AlphaVictor #1, the Unofficial Squadcast is here!

Topic started by DocHaus on Sept. 20, 2010. Last post by DocHaus 3 years, 9 months ago.
Post by DocHaus (927 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Well folks, we crawled over several feet of broken glass, dodged many bullets, and allied ourselves with shady loan sharks. We ran into several problems including religious holidays, echoing sound tracks, and copies of Audacity that just felt like crashing at inopportune times just to fuck with us. It may not be perfect, as I had to learn by trial and error to put together a decent-sounding podcast. Much experience was gained through a baptism of fire and there's still a chance I've missed something in the process of finding some place to upload this shitton of data.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT...

The first (un)official Squadcast, which I have decided to title AlphaVictor, is now available for your listening pleasure. This premiere podcast clocks in at just over one hour, and joining me were AV users and Canadian invaders CrazyCanuck and firehawk12. Cogito couldn't make it due to the Ghost in the Machine going on strike from his computer just when we were recording, but I'm sure Cogito would have been with us in spirit. Without further ado, here is the first ever AlphaVictor podcast, the only one where you can hear a group of guys talking about Japanese cartoons. For free. On the internet.

[EDIT: embed code not working, click the link above or right-click and "save as" this link

This being our first show, we decided to stick to the basics: we did a recap of various shows from the soon-to-be-finished summer season, and we made predictions of several shows coming up in the Fall. Also, we took a moment to answer the question of "Is Boondocks Considered Anime?" If all goes as planned, there will be another show in two weeks, so keep your ears peeled. Or to the ground. Or in some position that isn't overtly painful. 

In any case, enjoy, and feel free to leave your own comments and criticisms below. Tell us any relevant questions you want answered or features you would like to see included, and they will be taken into consideration (before you ask, I don't think I have enough e-fame to invite Steve Blum for an interview just yet).
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Maybe I should get in on this...

Either way, giving it a listen.
Post by firehawk12 (31 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Thanks to DocHaus for putting this together and dealing with all my tech problems!  I hope you guys enjoy it!
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
I didn't manage to listen to all of it because I accidentally closed my browser at one point, but I listened to the majority and thought it was pretty entertaining.
Nice to see a community podcast on here. I think I'll pin this thread for a bit so people will see it.
@Newten:  Glad to see you enjoyed it, and thanks for the pin. You're too kind, really.

In other news, I'm still drawing up plans for episode #2, so if anyone wants to ask questions and/or make comments here we will try to answer them in the next one.
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
yeah,if the embed isnt working try a different browser. 

I couldnt embed with the new internet explorer so i switched and everything worked fine.
Post by firehawk12 (31 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Yep, if anyone has any feedback or suggestions or anything they want us to cover before we record next, please let us know. :)
Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Feedback of feedbackiness 
  1. Get a theme! It doesn't have to be unique to start off just get a 10 second clip of some generic anime music to start.
  2. I don't know the legality of it but you could do what the Transmission Awesome podcast does and have some lyric-less music very low in the background to help keep the flow going. Or you could do it Tested style and use a simple theme to break up segments. (this is more down the line advice).
  3. Link Dump! This comes from the Drunk Tank. Link to what you reference if you can. It helps engage the listeners.
  4. Submit to iTunes and get a podcast image. One part helps get more listens the other is my pet peeve. You might want to get a better name before then though.
  5. Do an introduction episode. We don't really know who you are so break those walls down a little more.
All that is stuff I've learnt from listening other podcasts. 
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Wow, just noticed this thread.  Will have to give it a listen sometime soon.
Wow that was very good for a first podcast, well assuming that you have never done one before. 
The link dump suggestion still applies. Also I find the lack of me to un-enjoyable. X D
@damswedon: Glad you liked it, and yes this was my first time ever running/producing a podcast. Second time participating in one if you want to get technical, but the guys I worked with over at Giant Bomb disappeared without showing me the finished product, so yeah...that one doesn't count. I'm actually thinking of adding a 10-second clip of some instrumental, anime-ish tune before or after the show, but that's still in the works.

If you would like to participate in a show, perhaps you could be part of the next one. Send me a PM if you want more info.

As for the linkdump/name/image, well...I'll take them under advisement for now.
Post by Bigheart711 (3,707 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
Giving this a listen...
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,732 posts) See mini bio Level 20
That was peo narration by Haus 

Also Canada ftw
Post by Gaff (213 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Why, thanks guys, more podcasts! As if I didn't have enough to listen to from the WhiskeyMedia family of sites! 

It's not as if I particularly like podcasts, or anything but I'll give it a listen. J-j-j-just don't take it the wrong way, ok?
@DocHaus: I should give you more credit for the name, it was staring in my face but I didn't get. well Oscar Mike.
Post by Gaff (213 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Argh, mobile so no editing my earlier post but:

About a third way through, but either put push to talk on, or build a pop thing for the mic! But that's just me being a dick :p
Post by Bigheart711 (3,707 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
@DocHaus:  This has some real good potential. Good job! :)
Heeeeeeeey folks, Episode #2 is available for your listening pleasure. I made another thread about it here.
Guess what folks? The taping of Episode #3 is happening tomorrow! Will update this post with a link once said recording has been properly edited and posted to the internets.

UPDATE: Episode #3 is out! Forum post here.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel