2nd Big Live LIVE Show Live Review

Topic started by FoxxFireArt on Sept. 13, 2011. Last post by ChristinaAV 3 years ago.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Big Live Show 2 kicks off
Big Live Show 2 kicks off

It was on Friday September 9th that Whiskey Media celebrated two years of the site mergers and subscription benefits with it's Big Live Live Show. I wrote a blog review after the first one, and thought it would be appropriate to give it another go. The show consisted of eight full hours of live entertainment hosted by the stars of the various Whiskey brands....minus one.

First off, I really do have to express a lot of gratitude to the Whiskey Media staff for adding the stream to the front page of Anime Vice. I saw the stream up for all the sites, except Anime Vice and Tested hours before the show was to begin. One hour before the show's start, I saw the stream added to Anime Vice. I spent most of my time in the Anime Vice chat. It made for a great conversation, and I was able to suggest some anime and manga series to some new users.

The Good

Ryan held the duty of host for all 8 hours
Ryan held the duty of host for all 8 hours

Ryan's hosting was exemplary as per usual through the length of the show. Some of the couch stuff made for some of the best laughs of the show. The music was at times both engrossing and hilarious. I don't think I had ever expected to hear an eleven string bass be played together with a ukulele. We haven't seen a collaboration as unlikely as that since Aerosmith and Run DMC. The Dance Central 2 content almost seems as if it's scheduled to be released with the Live Show. It was on last year's show. Too bad it didn't get a little extra time to watch more of the staff compete in the game. That's full of entertainment potential.

Sara and Tony talk to the Justice League after their confrontation with Emporio Ivankov
Sara and Tony talk to the Justice League after their confrontation with Emporio Ivankov

Comic Vine had a nice interview with three members from the Gender Bending Justice League. That was nice, but I couldn't help thinking that they were basically what would happen if Emporio Ivankov was ever let loose in the DC Universe. Sara was being her usual charming self, and Tony really seemed to love his Batman ski mask. Whenever he wears that thing I keep thinking he's going to rob a bank. I always enjoy it when James Robinson is on the Comic Vine Podcast. Seeing him on camera for an interview was equally nice. I was rather surprised to see the people in the AV chat didn't seem to happy about him.

Tony and Sara interview Geoff Johns on the DC New 52
Tony and Sara interview Geoff Johns on the DC New 52

Anyone who was bothered by the fact the Comic Vine interview was prerecorded for the Live Show really needs to relax. I thought it was completely reasonable. Geoff Johns is kind of a busy guy at the moment. He probably really wanted to do the interview, but couldn't make time for it on Friday. They record the spot when time was convenient for the man, and they kept it until they needed it to air. Not everyone can just drop their plans for Whiskey Media.....but they should.

The Third Society. Proof that direct to DVD can be used for great evil.
The Third Society. Proof that direct to DVD can be used for great evil.

The Screening Room for the Screened segment was one of those films that was just so horrible that it was so much fun watching it be mocked. It really brought me back to the joys of Mystery Science Theater 3000. When I saw them giving that film away as I prize. I couldn't tell if it was a gift or a punishment.

Lock picking contest. Your homes are no longer safe from Norm. He won.
Lock picking contest. Your homes are no longer safe from Norm. He won.

Norm and Will from Tested were entertaining, and that surprise upset in their lock picking was a hoot. Out of those two, it doesn't matter who wins or loses. Their reactions are always fun to watch. I was sad to see that Gary Whitta never got involved in any of the on camera shenanigans. As an artist, I was really interested in Norm's interview with the guy who made replica weapons based from games. Norm also had some very nice photography tips for cosplay and conventions.

The Bad

I think this just comes to personal taste, but I very much didn't enjoy the Star Craft 2 coverage, and it went on for FAR too long. I watched that, and I have no idea what the hell is going on. I'm hearing all these words that I think are being used in sentences. It has to do with economies and that's pretty much where I zone out. If it hadn't been for the chat. I might've dozed off.

I do wish the Comic Vine staff had more segments. They have a lot of personality that I feel deserved more time. It felt a little short in that area. I could really have done with more comic talk and a lot less Star Craft.

It was just too bad that Tom Pinchuk couldn't make it for the Live Show this year. It would've been nice for him to host some segment for the Anime Vice audience. Even if it was just a short give away for a few manga volumes or DVD box set. The guy has a lot of charm and personality.

Verdict 7/10

Brought to you by these fine people
Brought to you by these fine people

It can't be denied that a ton of hard work was put into this year's Live Show. That should be appreciated above all else when it comes down to it. I had a lot of fun, and it was a great opportunity to chat with some of the users on Anime Vice live. I understand why the Star Craft 2 segment was in the show, but it went on far too log for my liking.

I didn't take part in any of the subscriber only features, because I'm not one. So I can't really speak to that content in this review.

I had to leave near the end of the show to meet some people for dinner. Last part I saw was Norm chopping fruit with a katana that he was wielding as if it was a baseball bat. I think that was near the finale. I hope it all worked out well for them and they got even more members. The gang at Whiskey Media worked hard and the outcome shows. Hope they got some rest during the weekend.

-Kristoffer Remmell (FoxxFireArt) is a freelance graphic artist, writer, and over all mystery geek.- Follow for news updates: @ animevice / @ FoxxFireArt

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Man, Starcraft 2 was the best part for me. Kinda sad I missed the bulk of it in the live airing. Pretty cool that they got Spanishiwa to do a few show matches for them though.

Post by ChristinaAV (28 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I watched most of the live show too (missed the first 2 hours) and I really enjoyed it. I didn't have as much fun as the first one, but that was probably because I loved watching Rorie and Will be completely drunk! Haha. I personally loved the Comic Vine segments, but I saw a lot of people in the chat got a little bored with them. However, the Starcraft bored me so it all evens out. Each to their own I guess.

Post by rorie (3 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Staff

Glad you had a good time! I'm also fairly glad that we're on the other side of it, though. Back to the grindstone, I guess.

Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

That guy in the Batman mask was kinda weird.

@ChristinaAV:

I would like to make a suggestion over on Screened for an anime movie for the Screening Room. Something like Summer Wars that has such a larger appeal. Though, film wide the Evangelion Rebuild are stronger as far as "art".

@GMan:

Yet, oddly intriguing. Who was that masked man?

Post by takashichea (12,348 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Since I missed most of it due to class last Friday, I check it out on Giant Bomb especially the Comic Vine segment. I came in when they were dancing for a video game. That's all I remember.

Thanks FoxxFireArt for the review.

@FoxxFireArt: They watched Ponyo a few weeks ago on the Screening Room Withdrawal group.

@ChristinaAV:

They should of told someone over here on Anime Vice about that. It would of been a good cross community event. I often write articles for the front page. I would've happy to spread the word about that.

@FoxxFireArt: Well there isn't actually a proper screening room anymore, it's just a community run one. Rorie opens the chat up for them on screened and they just decide what to watch themselves. You should go over there and suggest some films.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel