Are Game Adaption's a good idea

Topic started by Little_Sparrow on May 30, 2010. Last post by macker33 4 years, 3 months ago.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Now we all know that games turned into Anime often work well and I am more the happy that Tales of a Symphonia has finally got it's much needed jump into the world of animation. I loved both the game cube and PlayStation versions of the game and sadly yet to watch the animation. Part of me is worried that this could ruin my much beloved game and it's characters and another part of me is wondering how many games would fit an anime treatment rather then a live action movie, or what games could be made into an anime and vice versa. A lot of games have story lines that can easily be placed into a mini series or larger and I often wondered why never got to see a Final Fantasy series based of the characters in FF7, I mean Advent children was cool but I wanted more and find that with most adoptions  

So do you guys think it is a good idea to adapt the games and which games would you like to see adapted into anime? or is it just a cheap way to make money?
Post by ssjsuperman (1,661 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Yes i think its good idea for video games to be made into a anime lots of the rpgs i play seem just like a anime. 

Games that i think could be expanded into a anime are.  

The front mission series. 

Radiata stories but   generally most of the games made by  tri-Ace could be tuened into a anime. 

As for a    cheap way to make money yes if terning games into anime becomes popular im sure that people will abuse the source just for profit.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I'd buy a Bayonetta anime assuming it wasn't balls out bad.  They couldn't go wrong as long as they made it over the top in comedy, violence and fan service.  A lot of games developed in Japan, ones that actually have a story of course, feel like they'd fit perfect in an anime.
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@sickVisionz said:
" I'd buy a Bayonetta anime assuming it wasn't balls out bad.  They couldn't go wrong as long as they made it over the top in comedy, violence and fan service.  A lot of games developed in Japan, ones that actually have a story of course, feel like they'd fit perfect in an anime. "
This. I support this. I'd totally buy a Bayonetta anime. Just follow what the did in game and just make a better story or a continuation and i'm sold.
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Area 88 was great so i would say yes,,if the people who made queens blade made street fighter(without so much service) that would be great too. Dead space and dantes inferno were ok. 
Heck,imagine a decent bioshock OVA,even leisure suit larry could be good.

I can think of a lot of WWII games that would make great anime.CoD WaW,il2 sturmovik,silent hunter,sniper elite,,impossible to go wrong.
Post by Dream (7,637 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
For a mediocre video game, Gungrave worked surprisingly well as an anime. I'd say the problem with adapting a game into an anime is that it in many instances, such anime are treated as product promotions and rather than creating a quality storyline with said anime, they treat said anime as a promotion and don't bother fleshing out plot and characters.
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Dream said:
" For a mediocre video game, Gungrave worked surprisingly well as an anime. I'd say the problem with adapting a game into an anime is that it in many instances, such anime are treated as product promotions and rather than creating a quality storyline with said anime, they treat said anime as a promotion and don't bother fleshing out plot and characters. "
In all fairness, anime is pulitzer prize winning material compared to the story and characters you find in most video games.
Post by Gozertc (106 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I'm not against Game Movies or Anime, my biggest problem with them is that most of the time they just follow the games story, but not quite.  For instance:  

Mass Effect.  If you don't know the game has been optioned for a movie and I'm pretty happy to hear that.  On the other hand I think the number one worst thing they can do is make a Shepard story.  Why?  Because EVERYONE playing Mass Effect has a different version of Shepard, different choices, and by two games in rather major different characters.  (WREX! My man! :) ) You try and make a story based on his storyline and you're going to piss off a lot of folks because it's not "Their" story.  To me the universe is big enough for a "first contact" story or something else.  Don't touch what the players already know intimately.   

Now on the flip side dating sim games give you similar "story changing" options yet can make for fun Anime series.  Love Hina comes to mind first off, and while in the game I probably would have chosen someone else, the animators picked a single storyline and stuck with it.  That's going to be key in any Game - Movie/series transition, sticking to a single storyline and making it fit.   

Post by Centimani (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I'm of the belief that both mediums are pretty similar in the way they convey their story elements, but nothing is jumping out at me as a good fit for anime adaptations. Games such as Mass Effect with a gigantic universe already established would give the creators alot of breathing room with story and characters. It all comes down to execution, virtually anything could be a wonderful anime given to the right people. 

@Gozertc: Something I've wanted to know more about for a while has been the first contact war between the humans and turians (Garrus's race). I personally think a turian could look pretty bad-ass in an anime style.
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@centimani said:
@Gozertc: Something I've wanted to know more about for a while has been the first contact war between the humans and turians (Garrus's race). I personally think a turian could look pretty bad-ass in an anime style. "
Outlaw star and Angel links have a turian like character,,,,,,,,yuck,i cant believe i had to let my shepard make out with garrus,,i'm still not sure the achievement points were worth it.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel