Anime Vice, Should I Be Pissed Off??

Topic started by FoxxFireArt on Aug. 7, 2011. Last post by GunslingerPanda 3 years, 1 month ago.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25

There's a Fine Line Between Teasing and Open Contempt. Which is This?!

It's not often I ever really editorialize for my blog on Anime Vice, but something I only saw recently has me kind of scratching my head in confusion. It started a few days ago when I was on Comic Vine. I saw a link of their community section for a video discussion for Batgirl Year One. What I saw was a detailed and very informative video about the comic by Whiskey Media interns, Matt "Bodega" Kessler and Steve "Lemon" Ramirez. The basic theme of this feature is that they discuss older series and see if they can still stand up to a modern audience. I had never seen these episode features before. I was also surprised to see one listed for Neon Genesis Evangelion. The series is easily one of the classics for anime and can bring about a very rich discussion. Even more so if you bring up the latest Rebuild of Evangelion projects that have been coming out only recently. What I did notice though was that this particular video was only a little over a minute long. Much shorter than all the others. There was a rather interesting synopsis of what the series means to the history of anime, but their review basically sums up to simply this. "Fuck Anime.". No, I'm not paraphrasing. That's what they literally only said. "Fuck Anime". They then go on to mention talking to one of the editors of Anime Vice. Here I was thinking they were going to go from a joke to possibly talking with Tom Pinchuk over the phone or Skype to get his views on the series. Since he covered it for his Watch & Learn series. Instead, it cut to an empty couch for a few seconds.

Hold on. Maybe there's an explanation.
Hold on. Maybe there's an explanation.

I've played football in school on a very large team. So, I know all about harsh though well-natured teasing. This has me kind of confused. I honestly don't know if I should be laughing or be kind of pissed off. Repeatedly, I've seen little other than open contempt to anime and manga from many of the personalities of the sites. This is in no way a statement directed to either Ethan or Daniel. I know that these two have been really supportive and stand up guys to the community of Anime Vice. The same for Tom. Even Coonce occasionally drops in to say a few good things in posts. I know it can't be really easy when you have no in house staff to represent anime, but does that mean you should just constantly mock it in this manner?

There just comes a point when all you are hearing are insults and no praise that you start to wonder if it's teasing, or do they honestly hate you? The mantra that I've often heard from the editors on the Whiskey Media Live Show is, "Anime is for jerks.". How do you expect users from the other sites to drop in and see what's on here if that's all they are ever hearing from the main personalities? Users will often follow the lead of a site personality. I've always tried to be inclusive and welcoming to users from the other Whiskey Media brands as a moderator on Anime Vice. I've personally dedicated a lot of hours into this site. Both editing the wiki pages of numerous series and writing articles for the news page. I really enjoy doing it. When I go into other websites to try and attract new users. I don't just mention Anime Vice. I talk about Whiskey Media as a whole.

It seems as if I'm not to only one who has mixed views about this video. It's getting almost as many negative reviews as positive. Some calling it "needlessly cruel". Was this a rather drawn out example of teasing, or a bold slap in the Anime Vice community's face? I really would like to know.

-Kristoffer Remmell (FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.- Follow for news updates: @ animevice / @ FoxxFireArt

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I would think this was a joke since they didn't even include someone from Anime Vice in the polling or whatever. Also, these guys are Whiskey Interns and should not have a hard time getting Tom or a AV Mod to "sit on the couch". And another thing; from what I understand Whiskey Media Interns are automatically thrown into doing Anime Vice duties (articles, videos, editing, etc.) before working with any of the other sites. But! It seems to me that no one who works at Whiskey Media wants to be a part of Anime Vice or joins because of AV. I am also not speaking to the Whiskey Staff who actually do work with the site and the users. My question for all this is: why after all this do we not have a full-time Anime Vice Staffer? What will it take to get one?
Post by metalsnakezero (675 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I feel the problem is that when they talk about anime they never really serious about it and don't admit that it isn't for them.
Post by FLStyle (423 posts) See mini bio Level 12

That video is as offensive now as it was the first time I saw it. Spoke to Ethan about it when I saw it, was given some nonsense about making the anime is for jerks joke "their own" as if there's something positive or funny to take away from it.

@sotyfan16 said:

I would think this was a joke since they didn't even include someone from Anime Vice in the polling or whatever. Also, these guys are Whiskey Interns and should not have a hard time getting Tom or a AV Mod to "sit on the couch". And another thing; from what I understand Whiskey Media Interns are automatically thrown into doing Anime Vice duties (articles, videos, editing, etc.) before working with any of the other sites. But! It seems to me that no one who works at Whiskey Media wants to be a part of Anime Vice or joins because of AV. I am also not speaking to the Whiskey Staff who actually do work with the site and the users. My question for all this is: why after all this do we not have a full-time Anime Vice Staffer? What will it take to get one?

No-one who works in anime journalism would submit themselves to Whiskey Media's idea of anime and Anime Vice. Gia and John are prime examples of that.

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

You should feel what ever you feel about it. they seem to have no problems showing their feelings. Even if it ''might'' be a joke, I don't even take the interns that seriously.

Now If you'll excuse me I'm going to watch the Angry Joe show way better and more professional ^^

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,342 posts) See mini bio Level 21

This does make me mad, I probably will stop paying if this continues

@Kelleth:

Now If you'll excuse me I'm going to watch the Angry Joe show way better and more professional ^^

LOL!

Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Destinyheroknight said:

This does make me mad, I probably will stop paying if this continues

@Kelleth:

LOL!

Lets be honest, while what Kelleth says is funny, Angry Joe is way more professional
This guy can't make jokes except for "Oh look empty couch", put it this way when I see Angry Joe review on say the news on Steel battalion it was funny and well not rage making. I mean seriously THIS is their intern training "Make a video to show your mindest of how Anime is for Jerks" . How the hell are you expecting users to join with this? HOW? i want to know this secret of marketting where you can treat one of your customer as crap and profits from the same subset of customer . Seriously even 4 Chan doesn't act like this , yes I am using them as standard
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,342 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@cfatalis:

I know, I just find it funny

Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Honestly I hope it's a joke. Otherwise its a bold insult to the community here. But because there was not even an AV Mod in the video, I'd like to believe it is a joke if anything.  

ND

@Newdeath said:

Honestly I hope it's a joke. Otherwise its a bold insult to the community here. But because there was not even an AV Mod in the video, I'd like to believe it is a joke if anything. ND

It's not a joke, it really isn't. It's shameless pandering to anti-anime Giant Bomb members.

Everyone uses this as permission to shit all over anime and Anime Vice.

Post by Bigheart711 (4,124 posts) See mini bio Level 21
FoxxFireArt, as a person, you have a right to feel what you want to feel about pretty much any subject, especially this one.

I'm also unsure of whether the site personalities (Excluding Ethan, Daniel, Coonce and the other staff who work for this site as well) were teasing us, but after looking at the episode of Dig Deep at hand once again, I'm pretty offended at that video now because it also takes a stab at the AV community (My account on here is my very first WM account, FYI) and also wondering if this and most of the other cases are either teasing us or downsizing us as a community. It's fine if the site personalities  aren't into anime, but if they're really downsizing it, then problems could occur that might damage WM's reputation as a whole. Not just AV's.

EDIT: 
@Kelleth said:

I miss that show! I used to watch it, but now I want to see it again. T_T
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@FLStyle: Well that's just uncalled for. It's sad how many people look down on AnimeVice. 

ND
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Bigheart711: Then hop over to @TheAngryJoeShow and watch the Sonic Free riders review first :)

Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Let's face it, most comic fans don't like us. I don't know what the cause was but it's been like this for a long time.  I remember going to my town's local comic book store and hearing the owner and two other guys badmouthing anime/manga (sucks for him because he lost a customer who spent 150 dollers a month there).
I think it's a bit of a rivalary thing. We are the only real competition that they have, and we've been steadily growing in popularity since the 90's. I'm pretty sure the last time i checked our sales have reached the same level as comic readers in The US alone.
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Bigheart711: @Newdeath:  It doesn't matter if something is done with the intent of teasing and not malice as they can be both offensive. First time is all fine, but then they made it into some sort of interning ritual?  Are they expecting exclusive user of this site should pay 4.95 monthly for this? BULL , I can think off 4 reason not to pay, but none to pay. Keep being reminded i am a guy who can find reasons to keep my subscription of a fucking magazine whose content I can get online for free legally
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I agree with everyone else here, you have every right to be mad. In fact, I'm very disappointed in them myself. I'd like to think of it as a joke, but they were so serious about it and repetitive that it just didn't come off that way.

Post by Bigheart711 (4,124 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@Kelleth: Many thanks! :)

@cfatalis: Agreed. In this situation, I don't see much of anyone that would subscribe to a paid account if/when they've been offended many times whether they've been teased or not.
Post by Halberdierv2 (1,296 posts) See mini bio Level 17
this joke has gone way too far. that's why I don't go to GB forums anymore.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@FLStyle said:

No-one who works in anime journalism would submit themselves to Whiskey Media's idea of anime and Anime Vice. Gia and John are prime examples of that.

I'm not really sure what that means. If I didn't live on the East coast I would sign up. If anything so there would be a voice that isn't such an jerk about anime all the time.

Jokes are one thing, but that's all they ever do about anime on the Live Show and other venues. There comes a point where I've stopped seeing it as a joke and started seeing it as hatred masked as a joke.

@FoxxFireArt said:

@FLStyle said:

I'm not really sure what that means. If I didn't live on the East coast I would sign up. If anything so there would be a voice that isn't such a jerk about anime all the time.

But you'd have to work under their asshole about anime restrictions, that's the point I'm making. Gia was hired to create a Whiskey Media website and instead she created an anime website. In the end that's why she was laid off. You'd never have as much free reign as she had because they've learnt their lesson, you must have Whiskey Media in mind, not anime. As you can see from the way Anime Vice is run now with no industry news articles and only watch and learn, weekly manga discussion and Community Spotlights making the editorial section, it's now a website that's relatable to them and those that share their viewpoint on anime.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel