3-Minute Expert: Glorious Gattai

Topic started by gia on Jan. 29, 2010. Last post by going_grimdark 1 year, 11 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 25
 This really is a classic theme. Good choice.

This was also done to rather comical effect in One Piece. They have a combination tactic called "Pirates Docking Six - BIG EMPEROR".

There was just one thing I never quite got about Yoko's reaction to the Gattai. She just looks like she's really into the idea. She just 'really' likes combining, or she was thinking of something dirty.
Post by danielm (85 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
GATTAIIII!!!!! 

Awesome Gia, very interesting. Gonna watch Gurren Laggan this weekend, lookin forward to it! Thanks for the recommendation
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Anime needs more human Gattai.
Post by Kelleth (7,798 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Barom One`s anime might be new but as far as human Gattai goes he and Ultraman Ace are the grandaddy`s of Gattai Barom One predates Getter Robo by 5 years :)
  But that doent change that Getter Robo is waaaaay more awesome XD
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Gattai.... 

I'm not a fan of mech anime... but thanks for this... Now I know a new word!
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I would like to gattai with the girl in...never mind. Dirty thoughts.
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Than you get the failed fusions like Veku  

Post by Lance_McCloud (67 posts) See mini bio Level 6
This is indeed a great trope, and as a big mecha fan its one of my favorites. I'm also happy to see Godannar  in there, really good series if you look past all the fanservice. Great video series as well, keep up the good work. So, here are some more good examples of gattai not in the video:

Best of them all, Genesic GaoGaiGar:

And two more below...
Just throwing it out there
Post by highhorse (7 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I have one thing to say, 00 Raiser.
Post by FLStyle (423 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Skip to six minutes to watch Giant Gattai robot vs. Giant Gattai robot. Old School epicness.
Post by GrandMarshal (152 posts) See mini bio Level 10
AHHHH! so much shouting, why cant they just say Gattai?
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I never knew that their was a word for fusing of mechs.  I learned a new word for one of my all time favortie animes of all time Go lion/Voltron and it's Gattai.  Cool stuff.  So Go lion/Voltron isn't just Mech anime. 

Just look at the different openings between Go lion and Voltron and see what show you would want to watch. 

I still think the best Gattai is from Voltron and here it is. 

I can`t let you gus get away with posting Gattai vids without Toku in it :P  

Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Oneesama: Never, ever underestimate the ability of the Japanese to narrate exactly what is going on on the screen.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
@danielm said:
" GATTAIIII!!!!!  Awesome Gia, very interesting. Gonna watch Gurren Laggan this weekend, lookin forward to it! Thanks for the recommendation "
Did you watch it this weekend??!!  Slacker, I bet you didn't
Post by danielm (85 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@ethan: How DARE you accuse me of being a slacker. And if you MUST know, I did watch it this weekend, but somehow, I completely forgot what happened in it...guess I'll have to watch it again this week to refresh my mind on it. Then write an article! I promise I'll watch it this week (for the 2nd time, to refresh my memory). Haha.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@gia: Win for Boukenger and Gingaman clips.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
@danielm said:
" @ethan: How DARE you accuse me of being a slacker. And if you MUST know, I did watch it this weekend, but somehow, I completely forgot what happened in it...guess I'll have to watch it again this week to refresh my mind on it. Then write an article! I promise I'll watch it this week (for the 2nd time, to refresh my memory). Haha. "
It's hard to remember things when you did them drunk.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel