ANIME REVIEW: ROBOTIC NOTES

Topic started by katmic on March 18, 2013. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 4 months ago.
Post by katmic (306 posts) See mini bio Level 10

It is funny that robotic notes is rated as a sci-fi, romance thriller, but to me it is more of a slice of life kind of series. I can’t say that is a turn off, though I haven’t watched that many slice of life series in my life, so I might not really know what I am talking about

THE PLOT:>

Kaito and Akiho are members of the robotics club at Chuuoutanegashima High School, in the year 2019, when robotic technology has evolved to advanced levels.

Akiho is the fiery energetic, easily excitable president of the robotics club, at a point in time where the club is on its last legs. Akiho’s love of robotics is only matched by her obsession for the anime series Gunvarrel, that chronicles the life of heroes piloting the legendary mecha Gunvarrel in their efforts to protect man kind.

It is one of Akiho’s idiosyncrasies to scream and shout Gunvarrel catch phrases and attacks at times of high excitement and exhilaration. Ever since the robotics club was founded, by Akiho’s sister Misa, it has confined itself to low level projects, revolving around constructing little foot sized robots to execute average tasks and eve take part in battle tournaments, nothing new in a world of highly advanced robotics and AI technology.

But Akiho has an ambition. a great goal, to fulfill Misa’s childhood dream in founding the robotics club years ago when she was at high school, to construct a real life model of the Gunvarrel robot from the series; in other words, a real life, 20 meter tall, pilotable mecha.

This is a task easier said than done as the robotics club is barely operational. With only two members, kaito barely participating and only on Akiho’s pleading, Akiho hasn’t been able to secure funding for the robotics club from the school for the past several years,and in front of her eyes, her sisters long standing project is in danger of staling.

But Akiho isn’t ready to throw in the towel. Along with kaito, subaru, juuna and even Frau, Akiho is determined to see her and her sister’s dream fulfilled. Along the way, we discover a little more about the senomiya (Akiho and Misa) family and the events of the past that endowed/cursed kaito and Akiho with their strange ailments.

Several mysteries litter the series. Frau, the enigmatic creator of the popular combat game that fills Kaito’s waking days and nights, has come to the island to find answers to the events surrounding her mom’s death and their link to the long lost and rumored final episode of the Gunvarrel series that never aired.

Then there is kaito’s discovery of the Airu AI interface, holding great secrets regarding the mysterious Kijima Kou and his reports regarding the aurora that has been cast over Japan’s skies for the past seven years, the council of 300 and the possible apocalyptic future the world may be facing and which the government might be hiding.

IN the midst of all that is the relationship between Misa and Akiho, and Misa and Kaito, and the events that separated them so many years ago, and which might be connected to Misa’s new job at exoskeleton and the work she and her boss might be working on.

THE REVIEW:>

I really don’t see the thriller elements in robotic notes, or rather while they are there, they are less than prominent, so much so that they are no more than background noise.

Robotic notes is for the most part normal life with a touch of Sci-Fi. The general theme of the show can be described as ‘What would happen if you tried to build a giant robot?"’ and that is for all intent and purpose what it was all about.

Akiho wants to build a giant robot but even with all the plans laid out, and the robotic club members’ relatively impressive engineering skills, it isn’t as easy as they hoped it to be.

Akiho faces difficulties and challenges, all of which she meets with gusto and energy, unwilling to accept defeat no matter the barriers involved. All those around her are dragged into her efforts to fulfill her sister’s dreams, and will usually suffer for it, especially her father, head of a successful aeronautics company, that will struggle to say no to her daughter's request for manpower and technology, and will usually resort to calling her mother, who will chastise Akiho for trying to take advantage of her poor father.

Underneath her energy is a girl that is haunted by her obsession to meet and even surpass her sister’s expectations of her.

I find kaito somewhat annoying for a primary character. He is completely…lethargic in the manner in which he tackles life. He shows absolutely no interest in anything at all. I want my protagonist to seek out the answers and search for truths; Kaito will find intriguing mysteries, and he will choose to ignore them.

Basically we the audience see an interesting path, we want to go down it; but Kaito won’t go down it, and instead chooses to retreat. it is somewhat infuriating; he just doesn’t want to know.

He will break this mold on occasion. Kaito is only in the robotics club because Misa, Akiho’s sister, assigned him to take care of her when she left for Tokyo. On occasion, he will go above and beyond for Akiho, to see the barriers facing her in building the mech destroyed, but never really letting her know.

In a way Kaito is intriguing, in that he will never take the effort to help anyone unless they beat him in Kill ballad, probably in memory of the days and nights he and Misa spent gaming, during which she would trounce him. Kaito’s principle gets him out of work because he is simply too good a player.

kaito takes an ambivalent approach to the Kijima Kou reports, reporting the end of the world; he doesn’t really want to know most times, but once in a while he will take a distinct interest, usually when the reports affect a certain event in the life of his acquaintances .

This series is meant to be a Sci-Fi thriller, but spends more time scattering seeds of mystery regarding murders, the future, conspiracies and the like rather than actually answering them.

IN other words, we get hints but never anything really concrete to follow. Now whether that changes beyond the 11 episodes I have watched remains to be seen. But if it wasn’t for the interesting characters, plots and drama, I would be put off by this show, which describes its self as one thing, but never really does what it set out to do.

Granted the mysteries can be intriguing, when first hinted at, but after a while I cease to care, especially the business with Misa, because the series takes too long to deal with things. It keeps playing with but never gets down to peeling away the layers of its concepts and revealing the core of the story.

None the less it is a good show, though if the side stories of the robotics club lose their flavor, the show will definitely start to suck.

I will the say that the best character of the show hands down and one of the reasons I watched it through is Frau Koujiro. She is crazy as she is kooky with her ridiculous out bursts and nutty rants. I could watch her all day, especially her interactions with Juuna, the timid, anxious karate student, and kaito with his straight forward responses to her madness.

Frau is an absolute joy to watch.

VERDICT—I definitely recommend this show, for the time being, for any otaku of any interests. It is fun as it is poignant in its exploration of the dramatic results advanced technology can have on humanity.

RATING:> 4/5, though this might change as the series progresses.

Robotic notes is a Japanese visual novel developed and published by 5pb, a Japanese video game manufacturer and record label for video game and anime music; known notably for games like Chaos;head and Steins;gate.

The anime has been licensed by Funimation in North America, has 22 episodes and is currently on going.

Post by takashichea (10,869 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I never knew you're a fan of Robotics;Notes. Though, it's a bit early to review it. I guess you wanted to be the first one. I'm just kidding with you.

Three of the main reasons that people get put off by Robotics;Notes is its slow, slice of life like beginning, Kaito's character, and its misleading tagline. Before Robotics;Notes was announced for the fall 2010, its plot was about a club building a giant robot. Nothing was mentioned about uncovering a conspiracy. The purpose for that is to give subtle hints until something it shocks the viewers. Its slow beginning is a test of patience. It feels like nothing is making progress, but as you keep watching, things progress quickly and boom. It builds up the tension. It's not like Steins;Gates which immediately hooks you in the first episode like my teammate Acura Max stated in the Robotics;Notes Discussion.

Now for Kaito, he serves as a foil to Akiho. Yeah, he's boring, but he shines later on when Akiho finds herself lost. The two characters balance and support each other. I do admit I watch the show for Frau. She was the most comedic character for me. Her strange taste in loli and yaoi was amusing.

Oh, is the image posting working for you because all those images except for the one with the subs are already present in the wiki gallery we have. They are fairly good quality.

Edit:

I hope you do check out the Beginner's Guide to Robotics;Notes that Acura Max and I co-written.

@takashichea: The images post fine. I only discovered robotic notes a month ago, though i think i will stick to it. It works for me as a futuristic slice of life series. But i do get impatient when the series looks like it might be ready to pick up, but then kaito just chooses to ignore some clue because he isn't interested. I reviewed it so early because i actually fear that it might not go anywhere. With what i have seen so far, i feel that there is a chance it might get worse, or stagnate, so i thought i would review it while i had good things to say about it. i found a robotic notes discussion page earlier today but it was locked, i am assuming it is because of a few contributers to the discussion. I will check out the guide, there are a couple things that didn't make sense.

Online Now

@katmic:

Yeah, Daniel Newton closed this, so we have more conformity in the discussion threads because I was the one who started up a slew of discussion threads to give life to the forums. I used to do weekly reviews for new series, but when I took up 3 or 4 series with school, work, and wiki, it became hard to balance. I was behind in weekly reports all the time. I thought discussion threads was a better idea because everyone is at their own pacing in the show. It doesn't intimidate or rush fans.

The downside was the community because it's so passive and slow. I mean no offense to the folks but they're more interested in battles than discussing new and old anime series. It's a bit sad. You can find all the discussion threads located at #Anime Vice Discussion Threads. I usually post discussion threads in the wiki pages so it will be easier to find it, but Daniel proposed to put it all in one place and have a hub thread anchored on the front forum page.

I admire your tenacity to keep up the weekly Fairy Tail manga discussion which reminds me to comment in that one as well.

Like you, I thought Robotics;Note didn't get much attention in this community. I think it receive 0 votes for anime of 2013 (see Top 20 Anime of 2012! - - THE VICE PIT) in our community. That's why Acura Max and I wrote the Beginner Guide to get people to try the show and to get folks who dropped the show due to being slow to watch it again.

Edit:

Those weekly reports started in Oct. 2011 and ended in August 2012. It was a good run. You probably saw my weekly Fairy Tail anime reviews in the forums. I missed doing them, but I believed the discussion thread had a better chance to get more folks to be engaged.

@takashichea: I just noticed that, every time i look through the forum page, it is battle threads that have any life, and there is almost no anime/manga related discussions. It is strange.

Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@takashichea: If you check the spreadsheet in the comments section of that article, Robotics;Notes surprisingly got two votes.

@katmic: Screened is pretty similar to AnimeVice in regards to discussion. If you check out the site, comments only happen every few hours. I think the reason people don't use the discussion forum is because they haven't caught up with the material; so they can't discuss. Either that or they have nothing to discuss about. Battles are easier to get into since everyone pretty has watched the series and know the characters in the battles. That's pretty much why there are alot of DBZ characters; almost everyone has seen DBZ or knows about it.

Online Now

@Acura_Max:

Oh yeah, I'm so stupid. I forgot that I changed my vote at the last second. I PM sickVisionz to switch my vote for Fairy Tail to Robotics;Notes because I felt Fairy Tail was too overrated and gained a lot of attention enough to support itself. I can't believe I forgot your vote for the series. What a bad teammate I have been.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel