Afterimages and Speed Calculations.

Topic started by 321zigzag1 on Sept. 15, 2013. Last post by xlab3000 1 year, 2 months ago.
Post by 321zigzag1 (650 posts) See mini bio Level 9

A curiosity thread regarding this board's perception.

Speed is often the hardest thing to perceive thanks to inconsistencies, difference perceptions in how to do so, and that authors never intended us to debate in a multiversal fashion. Some sections like OBD and CBR (first major site to do many years back) which personify this use of calculations for specific indications. Few like gamefaqs like to use afterimages as a better method although more general due to being less prone to error than calculations.

What does this board like to invoke? For example extreme use of calculations have led to several mach 100s for not just Naruto but also HST as well.

Extreme use of relying on afterimage method has led those to say for example like in HST wise, Bleach massively outstrips others in speed including Juubito for example minus like Kizaru because they make so many afterimages while Raikage only made one.

I find both extremes problematic especially the afterimages. What is your perception of things?

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,047 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@321zigzag1: Don't put stock into stuff like afterimages or wooshy speed lines. They are nothing more than special effects to make the movement look cool.

For accurate speed calculations (as accurate as you can get with often inconsistent series) only use things like comparing time to distance.

For example: Character x can get from point a to point b in ___ seconds. This would put them at about ___ speed.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,549 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@321zigzag1: wrong forum

can you move this?

Post by taichokage (14,831 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Well as for calculations, I never count on them entirely. I try to find as many speed references as possible and then scale up or down from those depending on the character. But if you want my opinion I always felt Bleach had the highest average speed, but One Piece has high and too tiers that are faster. I never felt that Naruto quite added up to the other 2 speed-wise other than their Jinchuuriki and strongest taijutsu practitioners.
Online Now
Oh and this should be in General Discussion. Just a heads up.
Post by 321zigzag1 (650 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I apologize. I put it here because I it is the most active and in some ways relevant to this discussion but anyway.

Post by xlab3000 (1,402 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I usually count on the obd calculations.

Post by supernova7005 (1,966 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Creation of afterimages and 'faster than the eye' statements are just speed tropes. Can't use it for calcs.

@xlab3000: OBD is not reliable for mainstream series at all...there's too much bias when it comes to mainstream calcs, not to mention a manga scan is not a video which can be pixel-scaled.

They've now wanked Juubi to continent+ and mach 2400 speeds when it flat out seems retarded.

Post by takashichea (13,845 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@SMXLR8:

Moved thread.

Online Now
Lol Mach 2400! Ouch my insides!
Post by akronawol17 (1,988 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I wouldn't even put juubito at Mach 1000, let alone 2400! That's just wanking right there.
Post by Dream (8,123 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Afterimages, blurs and "faster than the eye" cliches should never be considered for serious scaling of a character's capabilities for speed since, as discussed, they are there for show in a series. Judging time and the amount of distance traveled in that time would be a more reliable means of determining speed.

Fan calcs can be reliable for reference, but shouldn't be considered an absolute truth for a character's capabilities since everyone in this wonderful world can and will be biased to a degree in how they scale and judge the feats of a title.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,755 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@UltimateHero0406 said:

@321zigzag1: Don't put stock into stuff like afterimages or wooshy speed lines. They are nothing more than special effects to make the movement look cool.

For accurate speed calculations (as accurate as you can get with often inconsistent series) only use things like comparing time to distance.

For example: Character x can get from point a to point b in ___ seconds. This would put them at about ___ speed.

I agree with this 100%.

Awesome post btw

Post by TheBlackDragonz (883 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I usually rely on OBD calcs. I try to avoid using pixel scaled ones outside of the OBD though. Ones with proportional distances are alright.
Post by Kobra678 (3,461 posts) See mini bio Level 15

You know that Ippo, Takamura, Miyata, and Brian Hawk were all able to create afterimages while fighting, and they're just normal boxers. I can guarantee that none of them are 1/10 sub mach 1 speed.

Post by dccomicsrule2011 (220 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@xlab3000 said:

I usually count on the obd calculations.

lol OBD calculations are pure nonsense. They really calculated Darth Malik as mach 600 and Obi-Wan as mach 12,000. It's utter garbage to the ninth degree.

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,047 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@DBZ_universe: Thank ya kindly.

I used to believe in afterimages and stuff too but I soon figured that there is nothing to measure them by. I can create afterimages with a pencil anyway lol

Post by DBZ_universe (15,755 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@UltimateHero0406: You are welcome.

Yes they can't be messured...hell Mr Satan also did it but failed and got shot.

Lol I can also make after images with my hand or index finger.

Post by gtg12 (139 posts) See mini bio Level 8

I am very intersted to see how fast Kenshin is. There was two or three instances of him using after images in the anime. If anyone could tell me how fast he truly is that'd be greatly appreciated. I do remember him dodging gatling gun fire by running straight at it but that may be his best speed feet. Sorry for long post.

Post by xlab3000 (1,402 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@dccomicsrule2011: some calcs are good. According the to star wars eu who is stronger Malik or Kenobi

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel