Anime you thought was good but others didn't like and vice versa

Topic started by justanormalguy on Jan. 21, 2012. Last post by cynically_happy 2 years, 5 months ago.
Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Anime I liked: School Days, Ouran High School Host Club and Chobits - was told it's girly anime -, Dragon Ball GT (off the top of my head. Will update if necessary)

Anime I didn't like: Fooly Cooly, One Piece, Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original series), Gin Tama, Sekirei, Gurren Lagann - tried the series and didn't really enjoy it as I thought I was gonna -, Queen's Blade (I really can go on with this list, so I'm gonna cut it off there. Lol.)

What about you guys?

P.S. One thing that really irks me about anime fans is they put one anime as the entire collective of anime. I was told that "Since you don't like FLCL, you don't like anime". Really? That's like saying since I don't like apples, I can't like apple juice. It's really stupid if you ask me. The otaku out there need to realize that you don't have to like the same things to be a fan of anime.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10
We already have this thread here and here
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,157 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Any anime I watch, since I have friends who don't like anime

@justanormalguy:

One thing that really irks me about anime fans is they put one anime as the entire collective of anime. I was told that "Since you don't like FLCL, you don't like anime". Really? That's like saying since I don't like apples, I can't like apple juice. It's really stupid if you ask me. The otaku out there need to realize that you don't have to like the same things to be a fan of anime.

That go with any fandom, not just anime

Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Probably almost everything, but the one I'm always flabbergasted that so many people didn't like is School Days. On the opposite side, I'm always shocked that so many people like Now and Then, Here and There.

@justanormalguy said:

P.S. One thing that really irks me about anime fans is they put one anime as the entire collective of anime. I was told that "Since you don't like FLCL, you don't like anime". Really? That's like saying since I don't like apples, I can't like apple juice. It's really stupid if you ask me. The otaku out there need to realize that you don't have to like the same things to be a fan of anime.

That goes with any fandom of anything. Thats as much a universal part of fandom as the early mid-tier fan to feel like an enlightened genius and being incredibly dismissive of the legitimacy of any fan with less experience than theirs.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@sickVisionz said:

Probably almost everything, but the one I'm always flabbergasted that so many people didn't like is School Days. On the opposite side, I'm always shocked that so many people like Now and Then, Here and There.

I watched Now and Then recently, not my favourite anime ever but I thought it was pretty good with a lot of memorable scenes. What about it didn't you like, and what sets School Days above it for you? I've never seen School Days but already knowing the ending has pretty much killed any enthusiasm I would have had for watching it.
Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Petiew: For NT,HT, the bad guy was too goofy for me to ever buying into anyone actually following his command or fearing him. The dub probably doesn't help because he sounds sillier than Bonkers the Cat. I also it too heavy handed with it's messages. It beats you over the head with the statements it wants to make about the environment and abortion. I always prefer a more subtle approach to addressing serious real life issues, or at least political ones that are topical, in things that are extremely fictional.

For School Days, it's awesome. Imagine every harem, then take out all of the annoying tropes where the guy allegedly likes girls but gays up around them, the idea that high school kids never want to fool around and make out, and that people actually can ask each other out and begin dating. Harems are usually so focused on falling in love that people won't even admit that they like each other until the last episode or near it. School Days kicks off immediately with a couple and then it shows the ups and downs of maintaining a relationship, which is way more compelling to me than the when will they even admit to themselves that they might like [insert character] that almost all other harems offer. In addition, there isn't too much fanservice in it. After about the first 3 or 4 episodes the series it's nearly non-existent and usually doesn't even venture into ecchi territory.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

As Turambar linked above, I recently answered the question of shows I've liked that others have not. As for the one about anime that everyone else seems to enjoy but I don't; Code Geass is probably the most noteworthy. That is not to say that I don't find it to be a well crafted show. It's just that I need to feel positive about the main protagonist in order to really enjoy a show and I disliked Lelouch vehemently. I spent much of the series hoping he would fail, get hurt or be put out of my misery. It was not a satisfying experience, but I persisted because it is an important show to anime culture and I needed to know it. One of these days I need to sit down and watch Death Note, too but that's another I think is just going to piss me off. Someday, I will though.

I didn't like Chobits much since when it was over I felt more depressed by the "romance" than uplifted. I watch a lot of romance shows and rom-comedies, so reaching the end and feeling dispirited is something that bothers me. I keep putting off School Days and Clannad After Story for similar reasons.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@sickVisionz: I don't necessarily think it was trying to say "Abortion is terrible you shouldn't do it". I'd say the idea was more like "There's still hope even in a world such as this" which is what the ending was basically about.
I watched the subbed version, so not too sure about the voice. I agree that Hamzo was completely insane, this was actually the point of his character, he's meant to be a crazy dictator with a ton of mental problems. He's goofy and insane but he has all this power so people have to follow his insane ideas. It's somewhat similar to real life dictators.
Though I do agree with what you said about the heavy handed "Lala Ru is the environement, stop abusing it!" thing.

For School Days, I heard most of the characters were really unlikeable? But given what you said about it I might give it a look.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,157 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Petiew:

I heard most of the characters were really unlikeable?

Well, if you like the Douchebag Teenager (sorry for the language, but that what I think of them) then you probably will like it (I do like it somewhat)

Post by cynically_happy (115 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I thought Summer Wars wasn't all that great, Visually it was fantastic but the plot and Characters didn't really impress me

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel