A Challenger Appears! Anime Midstream Grabs Raijin-Oh

Topic started by gia on Dec. 22, 2008. Last post by HSaabedra 6 years ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh
Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh
Well, that's not something I expected to see this time of year and in this economy: Anime on DVD got a press release from Anime Midstream, which is a new US-based anime company. They've acquired the license to Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh, a Power Rangers-esque anime from 1991. Here are their words:

The first series produced for the Eldoran franchise funded by Tomy and produced by Sunrise. It aired in Japan from April 3, 1991 to March 25, 1992. The story revolves around a group of elementary school children who are given command of a mecha named Raijin-Oh and their efforts to defend the Earth from the evil Jaku Empire.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the license (and how). Will they market it at kids, or at hardcore anime fans? Try to get it on TV, or stick to a DVD release-- or maybe even Internet-based?

In any case, it's a brand new company working out of St. Louis, MO, and I have to admit that the existence of a donations request page on their official website doesn't necessarily bode well for their business plan...but it should be interesting to watch. I'm already getting in touch with them to see if I can ask a few questions.

Post by ScottGreen (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Hopefully this wouldn't be another New Galaxy Anime to announce something (Unico in that case) and then go silent.
ScottGreen: that's exactly what I was thinking...except that I really, really, REALLY want Unico DVDs. I'm not at all familiar with this title. ^^;
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
If this doesnt have a guy in tights screaming Shining Finger in it, it can't be worth it :}
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I'm all for people trying to pick up more obscure shows from '80s and '90s, but I don't know how well a new company will do in this current economic state. I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out.
Niko: Yeah, a few of us have been discussing on IRC, for example, whether they have a shot at getting picked up on TV or not.
Post by HSaabedra (136 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I sent off an interview request not too long ago, so we'll see how that goes.  There's a market for this sort of thing, but there's really not much info besides the press release to go on.  The company is much too small to get the show picked up on TV at this point unless they work out a pay for play deal, which wouldn't be wise.
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
WHOA. WHOA. RAIJIN-OH?! SERIOUSLY? WOW.

That is seriously one of the first anime series I've ever seen. Sure, it was a hilarious Chinese dub, but still. I have many fond memories of it. o_o I'm seriously shocked that anyone would consider picking up such an old and obscure series, especially now, especially a new company. Bizarre indeed! I definitely want to know how this plays out.
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Okay, nevermind. After taking a look at Anime Midstream's website, my opinion of this took a nosedive. It's kind of a let down, really. :< I blogged about it in-depth here.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 6
This is all kinds of wow.
Post by RedZBaylon (32 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I saw this when I was a little kid in the Philippines. It was fucking awesome back then, when the mecha pilots would get support from their fellow classmates when the whole classroom transformed into a command center. Good times.
Post by HSaabedra (136 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Just to let everyone know, I have an interview up with the Executive Producer of Raijin-Oh, Jimmy Taylor here.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel