Anime Vice 2013's Top Reviewers

Topic started by takashichea on Jan. 7, 2014. Last post by Dream 4 months ago.
Post by takashichea (13,205 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Welcome everyone! We had a voting thread just like for the Battlation ones, but this one was for reviewers. I wanted to promote the reviewers in our community. We have a small group of reviewers. With the Wiki Editing and Battle Community being so predominant, I don't want this community to lose its reviewers. Get out there and review anime and manga! Since we had only one person voted, I'm going to spotlight 4 top reviewers in our community who did a stellar job from 2013. Please give them a round of applause.

Dream

Dream is one of our oldest users in the community. He's from New York, USA. He has written 94 reviews so far. Out of the 94 reviews, he has written 10 reviews in 2013. His review style is more of an analyst. He breaks things such as the characters, plot, animation, and other parts. He may not explore everything about the anime in his review. Rather, he features key parts of the anime that will make it and break it. Also, Dream likes to bring to the table, industry or notable news events such as crimes of pedophilia in one of his Ani Crap reviews.

In addition to be a reviewer, Dream is an avid user in the battle threads, and he started a community project called the Ani-crap where he reviews terrible anime. His recent one is Ani-Crap Review #33: Kodomo no Jikan. Every week, he puts out a poll for the community to pick which crappy anime titles to pick. He is one his 34th poll right now. Please visit that poll and vote! His first article that was posted on the front page was one of Takashichea's cultural interviews, AV MOD MATERIAL: The Anime Fan's Experience in the US, Part 1, where he and DBZ Universe share their experiences with anime culture in their home countries. He is a big wiki editor who specializes in character pages.

2013 Reviews

1. Twilight of the Cockroaches -
  2. Madlax -
  3. Shangri La -
  4. Btooom -
  5. Yu Yu Hakusho -
  6. Moonlight Mile -
  7. Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto -
  8. Future Diary -
  9. Flowers of Evil -
  10. Hakkenden -

His best anime that he reviewed is Flowers of Evil, A controversial psychological drama that won't be for everyone., with a five star rating. His worst anime that he reviewed is Future Diary, A nice example of a train wreck anime with a lot of hype., with a 2 star rating.

For a full list of his reviews, visit his profile page's reviews.

ElfenLied1012

ElfenLied1012 is one of most proactive user in our community. His account is actually hosted to two folks: male and female. The male counterpart is currently making reviews while the female counterpart (she's from Russia) is on hiatus. To make this less confusing, I'm going to refer ElfenLied1012 as "he." His review style is more interpersonal. He greets you and talks about the show like a guide giving an anime a tour. In addition to his interpersonal reviews, he's a completionist because he will go over everything: animation, characters, music, etc. He's worry that he will bore his readers with his long analytical reviews. In addition to being a reviewer, ElfenLied1012 has a community project: the podcast. The most recent one is the M-Cast Episode 5: The Shaftcast. He has a crew who hosts talks on various anime series and trends in the industry. He does frequent the wiki editing business. He tackles the anime series pages.

2013 Reviews

1. Planetes -
  2. Attack on Titan -
  3. Kakurenbo: Hide and Seek -
  4. IGPX -
  5. Mass Effect: Paragon -
  6. Oreimo (ONA) -
  7. Oreimo -

ElfenLied1012 has written 76 reviews, and for 2013, he has written 7. His best anime series that he reviewed was Attack on Titan and Kakurenbo: Hide and Seek. He doesn't have a worst anime reviewed. Why? ElfenLied1012 is a big softy!

For a full list of his reviews, visit his profile page's reviews.

Katmic

Katmic is our new user who has a blog outside of Anime Vice. His review style is like a story teller. He tells his experiences of watching the show. His reviews are fairly short and hit the usual key parts: plot and characters. He gets deeply involved with the character elements in the majority of his reviews. When he encounters good anime and manga, he praises the show with a lot of passion. In addition to being a reviewer, Katmic does visit the battle threads occasionally. His first article that was posted on the front page was one of my cultural interviews: AV MOD MATERIAL: The Anime Fan's Experience in Africa. He's a native to Uganda, and he brought a unique experience to our community as he shares how he embrace the anime culture in Africa.

2013 Reviews

1. Natsuyuki Rendezvous -
  2. Devil is a Part Timer -
  3. Break Blade -
  4. Umineko no Naku Koro Ni -
  5. Shiki -
  6. Katanagartari -
  7. Valkyria Chronicles -
  8. Robotics;Notes -
  9. Gamaran -
  10. Jormungand -
  11. Btooom! -
  12. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure -
  13. Zetsuen no Tempest -
  14. Fairy Tail -
  15. Kokoro Connect -

Katmic has written 15 reviews, and all of them were in 2013. His best shows are Valkyria Chronicles, Katanagatari, and Shiki. His worst show he reviewed is Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

For Katmic's full list of reviews, please visit his profile's review page.

Snowymountain

Snowymountain is a Screened native who loves anime. He is a quiet person who only does reviews for Anime Vice. In Screened, he's a different beast. He works on the wiki pages and frequently contributes to the discussion in Screened's forums. For his review style in Anime Vice, he's blunt and not afraid to point the flaws in a manga or anime series. He's a harsh critic who writes brief reviews with an indepth literary analysis of key concepts of the franchise while comparing it to literary works and movies.

2013 Reviews

1. O Parts Hunter -
  2. Zombie Powder -
  3. Eyeshield 21 -
  4. Avatar: The Last Airbender -
  5. Iron Man -
  6. Guvyer: Dark Hero -
  7. The Last Airbender -
  8. The Guyver -
  9. Firefighter! Daigo of Company M -
  10. Tiger & Bunny -
  11. Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo -
  12. Teen Titans -
  13. Batman: Gotham Knight -
  14. Claymore -
  15. Soul Eater Not! -
  16. Ai Yori Aoshi -
  17. Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President -
  18. Negima! -

Snowymountain's worse anime/manga review was O-Parts Hunter while the best anime series reviewed was Tiger & Bunny. He has written 19 reviews so far, and all of them were in 2013. (I omitted Ben 10 since that's for Screened).

For a full list of his reviews, visit his profile's review page.

Thank you everyone for reading!

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Ha, worst shows. We'll I was going to post a blog about how I think Kill la kill is a crock of shit, but I figured it was a bad year to get lynched. I got a few more reviews coming up for Kill la kill, golden time, mental choices, and coppelion (which is also shit) Also Episode 6 of the M-Cast was recorded, but was considered so offensive we canned the whole project XD

Thanks for the support man, you're the best!

Post by Acura_Max (2,380 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Great idea to spotlight the reviewers on this site. Like the banner by the way.

@Elfenlied1012: Oh snap! Somebody just opened a can of controversy. Better get to my bomb shelter before the fireworks come. =P

@Acura_Max: I want to one day when I decide this sites had enough of my bullsh#t just post a list of all my controversy opinions with no explanation and peace out forever, just leave a horribly violent sh#t storm in my wake. But I think all of you are way too awesome to ever fall for that.

Except for you dream, I love future dairies so you can go fu- nah I actually love dream I mean I follow him for gods sake. Good work man you deserve to be number one. As for everyone else including me we need to get are act together, getting shown up by this future dairy hating hack.

Post by snowymountain (7 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Wow. It's an honor to be recognized like this. I'm afraid that I've been concentrating on my Screened reviews and stuff and haven't really being keeping up with Anime Vice. Your Blog however reminded me and hopefully, I'll have a few reviews up and posted for Anime Vice soon too. It's always nice to be appreciated and acknowledged for our work.

Post by bigz007 (1,104 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Awesome work Taka, like always. Those guys deserve the attention.

Thanks bigz007

Post by taichokage (14,216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Nice. Maybe this is better. But I wonder why this thread has already has had much more attention in a few hours than the last one did in a month.
Post by Dream (7,903 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Likely because Taka got too busy to promote it dealing with posting stuff for upcoming new anime for the Winter 2014 season and the User Reviews having little notice from many folks since the site hasn't promoted efforts for them as much as anything for the wiki, blogs or forums.

Post by taichokage (14,216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Yeah. That voter was me. I voted for you Dream but nobody else participated. I tried advertising it in my status for about a week but nobody seemed to take notice. It was between you, Elfenlied1012, and Katmic for me. I'm glad snowymountain was recognized too though. I didn't realize he had reviewed so much last year.

@taichokage: I'll accept losing to dream, not a bad lose. I've got like 5 different things I should review I've just been lazy where dream has been stepping up his game like crazy lately. Good on him.

I also think it's a bit of luck that this got more notice than the competition. I didn't even notice there was a review competition before I lost it by one vote, which was the only vote, but it was one vote still XD I haven't read much from snowymountain, but where our reviews fall I think we service different subgroups of the same community which is great. Good on you Katmic I'm sorry I'm an asshole and have never read your reviews > .<

Post by bigz007 (1,104 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@taichokage: To be honest, I didn't even saw that thread. I saw it today when it was already locked. Someone should have bumped it...

Online Now

I'm glad to support everyone!

@Dream:

Yeah, I'll figure out a way to start promoting the reviews. I'm open to any ideas. Don't worry Dream.

@Elfenlied1012:

I need to finish your podcasts. I'm promoted your podcast and Dream's ani-crap reviews.

@Acura_Max:

Thanks, I wasn't that good at making banners. When I was making the review stars, the stars became the theme for the banner.

@taichokage:

It's okay! I did appreciate your vote. I couldn't make the thread all about Dream. It wouldn't be fair.

@bigz007:

Oh, I actually pinned the article a month ago. Like Dream said, I was too busy with the winter 2014 guide. Sorry about that. I should have bumped it.

@takashichea: Well you are more than welcome to. i know I think they're funny but somewhat terrible I especially love the first one. XD podcast Number six I was given a edited super offensive copy for my birthday edited specifically with me in mind, I mused at uploading it, but I think it might cross a few lines. XD

As for it, yeah you were busy man I getcha, you already work super hard on here so I completely understand.

@takashichea: Talk to FireFoxxArt about incorporating user reviews with the Community Spotlight articles he posts every week.

@Dream: I thought he already did?

@Elfenlied1012: He never did. And after digging through the site, it looks like no Community Spotlight articles have been done since the end of November.

@Dream: well...that's unfortunate.

Online Now

@Dream: @Elfenlied1012:

I make the wiki reports. I do have a list of all FoxxFireArt's spotlights. I'll talk to him when I send the usual wiki report.

Plus, does another thing that promotes reviews, the user highlights page. It's on the front page of Anime Vice. Here's the link. I'll promote reviews on my Twitter account, too.

Post by katmic (421 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Elfenlied1012: I guess that makes me an ass for not having read your reviews either. But now that i know they are there i will give them a look, expecting some interesting stuff. Somewhat agree with you on Kill la kill. We should collaborate on a post about why we think the show is so bad (though am still in the 'might be bad its good' camp).

Glad to learn about other people that enjoy writing about anime they love and hate as much as i do.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel