[adult swim]....WTF is up with the anime cutbacks?

Topic started by EganTheVile1 on Sept. 8, 2010. Last post by KingSolomon 3 years, 10 months ago.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Remember the good old days of adult swim where not just Saturday night was completely to anime, but anything after 2 AM on weekdays as well? Heck for a short while after Cartoon Network got wise to the fact running kiddie shows all night on Friday didn't make any sense, Friday became an anime night as well, but now no anime on weekdays, and two hours of lead in american comedy shows on Saturday.... WTF?
Post by Necrotoxin (30 posts) See mini bio Level 8
They just don't get the amount of viewers they want for anime. Their large numbers come from shows like Family Guy, so unfortunately that means less anime. 
Post by Dream (7,093 posts) See mini bio Level 20
The anime boom in America sunk years ago. It's back to being a niche thing so it won't be getting as much exposure as it did during the peak of Toonami's popularity.
Post by DocHaus (922 posts) See mini bio Level 18
As I've said before, it's much cheaper to scribble a crayon drawing and have Dana Snyder dub a voiceover for it in America than to license a show from Japan where you have no guarantee if people will like it or not. The Boondocks might be an exception to this rule (does it count as OEL anime? I've been wondering if I should add that show to AV.), but that show is done because Aaron McGruder is reportedly tired of pulling his hair out in frustration just dealing with the execs at Sony.

Also, what Dream said.
Post by The_Archive (2 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I'm hoping that they get rid of crap like Family Guy off of Cartoon Network and put in some newer anime's, we already see shows like Family Guy on like 9 other channels.  The only non anime I like watching on AS is Robot Chicken and possibly the Boondocks
You know it may be interesting if Cartoon Network actually used the original gory adult language filled versions of shows they have had on their network in the past like Sailor Moon and Voltron, both those were pretty harsh compared to the american versions, but think they could get away with showing them uncut violence wise on adult swim, and maybe even keep in some of Sailor Moon's bi-sexual overtones.
Post by Caligula (75 posts) See mini bio Level 11
i like less Anime on TV. it keeps the emo/poser otaku out of my Anime
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Would love to see Adult Swim become more anime-based like Toonami was (1990's thru 2006), but I can not see it happening.

Only having Bleach, FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and the other one (Ke-something-ashi...I keep blundering that name up) as well as re-runs of InuYasha is not enough. SyFy sometimes plays Monster and they did Gurren Lagann when it was airing several years ago.
Post by obscurefan (216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@caligula said:
" i like less Anime on TV. it keeps the emo/poser otaku out of my Anime "
I have to admit there is a part of me that kind of feels the same way, I kind of do like it being just something that we enjoy, just us anime folks rather than everybody getting into it just because its big now.
Syfy's animondays I could get behind if they structured what series they show better, hate watching it getting into a series and having them show something completely different the next week, come to think about it they showed the uncut episodes of Voltron already, my bad on forgetting that
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Anime on Adult Swim doesn't make the company any money, or at least not as much as they could make running reruns of shitty live-action shows like Delocated. In some cases in the past, the North American distributer even subsidized the airing to anime shows on the Cartoon Network which is against the norm.  In most cases, the network pays the content provider money to be able to air their show and thus make money from selling the ad space around that show.  In this case, the content provider paid CN to broadcast the show.  This wasn't a good faith thing, but a form of advertising for the DVD/BD sales.  If a show airs on CN then sales of it's DVDs will greatly increase.  Of course, Code Geass aired at 4 and 5 in the morning, so I'm not sure how big a help that is to anyone. 

@Dream said:

" The anime boom in America sunk years ago. It's back to being a niche thing so it won't be getting as much exposure as it did during the peak of Toonami's popularity. "

I believe this is right.  Even the music & video stores have greatly dialed back the number of anime shows they stock these days.  Like comic books went from boom to bust in the 90's, anime in North America has gone from Toonami everyday to 2 am on a Saturday morning.   

Feels good to be part of the outcasts again.  
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I feel like the anime boom stopped because cartoon network made it a niche genre. They put all the programs on late at night when kids are sleeping, if they mainstreamed it like they did with us (after school hours) They would get a lot more views.
Post by Dream (7,093 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@rein: I also think part of it also had to do with the Internet. Over the years, it has become much easier to get episodes of your favorite anime online because Internet coverage has become more expanded and getting content from online has become more accessible through sites and programs like Youtube or Bittorent, the same reason MTV's just about killed off nearly all music coverage on their network. If you can get the episodes from a fansub months to years before the title is licensed and aired in the states, what reason would you have to watch it on TV while you can watch it from online where the Japanese version is much further ahead than the American run?
Post by T4RTERS4UCE (2 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I don't think anime necessarily got at all smaller, but Cartoon Network decided they could make more money by showing popular American cartoons and cheap live-action shows. 

I would have thought that Anime is larger than it has ever been. I recently had a talk with a stoner at my school about anime and how FLCL is his favorite even though you have to watch it a couple times before you really get it, y'know man?
Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Could be worse here in the UK the only Anime you can see on TV is the stuff for kids. Everything else is DVD or if your lucky streaming over the internet via Crunchyroll or Funimation.
@damswedon said:
" Could be worse here in the UK the only Anime you can see on TV is the stuff for kids. Everything else is DVD or if your lucky streaming over the internet via Crunchyroll or Funimation. "
If you can use Hulu.com and Fancast.com (and I sure hope you can) uncut Naruto Shippuden episodes and numerous other anime are available, you can also get some anime from adultswim.com (Bleach, FMA, Cowboy Bebop ext.)

Oh and I forgot to mention IFC (independent Film Channel) is getting into showing some great anime every so often from 11 to midnight, sometimes 11 to 1 AM
Post by KingSolomon (66 posts) See mini bio Level 7

This was already pitched, but ill put my spin on it as well. Anime gone down in the states cause really if ya want to watch and ya have a computer with the internet thats what your gonna do, that goes basically for everything. My favorite joke so far is for a preview of Saturday Night Live, they say they're air dates are saturday night and for most of america sunday morning on hulu.com.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel