A question to the anime community

Topic started by CallmeBrent on July 27, 2012. Last post by sotyfan16 1 year, 12 months ago.
Post by CallmeBrent (98 posts) See mini bio Level 8

How do you, as a fan, deal with much repetition when it comes to Japanese comedy in anime? If you look at it from a logical standpoint, many(if not all) Japanese comedy is either about one of two things - fanservice/boobs and tsundere females.

To me, it was funny when I saw it in a few episodes, but now I can't find it funny anymore. I just can't. It's like that saying "too much of anything is bad for you". Well, it has come to that point. You either have some guy ogling a girl for her boobs, or a tsundere female punch a guy(which I find sexist btw. If you notice, it's always the female punching the male. I understand it's a cartoon, but the symbolism is there. What it represents is there. Japanese culture is very different than American culture. You can see the equality in American jokes when a man punches a woman and she punches back, and everyone laughs. But in Japan, it's not like that. It's too one-sided, and I find that sexist as a viewer.) Every single anime out there, their jokes have a primary basis of these two repeated and recycled elements. I just wanted to know how people still find this funny? Do they not want originality? Something new? When you look at American comedy, one might say that the jokes are the same, but how they are presented and delivered is completely original. Japanese anime comedy? Nope. A guy walks into a room and gets randomly hit or something like that. Or a woman gets swarmed by 100 men at the beach who wants her boobs just because of the pervertedness that is overused in Japanese comedy. And then her boobs jiggle under some unexplained phenomena that defies all logic which feeds to the pervertedness. Both the men and the boobs play a part together. Both are one in the same. Both are very repetitive and overused. Like when Ed Elrics gets back, and Winry hits him with a wrench. No logical reason behind it. If she misses him, hitting him with a wrench shows affection? I don't see how that does. It's just a ridiculous use of recycled comedy that I cannot fathom my mind around the fact that people still find this funny. Lol. I just don't, and I want to know why and how people still find this funny? Is it funny to see a repetitive cycle of boobs and violence, used very unoriginally with how the jokes are presented and executed?
((BTW, you probably won't even reply to this question, but hey. I tried. Lol.))
Sincerely,
Brent
Post by rubberluffy (569 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Because some people do? If it bothers you, don't watch it. You're teetering very close into "HOW DARE YOU LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T LIKE" territory. Also there are plenty of little-to-no fanservice comedies out there: Azumanga Daioh, Seto no Hanayome, Hare+Guu, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Detroit Metal City, Yakitate!! Japan, just to name a few.

Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@CallmeBrent: A lot of Japanese comedy hasn't quite passed the manzai routine. You probably saw it before: Person A says/does something insane with a normal demeanor, and Person B overreacts while playing the "straight man." Yes, they do get annoying and even painful to watch at times, and I usually just ignore it or stop watching when they come across. But there are a handful of them that pull off the comedy part well without using manzai routine, like in Daily Lives of Highschool Boys or Joshiraku (to name a couple of recent examples).

Also, please use the Enter key a couple more times. Thank you.

@rubberluffy said:

Because some people do?

Dumbest response. If you respond like that to life, may god have mercy on you. Not questioning things rationally and logically does not advance/progress humanity.

Next time, give a smart answer.

"Why is the sun yellow? Because it is." LOL! That's what your answer sounds like.

Post by Tiferet (149 posts) See mini bio Level 6
@rubberluffy: Come on, dude! Shame on you! How dumb.  Can't you see, this is serious! This guy needs answers, and you are coming dangerously close to ruining his life!

@CallmeBrent
Because, in some people, that works. It works because when they see it, it triggers the flow of serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain, and that neurotransmitter aids in feelings of joy. Hence, it makes them happy, in a funny way.

@Tiferet: Oh wow. Next are you gonna write a Dr. Seuss book? Cuz you so funny!

@CallmeBrent: Nah. Doc Seuss was amateur, and way too idealistic.

@Tiferet: BTW, you still didn't answer why people find it funny. So next time, don't answer what, answer why. Okay, Dr. Seuss?

@CallmeBrent: Well, actually, I did. They find it funny because of serotonin. You wanna, maybe go give it another look.

@Tiferet: Serotonin is a product of WHAT happens when someone finds something funny. There is still the trigger of WHY someone finds something funny and causes the WHAT = Serotonin to be released. Nice try.

@CallmeBrent: Stimulation, that is, the sight of the guy getting hit, and maybe the *BONK!* sound that accompanies it. There are receptors that initiate serotonin release, such as muscarinic receptors, NMDA receptors, noradrenergic receptors. The receptors that control serotonin release would be the autoreceptors 5HT1A and 1B. Generally, it's affected by other things too, like exercise, eating, sleep, et cetera.
Post by rubberluffy (569 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Your attempts to be intellectually superior fall flat when you litter everything you say with "LOL".

Some people like that kind of humor. This has absolutely zero affect on you. Nobody forces you to watch/read it. I don't watch a bunch of "ecchi comedies" but apparently a lot of people do, and they like them, so they get made because it brings in money. Oh fucking well. I'll be elsewhere watching/reading the stuff I do like instead of obsessing over the stuff I don't. Learn to accept that people like different things, and that sometimes media is made for the people who like things different than what you like. If you don't want that kind of stuff, support what you do like.

When someone asks me why I think something is funny, "because I do" is the most appropriate response. I just do. What more could I say? How am I supposed to elaborate on that? Trying to apply critical thinking to why something makes you (or anyone else) laugh is a pointless endeavor. It is too personal and subjective. Every brain is different. Every personality is different. If your plan is say everyone that who likes repetitious boob jokes is somehow sexist, well, I can't really tell you how flawed that is. Sure, Person A might be sexist. Person B might find humor in how over-exagerrated it all is. Person C might just think EVERYTHING is funny. Person D might just be a girl who thinks boobs in general are funny.

So, in conclusion, WHO FUCKING CARES. Also you're being an asshole.

I like him, this guy.
Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@Tiferet: I tip my hat to you sir.

@Elfenlied1012: Eh? Well thanks. I'll take that anyway.
Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@Tiferet said:

I like him, this guy.

Aww thanks! You're too kind.

@asian_pride: Then you must be special. I'm usually a jackass. Sometimes. To some people. Kinda often.
Post by sickVisionz (4,234 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@CallmeBrent said:

@rubberluffy said:

Because some people do?

Dumbest response. If you respond like that to life, may god have mercy on you. Not questioning things rationally and logically does not advance/progress humanity.

Yeah, because an anime message board post about jiggle titties in cartoons is totally gonna have a major role in advancing humanity...

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,171 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@CallmeBrent:

How do you, as a fan, deal with much repetition when it comes to Japanese comedy in anime? If you look at it from a logical standpoint, many(if not all) Japanese comedy is either about one of two things - fanservice/boobs and tsundere females.

Wrong, if you only watch ecchi comedies (and sometime Shonen have them). Not all anime comedies are like that, it mostly manzai and Japanese puns. So I suggest to you, probably just stay way from ecchi comedies (since that where it mostly is) or just ignore it.

This review might help you understand

Also here how I deal with it

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

There are plenty of comedies that have little to no fanservice. Those series are a bit more character and story driven. Other examples than those stated above are Angel Beats!, Ah! My Goddess, FLCL, Okamisan, S.A., and Maid-Sama.

But like others have stated as well; if you don't like something then don't watch it. There are lots of shows I pass on because they don't fall into the genres I like (even if they are good shows that are largely liked).

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel