...And Don't Forget to Review!

Topic started by gia on Feb. 16, 2009. Last post by Lan 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
So, I stayed in this cute little hotel in Lahaina on Saturday night (you'll hear more about it later), and I really liked it, so I commented to my companion that I was going to be writing a positive review of it on the website I booked the hotel through.

I then came across this article on Seth's Blog, which basically talks about how the age of the "professional reviewer" is over (not that professional reviewers are extinct, but a good or bad review from XYZ particular reviewer is generally no longer what makes or breaks a film), and how we're moving into the age of "citizen reviewers."

Seth particularly brings up this point because he wants his readers to by a particular book. Similarly, I'm bringing up this point because I want you guys to write more reviews on the site! Please, do your civic duty and tell us what shows you like and don't like. (Don't feel like you have to write reviews as long as most of the ones you'll see up there-- they can be a bit shorter.)

I know, I've been bad about it too. I'm going to spend some time doing reviews today, since it looks like a pretty quiet news day. :)
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Yes Mam!

Edit: I think I have done that challenge.
Post by Sonata (35,313 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Alright I'd be glad to help out!:)
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I do somewhat agree with his point. It probably is harder for reviewers when anyone who sees a movie instantly goes to Facebook or whatever and tells everyone what they thought. And most people are probably more likely to listen to friends first.

With that said, reviews are one of my least favorite things to write. My opinion is one thing, but I always feel a review should be more objective than I feel I can be. At least that's the case with stuff I like, where I feel more like I'm geeking out over something as opposed to giving a true review.

But I guess I'll see what I can do.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I will get on this hopefully this weekend. So much writing these past couple of weeks, response, creative essay, research  paper, another response, and lastly reviews.  I can't just sit and do a 5 out 10 stars type review.  I have to agree that we're in age where half the time what the critics have to say is not cool. Even being a member of the academy, I still prefer the opinions of my own circle than those of a critic. .Then again it depends on what's being reviewed and the critic and what journal, site, magazine/newspaper they are associated with too. As I say over and over, "Just because it's on the New York Times bestseller list doesn't mean it's good."

" My opinion is one thing, but I always feel a review should be more objective than I feel I can be. At least that's the case with stuff I like, where I feel more like I'm geeking out over something as opposed to giving a true review.

But I guess I'll see what I can do."
Reviews don't have to be objective; that's the point of them. They're for you to state your opinion; granted you should do more than say "This anime sucks because it falls into the shojo category and doesn't involve an overcompensating, buff, male character with a bazooka. " I geek out super hard core when I'm reviewing/analyzing stuff too; I like to write my opinion and see how others respond and then have a big fangirl geek fest. :-)
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel