American Animation or Japanese Animation.

Topic started by Rexic on Feb. 22, 2011. Last post by AgumonKid 3 years, 4 months ago.
Post by Rexic (99 posts) See mini bio Level 19
With this question,I already know most of you will say japanese animation.I am not saying that american is better,but in some aspects it is,like showing people talking and other stuff and not using repeating frames.
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Rexic:
If we're talking about technical stuff, I think Japanese animation is better at "big picture" things like making sure action sequences look amazing.  US animation seems to be better at small stuff though, like making sure lip movements and vocals match up when the scene is normal (like two people just walking down a street), the animation is smoother than what I see in anime a lot of times. 

On major negative for US animation though is that there seemed to be a trend that looking "bad" was cool.  South Park, Family Guy, Ed Edd and Eddy, Rugrats and a bunch of others from all throughout the 90s and 00s seemed to be drawn in a way that's like we can draw well but it's cooler if we make everything like we really suck at drawing.  The only anime that makes me feel that way is Crayon Shin-Chan and Kaasan: Mom's Life.  Possibly related to that, the differences in art style between any two random US cartoons might be night and day while most anime seems more like mild variations on a handful of themes rather than something radically different.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,247 posts) See mini bio Level 21
both of them
Post by Sonata (35,342 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I am a fan of both, some of the DC animated movies have been incredible.
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11
no offense but someone talked about this before on youtube:  what do you think btw? 
 i was thinking about this before. animation and story are totally differents. here he is talking about  anime animation:

Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@SilverGalford said:

" no offense but someone talked about this before on youtube:  what do you think btw? 

"
he said y american animation is better then Japanese animation. which is true, but he didn't explain why anime sucks so he fails

he said y american animation is better then Japanese animation. which is true, but he didn't explain why anime sucks so he fails  

yeah, he missed that point , not only the animation but also the story and the rest . 
anyway  this thread is about animation .
Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@SilverGalford: yes then American animation is better because of the quality

yes then American animation is better because of the quality  

yes another thing ....  if we talk about story , that's another problem in anime ,specially nowadays. 

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@sickVisionz said:

" On major negative for US animation though is that there seemed to be a trend that looking "bad" was cool.  South Park, Family Guy, Ed Edd and Eddy, Rugrats and a bunch of others from all throughout the 90s and 00s seemed to be drawn in a way that's like we can draw well but it's cooler if we make everything like we really suck at drawing. "

That problem still exists.  Phineas and Ferb and Adventure Time are stand out all-ages shows, but their art style is purely functional and offers no real excitement.  Archer is another great show, but it looks (and probably was) like it was made using Flash.  The character design is fitting to a 60's James Bond look, but the motion can be generously described as flat.  They're not the worst examples though.  For that you need look no further than Adult Swim.  While it was kitsch when they turned old 60's cartoons like Space Ghost and Birdman into absurd comedies, they seemed to have taken the success of Aqua Teen Hunger Force and just applied it to practically every show they do.  Squidbillies, Superjail and Mongo Wrestling Alliance are just plain ugly and I can list a dozen more that are equally crude.  If it was the exception rather than the norm it would be okay, but The Boondocks is the only show that appealed to me aesthetically.   

I think somewhere along the way, American animation began to associate ugliness with "not-for-kids".  This was probably because of the underground comic scene in the late 1960s (see R. Crumb & Harvey Pekar) as well as the films of Ralph Bakshi.  This group wanted to distance themselves from the Disney model and in doing so emphasize that their projects weren't all bluebirds and bunnies.  This idea stuck which is why most kids stuff is attractive.  There aren't too many animated films made with an older audience in mind in America.  Over the last 20 or 30 years, Titan A.E. is the only one that springs to mind as attractive and mature (I use that word very loosely).  The Heavy Metal movies look cheap especially when compared to what Japan was doing at the same time.  Rock'n'Rule appears confused as it tries to merge Disney cutesy style with adult themes.   

The direct-to-DVD market has improved some offerings, though.  The DC Universe stuff looks pretty good and other American IP holders are going straight to Japan for their animated features.  The anthologies, Gotham Knight and Halo Legends had some good sequences within them.  I have hopes for the Dragon Age anime due later this year.  But, the sad truth of it is I doubt we'll ever see the same level of quality applied to American animation outside of big-budget films because it's supposed to be for kids and kid's will watch anything.  Just look at He-Man, Masters of the Universe
Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19
In the majority of cases anime and japanese animation is better. I think most of us enjoy anime because of their unique "style" of animation, and we must admire a japanese animator which, with far few framerate can animate much more fluidly than most american animation does. 
Just take a look at the battle scenes of  Birdy decode, i still haven't seen an animation made for tv with that kind of detail and dinamic.  I'm not a connoisseur of american animation (neither anime) but much of the time the only examples to counterbalance japanese animation is disney films, which in certain way is a bit unfair because Disney is a much more renowed company and it's in activity far longer than any of the japaneses companies have, not to mention the ridicuously much higher budgets. 

nothing can't be compared to this :  

the prolem is kids and teenagers today don't watch cartoons too much , you know ,videogames are very popular.
Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Chuck Jones is the greatest director of animation to ever grace the industry in my honest opinion. He happens to be American.
@SilverGalford said:

" nothing can't be compared to this :  

the prolem is kids and teenagers today don't watch cartoons too much , you know ,videogames are very popular. "

That wasn't great, I hated that show when I was a kid

This cartoon I have great respect to 
@SilverGalford:  

yes another thing ....  if we talk about story , that's another problem in anime ,specially nowadays.

Dude, you really seem like you don't watch anime that much. If you look instead of cry about how anime sucks, you would know to find the good stuff

Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
To be fair, Western animation has gotten a lot better recently. (Young Justice, Generator Rex)
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,746 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Animation wise? 

/thread

Dude, you really seem like you don't watch anime that much. If you look instead of cry about how anime sucks, you would know to find the good stuff    

if by good stuff you mean   trigun , fist of the north star , gungrave, samurai champloo , kenshin, saint seiya , street fighter, monster, cowboy bebop, even dbz , that's ok  , i believe you.

but if by good stuff you mean : naruto , bleach,school rumble,lucky star ,azumanga daioh ,grenadier,  haruhi suzumiya, mai hime, fairy tail, black cat, death note, dJ gray , black lagoon,soul eater,rosario + vampire  and things like these , i'm not so sure.
@SilverGalford: 
Wow, it so funny that you don't know any really bad anime is 
School Rumble is one of the best comedy anime and Black Lagoon is a good action show 
It look like you can't open your eyes to new anime

@hitsusatsu11: 
I'll counter you  :)

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel