This-Boy-Can-Fight-Aliens/Trailer/Watch trailer freezes. My guess here is just lousy conection.But i can watch other sites np. If thats your dsl speed your like me on a dsl modem lite deal basicly its lower end of the spectrum but way better than dial up.im suposed to be 1200mps but its always less than that an if brothers on network as well im around your speeds.

Oh one other thing that could posibly help. routers an modems really should be turned off once a month for a few minutes. The better ones have memory an things can slow up their.

Post by Kobra678 (3,338 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Most of the time I either use

Edit: Links to illegal streaming sites removed.

@Kobra678: Linking to illegal streaming websites is not allowed on Anime Vice, the links you posted have been removed. Please don't link to such sites in the future.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel