ANIME OR TV, WHICH IS BETTER, WHAT IF YOU COULD ONLY WATCH ONE

Topic started by katmic on March 31, 2013. Last post by parasyteFMA 1 year, 3 months ago.
Post by katmic (295 posts) See mini bio Level 10

This is one conflict that is rarely spoken of as these two mediums rarely have to contend with each other. But it is an interesting question. Which one of these is superior. Which form of entertainment does it better than the other? More importantly, if you could only have one and drop the other, FOREVER, which would it be?

Even as an anime fan, it is a hard question. At a glance i will say that i love anime more than TV. But there have been times where i have felt like i have simply had enough of anime, like i was saturated with the virtual world, and i needed to have a little bit of live action. It is a rare phenomenon, usually occurring after i get my hands on an extremely enticing batch of anime, at which point i end up spending every entertainment related minute watching anime.

The opposite has happened as well, where i feel that i have had enough of live action, and that drowning my self in anime would do me some good.

Technically, it isn’t hard to see where TV fails. Anime has more time to tell a story. A TV program will ran 4-6 months of a year, with several breaks in between. Most times you will get the same episode airing for over three weeks (which is why i stick to DVDs). Some anime will ran all through the year, from January to January. Basically you could say that as a result anime has the better stories. It can take as much time as it wants setting up its world and concepts. TV needs to get to the point as quickly as possible otherwise it risks getting axed.

I am just thinking of all those ten episode TV shows. I am sure they are doing the best they can, but most times, it is easy to see how they cut corners, to fit as much story as possible into as little space as they can before their allotted number of episodes for that year runs out. Anime sometimes feels like it can go for as long as it needs to be (so long as there is an audience) to get its point across. If Naruto was a TV series, Naruto would have been hokage in 60 episodes. Same thing goes for one piece; we would have known what the one piece was within a space of three or four years, and while they would have done the best they could to make the story good, it would have lacked all the back story and character development that makes these two series so good.

Speaking of which, ratings is another issue. I don’t think that anime doesn’t have to deal with ratings the way TV does. I am sure ratings matter to anime producers. But they don’t command the same power that TV does. from what i have seen, in most cases an anime will continue production so long as it has a considerable audience. It doesn’t have to be high, it doesn’t even have to be average; they can even tolerate slightly below average; the point is if there is a few thousand people out there that watch an anime, we shall see more of it.

With TV, i am thinking of fringe whose ratings stood at a steady 2M-3M between its third and fifth season. And it was from the third season that they began to speak of cancellation; at 2M, that could be called average, but Fringe was considered to have low ratings.

it takes a lot more than such fickle numbers to bring an anime down. As such anime doesn’t and hasn’t sacrificed quality for ratings the way TV has. Right now i am thinking some really good shows like THE EVENT and FIREFLY that where cancelled just as they got good. If this was anime, we could expect an episode 200 of these shows.

If i look at it logically, anime is clearly the better medium. The stories are unique and mind blowing and the character development is amazing (in most cases).

But what would you choose, if you could only watch anime or TV but not both? Which would you choose?

Post by MarioRedfield (1,728 posts) See mini bio Level 11

TV

Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I'm going to change this to TV anime series vs live-action TV series. I'd probably go with TV. Outside of 2 or 3 titles, I'd miss not having seen my favorite tv series noticeably more than not having seen my favorite anime series. Going genre by genre, I think TV is just better overall.

HBO, BBC, and AMC. Three networks that pretty much juggernaut over most anime in similar genres.

@katmic:

Right now i am thinking some really good shows like THE EVENT...

Watch more TV man. You haven't seen enough television if you're labeling that as a really good show.

If this was anime, we could expect an episode 200 of these shows.

I think that's a bunk argument that isn't really based off any reality of anime or TV. Most anime series are 13 episodes these days, which is about the same length as a TV season. Your 200 episode series is exceedingly rare (hell, your 24-26 episode series is exceedingly rare) and basically reserved for shows aimed at kids aged 4-13.

Speaking of which, ratings is another issue. I don’t think that anime doesn’t have to deal with ratings the way TV does. I am sure ratings matter to anime producers. But they don’t command the same power that TV does. from what i have seen, in most cases an anime will continue production so long as it has a considerable audience.

Ratings don't because most anime actually buys its time slot. What does matter is sales of DVD/BD which might as well as be ratings. You're not going to see a commercial failure running for multiple seasons. Anime doesn't give a crap about having a "considerable audience". It wants a considerable customer base just like a regular TV show. The only difference between that and how US TV shows work is that an anime series is made all at once and pays to air, so you won't see midseason cancellations happening.

You talk about character development of stuff like Naruto and One Piece, but to be honest I think there's more growth and development taking place in the 4-7 seasons of the Mad Men, Sopranos, and Breaking Bad than the endless episodes of stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece and I don't think anyone would look at those TV series and say they are rushing or cutting corners. That whole argument is just a terrible one imo. Those shonen series are the totally opposite of great character development. Despite almost anything that they go through, these characters remain the same because their series is a money train for everyone and they're spinning in the mud and dragging things out for as long as possible. And it's not dragging out to give you more depth and development, it's just dragging for time. Despite damn near 600 episodes and multiple deaths in the family, nobody in Naruto has changed and grown as much over their series as say, Jesse or Walt from Breaking Bad or any countless TV shows that actually have story arcs that impact the characters.

Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13

You make anime sound like it's the easiest thing to produce, but that is the farthest thing from the truth. Both anime and TV have their pluses and minuses. In fact, producing anime can be a frustrating business, whether it be conflicts between the original creator and publishing company or scheduling conflicts.

Please read these anime new network articles for more information:

@sickVisionz: I do label the event as a good show, i have never been a fan of breaking bad, mad men or the sopranos

@Acura_Max: that was educational, and worrying if i ever decide to make an anime

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

As much as I love anime, if I could only have one I'd have TV. There's something about anime, whether it's the 20ish minute episode length, ease of access (Crunchyroll, etc.), or sheer volume of shows available (or all of these things) that makes it easy to check out a bunch of shows at a time and blast through them without feeling too committed. As for TV, I only watch shows I really enjoy and get into. I feel like digging into a TV show is somehow a bigger investment than checking an anime series out.

I think where I'm going with this is that a TV series feels like a bigger deal than an anime series, for the most part. So I'd stick with TV shows.

That reminds me, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are both on tonight, sweet!

Post by Bigheart711 (3,663 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

I love anime, but in this case, I would go for TV as well, but I also would only go for TV shows that I'm into.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,385 posts) See mini bio Level 17

TV since I still have mangas ^_^

Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@katmic said:

@sickVisionz: i have never been a fan of breaking bad, mad men or the sopranos

Post by cynically_happy (115 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I'd go with TV, but I'm curious. Where do non-Japanese cartoons fall on this? Because I watch Archer pretty regularly, and given your broad terms I'm not sure what it would count as given it's animated nature.

@cynically_happy: series like archer don't count because they are more or less TV series but animated. shows like young justice would make more sense to compare with TV.

Post by Kobra678 (2,748 posts) See mini bio Level 14

More tv shows nowadays aren't even remotely good.

Post by parasyteFMA (113 posts) See mini bio Level 10

If it wasn't for Breaking Bad, professional wrestling, or Spongebob, I would choose anime. I have to go with TV.

@parasyteFMA: Tho WWE is not the same way it was. WWE PG in not that entertaining.

@DBZ_universe: I don't mind a PG product, but they could do it in a way that appeals to adults and kids without being too inappropriate for kids. They could also stop recapping the previous segment 5 times over, and actually put some wrestling on.

Monday Night Raw just went to 3 hours long a while ago. With the current way they present the show, it makes it such a drag. I just want more wrestling, better storylines, and better booking of matches. Not "CENA WINS LOL" with every damn match he's in. John Cena can wrestle when he wants to. Of course, you can't have five star matches every week, but it would help if he mixed things up a bit.

The way the show is presented, the length, and the fact that Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus are still on the roster are my only complaints about WWE. Dolph Ziggler has the WHC, Ryback went heel on Cena's ass last Monday, and the Bella Twins are back. I'm pretty content with WWE at the moment.

*END RANT*

Sorry. Professional wrestling is probably the thing I'm most passionate about.

@parasyteFMA: That is true! also Ziggler did a good job on cashing in the money in the bank.

Well like you said more wrestling would be awesome and hardcore matches would be better.

Hey what are your opinions on Batista being on MMA?

@DBZ_universe: I would like some hardcore matches. but not too many. The problem with hardcore matches is that once you do them to often, nothing will surprise fans. It would be best to keep those only so often. As for Batista doing MMA, I think it's a good fit for him. He was never a great working in WWE, and I always said that he would probably like real fighting more. More power to him. But if Lesnar showed us anything, it's that Batista will be back in WWE sometime in the future.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel