Aniplex "rescues" Gurren Lagann, Blu Ray to cost 670 dollars

Topic started by AgentJ on March 29, 2013. Last post by Bigheart711 1 year, 5 months ago.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

When Bandai Namco's publishing division went under last year, one of their most popular properties was Gurren Lagann. Fearing that no one would pick up the license, the DVD sets were bought up in droves. Now, Aniplex of America has announced that they now hold the Gurren Lagann license. With that, they will now release the series on DVD for 175, and on Blu Ray for 670. An announcement I can only imagine was greeted with boos at Sakura Con in Seattle.

If one wanted to pick up the series on Blu Ray, they'd need to pay over 20 dollars per episode.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,284 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Damn you Aniplex

Post by Dream (7,677 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Guess the Aniplex rescue was expected, considering they released the Gurren Lagann movies a few years ago.

The extra goodies for the DVD release would make the $175 worth it, but paying nearly $700 for the Blu-Ray release is obviously gonna ruffle enough feathers with the American fanbase.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,284 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Oh wait, I have the DVD

So I don't have to worry

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Destinyheroknight: I have the DVD. I'd like the Blu Ray.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
The bluray is just an import. A cheaper domestic release will probably come within a year or two.
Post by Bigheart711 (3,932 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I'd buy the Blu-Ray as well, but only if the domestic release shows up a while later. I don't have THAT much resentment for my own wallet anyways.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel