Anime Becoming Mainstream? Should it become Mainstream?

Topic started by AnimeDefender on Sept. 26, 2013. Last post by Bigheart711 1 year, 2 months ago.
Post by AnimeDefender (2,662 posts) See mini bio Level 12

What do you guys think?

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,231 posts) See mini bio Level 12

It never will be. I mean no offence by what am about to say. Mainstream usually means its big in America. This will never be "big" in American because you have to read subtitles. Majority of it's people don't have the attention span to do that. Or care to to do it. Why do you think they do remakes of everything? I don't want to just insult American here, so I'll start on my own country. England, animé isn't that big here neither. Although we mostly show original Japanese dub for films, mostly from what I've seen we do have the attention span to read subtitles, but it's just not "that" popular. People here are hypocrites. They berate people for watching it calling it "cartoons", then they go off and watch Family Guy or Simpsons. So there is no win-win. The mentality isn't there.

If a big studio in America took a risk to try and make it mainstream, it'll be an up hill battle. They'd have to have some gimmick I believe, if you watch it, it's "cool" to watch it. For example, I know some people that watch Big Bang Theory because many other people think it's cool. When they don't really get it. I'm not saying I get the science side myself, but I know enough to get me by.

I think I've just ranted and never made sense. I just woke from a nap. Brain is restarting.

@Supreme Marvel: So basically the ONLY way Anime could get mainstream is if a big studio in America saw the potential of Anime and make a VERY awesome series based off of Anime, then we might be able to see Anime as a mainstream thing? Sounds legit. Though should it become mainstream? I mean look what happen to us gamers with the Call of Duty Manifesto, so do you think that Anime should become mainstream?

Post by Galenbeta (3,025 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Supreme Marvel: @AnimeDefender:

Sure, anime has many U.S. fans and should be put in a better light. The problem some people have is that it's put in the same light as cartoons. But if a networks chose to put an eng dub show in the mainstream then it could be shown as to have a big difference from the regular cartoons which give people adhd

@AnimeDefender: To me, it's the only way to get it across a lot of people simultaneously. Let's just say, the reputation HBO has now. If they were to broadcast an animé, you know people will watch it. I think a good show for HBO might just be Attack on Titan. That show is addictive as hell.

To me, at this moment, it's at a good place. Mainstream could also hinder it. But that's only my opinion.

@Galenbeta: That is usually with the "older generation", I live in Ca and many older generations of people don't see anime as mature, I showed them Attack on Titan and guess what they said. "Why would people put this in a cartoon." And yet they watch Family Guy, American Dad, etc. Though with the newer generation, Anime may become mainstream. Though there's another question, should Anime become mainstream?

@Supreme Marvel: I agree somewhat. Though considering how many people like Anime now, I think there may be a good chance it could become mainstream.

Post by Galenbeta (3,025 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@AnimeDefender:

It would be a big language help for those who want to learn japanese

@Galenbeta: Not really, I mean it could help you to have some incentive to learn Japanese, but you will not learn a langauge through Anime, trust me I tried!

Post by bigz007 (1,106 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@AnimeDefender said:

@Galenbeta: Not really, I mean it could help you to have some incentive to learn Japanese, but you will not learn a langauge through Anime, trust me I tried!

Why do you think so? Just because you can't learn it that way, doesn't mean no one else can.

Post by sickVisionz (4,310 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Should is a weird thing. It will get whatever it deserves and achieve whatever status it warrants imo. I think it could become mainstream in the US. Some shows like Pokemon and DBZ already are. Really, I think it's on the bubble. SNL, 30 Rock, and other shows joke about anime fans and you can only play that for laughs when you can safely assume that the audience is aware of anime and some of its tropes and stereotypes.

@bigz007 said:

@AnimeDefender said:

Why do you think so? Just because you can't learn it that way, doesn't mean no one else can.

Learning Japanese that way is quite possibly the worst and most ineffective way of learning it. Additionally, you won't know any grammar. At best, your ability to speak the language would be like a 3 or 4 year old who just kinda throws words together with no understanding of how they should be thrown together... and even then, what you'd understand in like 3 years (and this is like studying what you're watching, not just watching it for fun) would be equal to what someone taking entry level college courses would gain in two semesters, but they'd have additional grammar and writing skills.

Trying to learn it by watching anime is like having no understanding of basic arithmetic and trying to learn math by staring at equations written by rocket scientists.

@sickVisionz said:

@bigz007 said:

@AnimeDefender said:

Learning Japanese that way is quite possibly the worst and most ineffective way of learning it. Additionally, you won't know any grammar. At best, your ability to speak the language would be like a 3 or 4 year old who just kinda throws words together with no understanding of how they should be thrown together... and even then, what you'd understand in like 3 years (and this is like studying what you're watching, not just watching it for fun) would be equal to what someone taking entry level college courses would gain in two semesters, but they'd have additional grammar and writing skills.

Trying to learn it by watching anime is like having no understanding of basic arithmetic and trying to learn math by staring at equations written by rocket scientists.

Funny thing. I learned English from movies and music, and I can communicate with people just fine.

Post by sickVisionz (4,310 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@bigz007: You learned it with absolutely no education or tutoring in the language whatsoever? Solely by watching tv shows and movies. I find that hard to believe.

@sickVisionz said:

@bigz007: You learned it with absolutely no education or tutoring in the language whatsoever? Solely by watching tv shows and movies. I find that hard to believe.

My native language is similar to three more languages, so I guess it's not a big deal for me to learn a new language.

In school I was learning German as a second language, and recently I started with Russian. Plus, I watch anime so I'm trying to learn Japanese also.

Post by ronki23 (118 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@Supreme Marvel:But couldn't you argue Pokémon was big? Same applies for Yu-Gi-Oh (though nowhere near as much as Pokémon).

When I went to USA everyone knew about Beyblades, Dragonball, Pokémon, Yu Gi Oh, etc. (though I went in 2003 after Pokémon's boom was over).

By the way, is One Piece or Naruto the most popular manga around? I've not seen either as i'm a Dragonball lover but i've seen Tenchi Muyo (the series with Tenchi). I only enjoyed Tenchi Universe and the first season of Tenchi Muyo. Tenchi Muyo season 2 and 3, and Tenchi in Tokyo were pretty boring and there was no real plot

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,386 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Don't really care if Anime become Mainstream or not

Post by GokaiRed (169 posts) See mini bio Level 7

If Rap Music is anything to go by Anime should never be mainstream :P

Post by Acura_Max (2,431 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Should anime become mainstream? I don't see why not.

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,047 posts) See mini bio Level 16

If anime becomes mainstream, Corporate America will find a way to destroy it and turn it into commercialized garbage.

But it would be great if we could be mature enough to make this so because many lesser know series are leagues better than most of the crap we have on tv now.

@ronki23: You've just named all the shows that were on Toonami in it's heyday. Pokémon got big when I was at school, and they've kept a portion of that big audience. Without no Toonami, there isn't anything to show people animé.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel