FUNi Pulls FMA Brotherhood

Topic started by gia on May 31, 2009. Last post by Kuro 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Those of you who may not have understood why yesterday's news about FUNimation's release of One Piece episode #403 getting distributed worldwide by an unknown user who compromised FUNi's servers was such a big deal, perhaps this will help lay the issue clear.

FUNimation has pulled Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood from their video network. No statements have been released as to why yet (it's Sunday after all) but there are many possible explanations. The most benign is that they took them down while re-evaluating their servers' security. On the other hand, they've left Phantom up-- but Phantom isn't the big-name release FMA is. FMA is still available on Hulu, and the first four episodes are still on YouTube.

Still, it seems more likely (and this is all speculation on my part, of course) that the Japanese companies through which FUNimation licensed FMA for online release have requested that the episodes be pulled. And hopefully if that's the case, it's merely a temporary measure to assure security of the episodes.

Let me reiterate that this is speculation and that until we hear word from FUNimation on the matter, we do not actually know why FMA has been pulled-- but I expect that we'll hear pretty soon.
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
This is what I get for not having time to watch it Thursday and being stubborn about seeing it off FUNi's site, isn't it. >:(

Saddddd. So sadddd.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Kiriska: That's exactly what's so ridiculous about this-- it completely ruins things for the people who DO want to support legitimate releases ><;
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Fansubs here I come.
Post by DJTyrant (118 posts) See mini bio Level 2
As long as this temporary (I'll say a week) then I'm fine with this; but I think this is a major overeaction by the Japenese companies, but that's just me. All we can do now is just sit and wait.
@gia: Some people just like to ruin things for everyone, though I don't think it's unfair to say that FUNi really should have seen this sort of thing coming and not had nonexistent security on their servers.

@DJTyrant: Agreed. I think I can wait another week before digging out the fansubs, though I don't really want to act like I'm entitled to this stuff. :\ It's just such a huge disappointment to take one step forward and two steps back.
Post by DJTyrant (118 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I am thankful that it still is on Hulu *cross fingers* because I honestly like Hulu's player the most out of all the video players out there, and I've only seen up to episode 1 so I still need to catch up!
Post by Agent_Lost (1,124 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Let me get that straight, the only way right now to see FMA right now is via fan sub and raw. Since I live out side of the state, Hulu is a piece a junk. At least I click on the link and let it run on the background, to says that there interest in that series.
Post by Gundampilotspaz (28 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Well there goes that experiment. Gentlement start your bittorrents! 
Post by paploo (48 posts) See mini bio Level 2
ann's reporting that FMAB is still being posted on Hulu and Youtube by Funi, and is apparently only off Funi's site
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Aww fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
   Well that greatly displeases as one was enjoying Funimation's streaming.

Darn, I look forward to reading their press release about this. :-(
Post by BloodRavyne (88 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I was already watching the fansubs so this doesnt effect me.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I'd say it's a temporary measure while they try and secure their site.
Neither Hulu nor YouTube are up-to-date with the episodes.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 6
People suck.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel