Anime Vice should have an IRC channel.

Topic started by Void_Wizard on Dec. 14, 2008. Last post by Sigue 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Yes, we should and I'd prefer it to be on Rizon though I don't mind what server it is really.

What do you think?
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Nope, anime vine need active forums for the moment.
Endogene said:
"Nope, anime vine need active forums for the moment."
It can have both.
Post by Agent_Lost (1,124 posts) See mini bio Level 10
wait, the reason that GB has a IRC channel is that a lot of people were making pointless threat?
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I spend most of my time hanging around Japanator's irc, so I dunno if I'd really hang out there.
Baku_Sensei said:
"I spend most of my time hanging around Japanator's irc, so I dunno if I'd really hang out there."
lol? You could just join both channels/servers. =/
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I know, but I'm not one for multiple chats.
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
ok i know im slow but what is an IRC Channel??
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Jewel, IRC is Internet Relay Chat. Think of it as sort of a proto-AIM. You log onto a server, which has a bunch of different chat rooms you can join (almost always created and maintained by users on the server). The chat rooms fill up with people, and you can private message them and whatnot.

It's mostly died off in favor of various IM services, but it's still pretty significant in certain geekdoms-- in anime it's major because it's still where a lot of fansubbers and scanlators do initial distribution...even most of the ones that put their stuff up as torrents still use IRC as well.

If people want it, I'd make an IRC channel. But what server? I know the Jtor folks will be biased in favor of IRCHighway, since that's where the jtor chatroom already is...I'm thinking Rizon might be a better choice since that's where more of the anime chats tend to be.

Thoughts?
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
OH ok i got you now, thanks Gia... its kinda Instant chat.. but in a room/forum thing, yeah i have been in those years ago.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
ugh..... a site where i go to still has that system it takes forever to load a simple link page and on top of that the idiots also put on lots of pop-up adds ><
Post by PureRok (58 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Rizon is a good one. I'd join the channel if there was one since I have no life and can afford to be in multiple channels at a time.
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
If you are going to do one Gia I'd go with Rizon too, you're right that it has a much larger anime focus.
Devilly said:
"ugh..... a site where i go to still has that system it takes forever to load a simple link page and on top of that the idiots also put on lots of pop-up adds ><"
That's because the site or Java running on your computer is slow. Don't use site irc links use irc in an irc client like mIRC on Windows.
@Gia: I'm all in favor of you making the IRC channel on Rizon and everyone else who has a preference has posted that here. :-P
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
i have not used irc in years. spent a lot of time on it years ago in some 80's cartoons channels. i do agree that a channel for anime vice would be good to have but the priority at the moment should be trying to get more traffic on the forums.
Lemegeton300 said:
"i have not used irc in years. spent a lot of time on it years ago in some 80's cartoons channels. i do agree that a channel for anime vice would be good to have but the priority at the moment should be trying to get more traffic on the forums."
An IRC channel is very easy to make and doesn't take much effort to mod(I've made one and maintained one myself before).
Post by Sharp (35 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Interesting.  I haven't used IRC a lot for a while, myself.  Mostly, I floated through the various warez channels.  If AnimeVice got an IRC channel, I think I'd pop in.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I'm biased towards irchighway. Even if Rizon has more of the anime fandom, one look at the majority of your active forum users should tell you that isn't much of a concern.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Void_Wizard said:
"Lemegeton300 said:
"i have not used irc in years. spent a lot of time on it years ago in some 80's cartoons channels. i do agree that a channel for anime vice would be good to have but the priority at the moment should be trying to get more traffic on the forums."
An IRC channel is very easy to make and doesn't take much effort to mod(I've made one and maintained one myself before)."
yeah i know that i more meant that if there was an irc channel then the guys that are active on the forum might spend all their time in irc chatting
as opposed to posting on the forums, and the forums would be quiter than they are now. an irc channel would be good just as long as people still try to use both
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
PureRok said:
"Rizon is a good one. I'd join the channel if there was one since I have no life and can afford to be in multiple channels at a time."
We're in the same boat man
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel