Anime Vice Japanese Lessons!

Topic started by FoxxFireArt on Dec. 6, 2010. Last post by iLoveLampXx 1 year, 5 months ago.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Join the Anime Vice Community and learn to read and write Japanese!!

Introduction

Greetings, I want to welcome everyone for joining in on the lessons I plan to cover exclusively with the Anime Vice community. As with many of you, I'm a fan of manga and anime, but I always found myself at the mercy of whoever was doing the translations. Though, I've never been the biggest fan of dubbing and over localization. I wanted to be able to read, write, and understand what was being said. I bought several reference guide books and even purchased the My Japanese Coach for the Nintendo DS system. Now, I've only been studying for a few years, and I would hardly claim to be an expert. I'm still learning, as well. I felt it was about time to review what I've been studying, but rather than do it in private. Sharing these lessons with the Anime Vice users could help bring us together and make it a stronger online community.

This is only the introduction post for the lessons. I will be anchoring this post in the General Discussion thread of the forums for easy access and reference for all users, new and old. Lessons shall be attached to this posting as new sections are covered in the future, and will be posted in my blog once or twice a week (schedule allowing). Mind you, I'm not staff but just a moderator for the site. I will try to be as regular as I can with these.

Please be sure to show your support for this project by commenting. First lesson soon to follow.

Lessons 1- Basics Kana

Printable Blank Kana Test Sheet: HERE

Hiragana (平仮名 / ひらがな):

Printable Hiragana Test Sheet: HERE

Katakana (片仮名 / かたかな):

Printable Katakana Test Sheet: HERE

Lessons 2- Names

-Kristoffer Remmell ( FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.-

Follow on Twitter for lesson updates: @ animevice / @ FoxxFireArt

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Sounds like a great idea, FoxxFireArt. I would love to give it a try one of these days.
Post by Shiroke (42 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I'm for it! 
Been meaning to getting on the path to learning this for a while now.
Post by bretthancock (4 posts) See mini bio Level 6
 Long time user of Giant Bomb, Screened and Tested but this is my first exposure to Anime Vice (not really into the subject matter).  I just started trying to learn Japanese a few days ago, this is a great idea and I'll definitely check these out as you put them up!
Post by supermike6 (16 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I've been learning for the past few months; only problem is I know all of hiragana, basic sentence structure, a bunch a random vocab, and some Kanji, but I still barely know anything about katakana. I just haven't got around to memorizing it yet.....
Post by sotyfan16 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Watashi wa sotyfan16 desu. In my Japanese intro class we learned simple sentence structure, how to tell time and date, and count. That was a year ago and I haven't had the time to pick up learning more. Writing the kanji takes time and practice so I prefer writing Japanese in word form. What I'm wanting to do is get the Rosetta Stone but that's a lot of cash that I don't have. I like your finished self-image FoxxFireArt.

@ShadowKnight508: @Shiroke: 

UPDATE!!

Check again, everyone! The first lesson is up.

I didn't want to wait a week for the first lesson. I thought best get it out of the way quick to give people a taste. 

@bretthancock:
You are certainly welcome to join in the classes. I hope to do the lessons at least one a week. Maybe more if users seem to enjoy them and post comments to show support and get involved.

@supermike6:
It is odd how Katakana can be tricky, considering that's used for English and other foreign words. Several of them are written almost the same way and can be hard to distinguish from each other, such as shi and tsu.

@sotyfan16:
That is rather formal way of introducing yourself, but it is the proper way. 
Look into the DS game My Japanese Coach.
Post by deyanne (2 posts) See mini bio Level 5
sounds awesome man , I've been wanting to learn Japanese for a while now so i'll definitely try these out 
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
:)
Post by adoggz (210 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I wish you luck FireFoxArt sensei. Teaching japaneese seems like it would be hard.
Post by CapeBarnes (492 posts) See mini bio Level 18
To think that I wasted how many years NOT learning the language. I would take a course at my school, but it's an off-campus class that's too far out of my way (I hate that concept). So I guess this would be my next best choice (and/or going to the cultural center which I think is by Kinokuniya in San Jose). 

So, learning from here, I'm in!
Post by blaakmawf (59 posts) See mini bio Level 5
This is effin' great dude.
Post by nVision (114 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Awesome stuff. I tried learning a bit of Japanese a few months ago but real life stuff smothered my time and effort. Hoping I can take another wack at it with this. 

Going forward are you planning on delving into stuff like Kanji and syntax?
Lesson 2 is live.
Post by KerlyFries (5 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Ohh I love this idea!! I've been meaning to learn Japanese but I just never knew where to begin. This'll definately help me out. Great idea and thankyou!
Post by Jemenez (21 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Are you going to get into Grammar and more advanced things about the japanese language?
@Jemenez: 
Yes, I just need to get some basics out of the way first.
Post by JoMate (32 posts) See mini bio Level 7
man I really like this and want to learn, but my japanase vocubulary is still close to nothing so does anyone here have a nice site where I can find some basic words to learn?
Post by Jinbeifan1 (3,134 posts) See mini bio Level 14

cool im gonna check it out
@jomate: 
I am going to be covering words, but first I need to get how to spell those words out of the way first. You learn your alphabet before you can spell words, right?
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel