Anime to watch

Topic started by NoDeath on Dec. 22, 2008. Last post by DocHaus 5 years, 9 months ago.
Post by NoDeath (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6
FMA - last 15 or so episodes
Hellsing - all
GTO - watched the first 3 epi seems interesting though onizuka gets on my nerves sometimes
melencholy of haruhi suzimaya - all (I haven't seen it yet, so sue me)
Code Geass - watched first episode, it intuigues me
Neon Genesis Evangelion - heard its good
Gurren Lagann - seems fun
chobits - watched first 3 episodes. The landlady scares me
Post by milsvaard (6 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Evangelion is ok but the story is weird.
Ill check out Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, Ive never heard of them before.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Your list of anime to watch is awesome. It's practically my list of favorites right there (along with really awesome series that I enjoyed thoroughly but not necessarily my favorite). Though I don't like Chobits but the rest of the series you're watching is made of awesome-sauce.

Stuff for me to watch:
Clannad: After Story (already 8 episodes in so might as well keep going)
Macross Frontier
Air Gear
Kurenai
Tales of the Abyss
Kuroshitsuji
Cowboy Bebop (I watched one episode when I was thirteen and didn't like it so I should give it another chance now that I am older and more seasoned in anime)
Post by yorro (41 posts) See mini bio Level 4
milsvaard said:
Blasphemy!
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
yorro said:
"milsvaard said:
Blasphemy!"
i must admit i have never heard of Gurren Lagaan . i do know code Geass though.

for me i have a ton on my to watch list

Full Metal Alchemist
Hellsing Ultimate
Code Geass
Witchblade
Deathnote
Trinity Blood
Elfen Lied

to name a few

Post by Death_Flame (318 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Hmmm I'll list some of my favorites:

Rurouni Kenshin

Deathnote
Inuyasha
(sometimes i wonder if it will ever end!!)
Dragon Ball Z
.hack//sign
Cowboy Bebop
(All time Favorite)
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Inuyasha is over o__o
Post by maxwell (90 posts) See mini bio Level 6
planning on checking out Melody of Oblivion, Rurouni Kenshin and old eps of Galaxy Express 999 and Yamato over break.

man, is Hellsing good? thinking of scopin' that too...
Post by yorro (41 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Lemegeton300 said:
"yorro said:
"milsvaard said:
Blasphemy!"
i must admit i have never heard of Gurren Lagaan . i do know code Geass though.

for me i have a ton on my to watch list

Full Metal Alchemist
Hellsing Ultimate
Code Geass
Witchblade
Deathnote
Trinity Blood
Elfen Lied

to name a few

"

Let me give you a wall of text about TTGL, it's something of a review I am currently working on.

Short

I recommend you watch the first 3 episodes on youtube.

Long

Every once in a while a series comes along that, for lack of a better word, owns the competition. Ladies and gentlemen that series is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, do not let the lengthy name intimidate you or the seemingly cartoonish style put you off because this show is worth it and you'd sorely regret not experiencing this gem of a series. In a world where the majority considers mediocre shows such as Naruto to be masterpieces, we often overlook shows that so sorely deserve our attention and they end up just passing us by. I'm writing this review in hopes it will divert your attention away from shouting bankai as you imitate Ichigo and open your eyes to this series.

Gurren Lagann is an epic story, because the narrative actually is the layout of classic epic poetry. A vast limitless setting to journey across, passionate speeches, and heroes that embody the hopes and dreams of entire civilizations. It is a tried-and-true formula that Lagann follows to the letter. This is especially enjoyable for people such as myself, who need more... much much more, to even consider watching a "mecha" anime.

The story for Gurren Lagann seems very modest at first glance. That's very misleading though, as it eventually becomes quite grand and all-encompassing. 

To put Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, TTGL, into words, is not really possible. It's an emotion - the emotion of stereotypical "Manliness", yet raised to such heights it loses any connotations to gender, the patriarchy or anything like that - a Platonic Manliness, a moral ideal of determination and conviction that does not stop, even when facing immeasurable odds, and does not despair even when faced with the truth of victory - that victory is not a finality, that more problems will come up, and that things are lost. That heroes are not eternal. That there is often no "Right" or "Wrong" when facing the larger questions of life - that each choice demands a sacrifice or holds a challenge to overcome.

I really loved this series, I would call it a "mecha done right" where it has a light hearted feel though there are plenty of deep moments. if you love mecha, or sci-fi, or action anime in general, then this will definitely be an enjoyable experience, Even if you dont like mecha, like me, there is still a good chance you will love Gurren Lagann, so I recommend everyone give it a try.

Post by Champy (121 posts) See mini bio Level 5
NoDeath said:
"FMA - last 15 or so episodes
Hellsing - all
GTO - watched the first 3 epi seems interesting though onizuka gets on my nerves sometimes
melencholy of haruhi suzimaya - all (I haven't seen it yet, so sue me)
Code Geass - watched first episode, it intuigues me
Neon Genesis Evangelion - heard its good
Gurren Lagann - seems fun
chobits - watched first 3 episodes. The landlady scares me"
love hina, lucky star, bleach? i dont know. but lucky star.
Post by DocHaus (933 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Stay away from Evangelion if you value your sanity. Trust me on this one.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel