Anime/Manga Editing, help me.

Topic started by gamingartist on April 6, 2009. Last post by gamingartist 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by gamingartist (2 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Hi fellow fans, I am in need of help. I am writing an argumentative paper on censorship/editing in manga and anime and I need to find some good sources. I need "current" sources that being from December 2008 to current. (my prof is picky) I can use other sources but I need some current ones. If anyone knows some good sources please help, they need  to have publication dates and author and well written. I will take things on both side this is an argument paper remember.
Here is the one good one I have found thus far, it is a good read and nicely done
----http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2008-12-11/christopher-handley/jason-thompson
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Um... does it need to be a "professional" article? Those are a dime a dozen.

If you don't need a formal source (though most papers do need those), you can use:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/chicks-on-anime/2009-01-06
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/chicks-on-anime/2009-01-13

Other than that, I have nothing. Good luck with your assignment.
Well I am not sure if those will work I will check on that, but thanks for the help.

The whole "professional" article thing all it needs to really be is able to be cited with MLA format: Aurthur, title, date, site it was on/group, and url.

The wiki page is very informative but not a viable source for this sadly, nice still.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing_of_anime_in_American_distribution#Violence.2C_blood.2C_gore.2C_death.2C_and_weapons

Well... I have no idea if your professor is a stickler for specific sources that are legitimate (for example, wikipedia is NOT a legitimate source). My English teachers have drilled that into my head my whole life so I'm always wary when it comes to Internet resources.

Technically, you can use what I linked to in my previous post. It does fit one of the sources you can put using MLA format.
Instead of memorizing how to do a Work Cited page in MLA format, I just use this website: http://www.easybib.com/
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
What kind of evidence are you searching for? Are you looking for professional academic articles --articles written by scholars/professors and published in peer reviewed journals? Have you tried looking at the source portion on the wikipedia page? Usually that's a good place to start from. Are you writing for college or high school? If you're in the university do you have access to databases? If so, search through proquest or project muse. Granted, it'll probably be hard to find scholarly articles since anime isn't typically considered a subject worth studying and writing about in the academic community. Vary your search terms to include words related or similar to "anime" or even anime titles. Try searching for books on pop culture--you may find anime discussed there. I would say blogs are a great place to look and could be considered evidence because the people writing them are "experts" in the subject they're writing about; some may even cite other sources that you can use like magazine/journal articles or books. They're not usually considered academic sources, however provided this is a pop culture topic you might want to bring the idea up to your professor. Depending on the kind of stickler he/she is, you might be able to get away with using some info from them. If not, blogs can give you a general idea about what people are saying on the subject of censorship and anime; you can then form your own opinion based on the information. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions about any of the suggestions.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
RedRoses said:
"Well... I have no idea if your professor is a stickler for specific sources that are legitimate (for example, wikipedia is NOT a legitimate source). My English teachers have drilled that into my head my whole life so I'm always wary when it comes to Internet resources.

Technically, you can use what I linked to in my previous post. It does fit one of the sources you can put using MLA format.
Instead of memorizing how to do a Work Cited page in MLA format, I just use this website: http://www.easybib.com/
"
Your professors are dinosaurs.
ethan said:
"Your professors are dinosaurs."
Well... I could give an argument that most Internet sources are absolute bogus hunks of junk. My teachers aren't the only reason why I think Internet sources should be scrutinized and chosen with utmost precision.

A quick summary of my view on Internet resources:
It's quite easy to give out random "facts" and what not on the information highway... practically it's editable on the fly whereas books and print publications take a longer process to get published because it goes through many different people before it even gets approved.

And even if you get it from a legit news source online, Internet users have indirectly forced news reporters to write articles about dim little tidbits with fourth grader language so that the general populace can understand articles. More indepth analysis on key events/happenstances are difficult to come by (at least in my opinion anyway) The only news articles that actual commentary without sounding elementary tend to focus on political things but that's basically it. Internet culture dictates what is online obviously and the lazy/fast-paced people online want articles quick, efficient, and timely.

As for opinion-related pieces such as this particular topic on censorship, well that's subjective. It depends if the author has enough motivation to write things with detailed passion and analysis... but those are a dime a dozen.

Uhh... I could go on with this random tangent but I'm a lazy bum.
Post by Lunarmoth (193 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I don't got anything specific but the book 'Everything bad is good for you' is a good read on the topic of misunderstood pop culture. It a bit dated by being made in 05 but it your a fast reader you can break through it in a day or two. On reports you just got to start everywhere.
Thank all for the additional input.  I am finding some good information but I am having a problem finding good sources (being any of this type of material-"professional academic articles,articles written by scholars/professors and published in peer reviewed journals" blogs, discussions. any of those or other well or fair written items that are current from around December of  2008 to current) Also I am writing this for a college paper and my prof is only being really picky on the date of publication and if it has an author.

I have found things on the The case against Christopher Handley  (look it up if you don't know yet) and some other sources that I can show there is something going on in the area of people being for or against manga and anime. If anyone knows of a group or site that is discontent with this that has gotten something in the news by doing something, or has a site, and or some group that is against the anit-manga group like the ECA(Electronic Consumers Association) is for gamers against the anti gaming legislation. Passing them along to me would be very helpful. Same goes for any good titles to look into for having people get up in arms about them.

Thanks again everyone.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel